The Basics

Dexter

Ladies, if you are wanting to gain muscle and improve your shape and curves, then you are going to have to lift some heavy weights. The time of lifting light weight for 200 reps is OVER! Yes! You are free of that 5lb dumbbell. Guess what, if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you! Go ahead and increase the weight! I'm not saying that performing high reps (15-20 rep range) is not beneficial, because it is, BUT it is not the best way to gain muscle MASS. Below is a GENERALIZED REP RANGE equaling how MY body responds. Sure, yours may indeed respond to the ranges differently. This is just a guideline.

1-5 reps = Strength (choose a weight you can lift for 1 rep but not more than 5 reps)

6.12 = Hypertrophy (choose a weight that you can lift for at least 6 reps but not more than 12 reps)

12+ = Endurance

BobbyO190

What do you do about tendon strain?

I find that if I try to do that level of weight without a spot (I rarely have a spotter) that I damage a joint/tendon/ligament or muscle within a matter of days. I have only been able to avoid injury by building to the 15rep range from 10rep maximum and then going up a level in weight.

So please please I would love to know your secret if you have one as I would love to be able to rotate in some high weight low rep options to my annual schedule. (PS If the secret is you are young feel free to not post that - HA)

dixona1986

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it works for me. First of all, I stretch before I do anything. Literally, ANYTHING. Second, I take baby steps. I had a back injury a few years ago, and I couldn't walk. I was supposed to exercise, but I could only do one squat without screwing something up. (I know that sounds extreme, but that's how bad it was.) So, I did that one squat every day for a week. And then I moved up to a few squats, and so on. Now, I do that with everything. If I want to increase reps, I do it one at a time. It may take longer, but I don't wind up with an injury.