sugar after workout

Papa.Smurf0311

Ive always read that your body/ muscles crave sugar after an intense workout. what is everyone's go to sugar source for post workout if any at all?

Dolf

The source of sugar that's best post workout is glucose. Gummy bears, pixie sticks, and bottle caps are good sources of glucose.

Glucose post workout is more easily converted to glycogen which is what the body needs post workout.

ashop

I use a product called Glycofuse (HBCD). I remember Jay Cutler always drinking a Coke right after training.

Papa.Smurf0311

thanks for the input guys. I have been drinking cranberry juice after my workouts but just wanted to see what other people were doing.

Dolf

It's been a few years since I've studied and researched this topic, and I could be mistaken but I believe fructose which is the sugar that's in fruits is very close to being a low glycemic carb. For the effect your looking for a high glycemic sugar needs to be used. I'm sure the cranberry juice has added sugar and you can check what kind of sugar has been added.

What you're looking for is a quick conversion of sugar to glycogen and a spike in insulin. The faster you achieve this post workout the more effective your protein shake and meal will be in terms of what your body needs.

Papa.Smurf0311

Dolf, absolutely brother. I drink it usually directly right after my workout. then i go straight to my protein shake. so what youre saying is that I would need simple sugars to achieve this? and cranberry juice would be a simple sugar source. also im almost sure it has added sugars.

Dunbar

Mmmmm Pixy Stix.... Stan the rhino preaches orange juice. I usually go with whatever carb source is convenient. Post workout meal is guaranteed to absorb

Papa.Smurf0311

absolutely. I feel like since ive been drinking cranberry juice directly after my workouts, followed by my protein shake that my muscles have been absorbing more nuetrients than if i didnt. I may try the gummy bear/ pixy stix thing but i will say that I am liking the crannberry juice

Dunbar

Sweet! Yeah the juice absorption to me seemed way better than a carb powder too. Not sure why