unflavored pure isolate

blastthru23

As prices have going up lately for prepared whey protein, and to keep my wallet from emptying so quickly, I've decided to purchase bulk, unflavored whey isolate. Eleven pounds for $119.00 with free shipping sounded good to me. I've been purchasing whey protein at a local l store for $80 for 4lbs, no brainer to make the switch. The only ingredients that i can see that make the store-bought whey different are egg protein, and bromelain. I can get bromelain in caps no problem, the egg protein I'm sure just how much benefit comes from the addition of it. I can even buy some protease as well for indigestion/absorption. Hell, with that amount of savings, why not?

So, here's what im thinking: My current whey protein has .5gr of cane sugar per serving  (I'll double check that later). I'll get some unsweetened cocoa powder to add to the shake, which  I'll probably do trial and error to get the correct amount. Then, I can add the requisite amount of cane sugar to taste. Guess I'll start with the amount on the store bought whey's label , and adjust from that point.

I'm curious whether any of you use unflavored, bulk whey, and if so, do u have a formula that you have found to work well. I don't use fruit in my shakes, by the way, too much work, and too much fructose.

As an aside, I'm also considering fabricating my own pre workout drink. I think this is going to be fun :)

ramdisck

I have looked into this as well, but haven't pulled the trigger.  I was thinking i could down the isolate without any add ons. RIght now I'm getting a decent price on my protein, but I'm very curious as well.  I get the majority of my raws from nuts.com  and they carry it at a great price.

M

Mister A

I've recently entered into the bulk arena myself. Preworkout ingredients like Beta Alanine, Creatine, Citrulline, Agmatine Sulfate, Taurine, Glutamine, etc. And whey isolate.

What I have found is you get what you pay for. Often the savings come by way of an inferiority product. I try to contact the manufacturer now before I buy anything. I ask them as many questions about their product and their production as possible. It becomes pretty easy to figure out who's running a real company and who's full of shit.

Sadly, the supplement industry is about 90% filler.

SemperFi

Ram suggested nuts.com several months ago and I been using them ever since. They have a great selection and competitive pricing for most selections.

SEMPER FI

siegmund

im missing out here , honestly guys i havnt had a shake or bought protein in 1.5 years or more , i do buy if in a hurry a occosional bar. (30g)   i always tryed to keep my proteins natty 

but. i think im missing out here majorly 3 shakes a day i can add i guess what 120 g of protein. ,, think i start throwing these in the mix the last 5 weeks of cycle. and look for the differnce. ...

usually i pass over these posts not being ignorant but i guess being stubborn and stuck in my ways , :((( i trained about 20 years on 3 meals and chi chis and bagels and pb.   but time to up the protein by at.least 120 a day.   thanks for posting.  

blastthru23

Thanx ram, I'll take a look at doze nuts, see what they have. I'm  tired of buying filler. For example, i don't need proprietary ingredients, or some miniscule amount of flax powder in my protein, already get plenty of fats and fiber from food i eat :)

Big Nasty

Have not yet either Blast but plan on it for sure. Protein is getting ridiculously overpriced. Hard to believe that the industry has been able to increase the price so much and people keep buying at the astronomical prices. Going to give nuts.com a go. 

blastthru23

Whey shakes are quick and easy protein.  Love it first thing in the morning and post workout. Whey concentrate bloats the hell out of me, so i stick with isolate only. Take an enzyme with it like protease. Good shit mayne.

siegmund

the reason i stopped i believe was i use to drink 1 and get real.sick like i felt like throwing up ..but that also may have been a weight gainer very high in cals.  

where anymore all i need is the protein. 

SemperFi

Many people will get an upset stomach or bloating from the maltodextrin that is in weight gainers. The supplement industry will do anything to lower production costs and increase profitability. Oh wait..... that's the new way of doing business in most countries.

There are very small supplement companies that take GREAT pride in the quality of their products. Unfortunately high quality comes at a price and most people prefer cheap over quality. These small companies have a tough road ahead for them and have a very high risk of failure within the first five years of business.

When considering supplementing you normal diet with protein take a creative approach and think outside the box if the more expensive high quality proteins are not within your budget.

Just a few examples of out of the box ideas.... purchase 'freeze dried' chicken, beef, and/or milk in bulk..... supplement your lifestyle with activities that allow you to harvest protein while doing something you enjoy doing..... buy production factory direct..... etc.

SEMPER FI

ramdisck

I just pulled the trigger and grabbed 5 pounds of whey.  I am guessing it'll be much better than what I have been using and I'll get much more protein out of it.

siegmund

this only in the weight gainer ?? but.i deffently make sure anythi g i get does not have it...it didnt.only.make.me.feel.like throw up , but i would get dizzy and all it was bad.   bro.

but thinking back to a few years or so , there use to be a bar next to my last gym., and i would.get a protein shake.there.a pre and a post and i was fine ..but that also was high protein. i was not looking for gainer.  actually they were banging for real., now that im thinking of it.  .

siegmund

tomorrow ill be stocking up.  ,.or hitting the juice bar. , thet taste so much better and smooth when i use to buy them.    its winter and for the next 2 months i need watch pocket so looks like ill be mixing. 

thanks bro 

SemperFi

Yes... the main ingredient in most weight gainers is maltodextrin. 90-95%  pure protein powders do not contain maltodextrin. In fact they will have 0g of sugar in many cases.

I have the same reaction to maltodextrin Sieg. Makes me dizzy and I want to go puke. Cheap starch! Tried it early on in my journey and thank God that period of time is behind me.

Supplementing with a 90-95% pure protein powder is worth a serious consideration if we are not getting enough protein in our diet. I try my very best to get my protein from whole food sources but that is very difficult at best so I do find myself needing to use supplemental protein.

Protein intake is especially crucial on a calorie restricted diet. Preserving muscle is the name of the game.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

I hear ya.... I will send some snow your way so you can get to more plowing. ;)

Maybe we can get Burr or IC to get the snow gods of the Rockies to send some your way.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

I buy Optimum Nutrions gold standard. 5lbs for $54 it's 120 calories and 24g of protein. Pretty clean protein imo. What you have to worry about is amino spiking. Many companies got caught spiking their protein with cheap aminos. The Arnold Series by Muscle Pharm was one. It said 40g protein and actually had 19g protein and the rest was cheap aminos. 

siegmund

my partner and i just bought 4 cases of  isopure 

160 cals 0 from fat 

total fat 0

sodium.80%  

potassium 45

total carbs 0 protein 40grams 

siegmund

im not sure what these cost regularly. but we have a distrubution center here that supply all differnt kinds of supps and shit ..but they have a little side area where they sell to the public also ..and he said they got a few skids of these by a mixup or something.  but they are 12 for 24$  , so we grabbed 8 12 pks. comes out to 2$ a bottle ...but were always on the go still so there convient. 

SemperFi

That is a good price for Isopure premixed. Isopure is a relatively expensive brand so getting a discount is great. Being that you are on the go all the time Sieg I can see how the premix would be more convent for you.

SEMPER FI

siegmund

i just googled them , and i seen where there anywhere from. 44 to 49 for 12 bottles.  and single servings almost 4.00.   think im going to go stock up ...

not that we didnt already but.  this half price. and im sure going to go quick.    ..