Training For Life Demands

SemperFi

I had a very good conversation with a life long friend last night and we were talking about being fit in a way to survive life demands. That has me wondering.... As I age am I adjusting my training goals to meet life's changing demands on my body? Or are am I simply training to look a certain way?

When I was getting closer to 50 I began to see it was getting harder to improve areas of my physique. I also realized I could not do things in the same way that I had done in the past with the same positive results. Then this year I was blindsided with two moderate injuries because of how I was training. Reckless abandonment was taking its toll. This really got me to seriously think about my fitness goals. I began looking 5 years into the future and wondering what do I really want to accomplish. How did I want to look?.... how did I want to feel? I came to the conclusion that I want to live life well for as long as the good Lord allows me to. My conclusion has made me readjust how I think and how I live my life to do everything I can to accomplish that goal.

Darwin once said that it is not the strongest or the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change. I guess the Corps idea of adapt and overcome holds true... at least for ol' Charles. ;)

The areas that I see effecting my future fitness lifestyle are mental, nutritional, physical, and environmental. I am taking all these things in consideration moving forward to accomplish my goal of fitness longevity and living really well.

So I ask you the question....

Are you training with the same goals in mind that you did when you were younger or are you training to live the lifestyle that you wish to live in the future?

Half past five a.m. and 69 degrees.... time to go watch the sun rise on the beach. ;)

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

I guess I am in both boats at this time. I too have noticed that even while on gear, some muscle groups just seem to grow more slowly, legs are good example. When I was younger, my quads would blow up big time just from riding a bike. My VM was like a fist, and after a year of being bicycle messenger (I was 19-21), my pants fit so tight around my quads, I had to get larger pants to fit them into. These days growth is much slower in that department. Thankfully, I haven't had many injuries in my life, just a torn labrum in both shoulders, on dislocated knee, and two other knee injuries that weren't too bad, probably due to my flexibilty. I have had only one broken bone, a rib, from a bike accident, and the second time, same rib, from a mosh pit at a Slayer show (decided that it was a good idea to take on the biggest dude in the pit, can't say I didn't have a good time battling the guy though!)

As of late, I am taking age into consideration as I approach the big 50. Thinking about what my goals ought to be, rather than what I want them to be. I do still pretty young, especially compared to many of my friends who are really starting to take a turn for the worst, getting fat, tired and low energy. Makes me feel I am still in my twenties compared to them. Sure, I have a tonne of gear running through me, but even so, when I wasn't, I still had a skewed picture of myself because I had more energy and drive. However, it is time to take into account the aging process, which admittedly, I have turned a blind eye to, not wanting to look at that reality. I'll be 48 here in a month or so...not that numbers really mean anything, or do they? 

Hope you enjoyed the sunrise, and may you have many, many more :)

SemperFi

We are traveling some of the same roads Blaster... I am just a few steps ahead of you but that doesn't mean I am any farther along. ;)

Kai Greene said something that stuck - Proper preparation prevents poor performance.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

A friend said the same thing only slightly different. Prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance. He said he learned it from the drill sergeant in the Marine Corps. Go figure :)

SemperFi

Good luck is a very good friend to have. ;) Speaking of luck did you see Mariota catch his own pass for a touchdown on Saturday?!

SEMPER FI