Strength Training

Titanings

Ok I was doing some reading and I found this:

http://www.building-muscle101.com/best-repetition-range-to-build-muscle.html

Now basically what it says is if your flat bench 1RepMax is 205 then do this workout-

warm up set-20 reps at 40% of 1RM so 20x100 pounds then rest 1 min

1set-12 reps at 55% of your 1RM so 12x115 pounds then rest 1 min

2set-8 reps at 65% of your 1RM so 8x135 pounds then rest 1 min

3set-8 reps at 75% of your 1RM so 8x155 pounds then rest 1 min

4set-8 reps at 85% of your 1RM so 8x175 pounds

Then next week do the exact same thing with same weights and shoot for 9 reps  on your 4th set at 85% of your 1RM so 9x170 pounds, then next week exact same thing but go for 10 reps on 4th set, etc until you actually make 12 reps at 85% of your 1RM so 12x175 pounds.

That should increase your 1RM from 205 to 230. Then once you can get 12 reps start over and do the same exact weight and reps except for add 15 pounds to the 4th set so your doing 8x190 pounds with the goal of moving up to 12x190 pounds so your 1RM has increased again.

Now for the questions: If you can do 8 reps at 170 pounds on set 4, then why only do 8 reps on sets 3 and 2 when obviously your able to easily do 8 reps without failure on those 2 sets?

Second question: I take it this is just the beginning part of your workout (since its a compound movement) that will be the flat bench version of your workout and the rest of your workout would be included after so that you can get in the volume needed for hypertrophy since this is obviously a strength training exercise.

Third question: When you finally reach the 12x175 pounds on your 4th set and start over...why not increase all sets by 15 pounds instead of just the 4th set??

Whats your guys thoughts on this?

I am really hoping WarpedLifter will chime in here and give his opinion since strength training is his specialty :)

D

Dont_trip

here this site is going to training philosphys etc I'm tired of drug talk we all know about drugs and we don't need to have a Martha Stuart's diet talk like they preach on eroids.....training baby hardcore steel busting training that's what we should be about good post brother you got my blood flowing and my heart racing!!!!!!+1

Titanings

Glad to hear I got you fired up DT! After the other thread you started of heavy vs light weights it got me fired up and doing a lot more research, reading, and video watching about training so glad I could return the favor. I figured that there is ALWAYS room for improvement in training, and some of these threads have lots of new and interesting ideas in them.

I am thinking about incorporating this strength training part for my next cycle to try it out. That's why I am hoping to get others opinions on it. My thinking is to do a strength routine for flat bench on chest day followed by hypertrophy training for the rest of chest day. Then do strength routine for Deadlifts on back day followed by hypertrophy training for the rest of back day. Then do strength squat training for leg day, followed by hypertrophy training for the rest of leg day. And the goal is to base it all off of something like this bench press strength training routine that is mentioned above, because I think the numbers can simply be swapped over and it can be done without too much stress on joints and tendons.

My thinking behind that is I can increase my strength safely without damaging tendons, joints, etc. Then that should allow me to do more heavy weights and hypertrophy training and increase my overall mass in a safe way by combining some strength training with hypertrophy training. Since in the end my overall goal is mass.

Whats your guys thoughts on this?