Starvation mode... is it real

Kfizzle

Does a body really go into "starvation mode" and start storing fat again when the kcal deficit is too great, and if so, what is too much of a deficit?

My theory on this is that in a calorie deficit over extended time or an extreme calorie deficit (not recommended at all) the body will slow its metabolism process but will not actually cause weight gains. It may store fat but not for long as that's the first source the body will use for energy outside of the food it is readily digesting.  If you burn more calories than you consume in a day you WILL lose weight. No doubt about it. You will lose muscle as well if not getting adequate protein. So depending on what you consider starvation mode depends on if It's real. Most people consider it to be a fat gaining no weight losing phase the body goes into. This I believe to be untrue. 

Anyone agree or disagree with this ? 

Outlawthing

I agree  I found that small deficits are best to keep muscle but I guess it really depends on if the Person is focused on weight or body fat %  most of us are only concerned with bf but I know alot of women only look at the number they weigh as there goal 

alquartermain

starvation mode is so overated... human body is DESIGNED with withstand periods on no feed... its works better less fed  than over fed