Using Negative Calorie Foods

SemperFi

There is a less often talked about strategy to weight loss utilizing negative calorie foods (NCF). A negative calorie food is a food item that requires more calories to digest per serving than the calories which that serving contains or is very low calorie per serving.

This makes perfect sense since we know most successful weight loss diets require that you expend more calories than you ingest to loss weight. Most negative calorie foods are high in fiber and come from fruits and vegetables. These high fiber foods help control appetite and due to the fiber content will make you feel more satisfied longer. Much longer than those fad diet shakes. ;)

NCF's are loaded with vitamins, minerals, micro-nutrients and enzymes that boost the metabolism and enzyme reproduction helping the body to trigger its fat burning processes.

By adding moderate portions of high quality proteins to the list of items below you not only will be on your road to weight loss success but you will be healthier, leaner and wise.

Blending the whole food item is an option but DO NOT juice. The fiber content is the main factor of the NCF rating. Eating at least 50% of your daily intake of any combination of the below items raw will have added benefits.

Negative Calorie Food Benefits:

• Guilt free non-fat

• Improve sleep

• Improve nails, hair and skin

• Packed with nutrients

• Lower stress, anxiety, depression

• Improve mental focus and energy

• Improve cholesterol 

• Natural anti-inflamatory

• Improve liver function

• Control appetite

• Improvement in insulin sensitivity or reversal of insulin resistance.

Vegetables:

Asparagus, Bean sprouts, Beets, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory/Radicchio, Cucumbers, Endives, Green beans, Jicama, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Radishes, Spinach, Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, and Zucchini.

Fruits:

Apples, Blueberries, Cantaloupe, Cranberries, Grapefruits, Honeydew, Lemons/Limes, Mangoes, Oranges, Papaya, Peaches, Pineapple, Raspberries, Strawberries, Tangerines, Watermelon.

Spices and Herbs:

Anise, Cayenne, Chili peppers, Cinnamon, Cloves, Coriander/Cilantro, Cumin, Dill, Fennel seeds, Flax seeds, Garden cress, Garlic, Ginger, Parsley, Onion, Mustard seeds, Watercress.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

That's some excellent information. I see all the veggies I eat on the list. Cabbage, brocolli and asparagus are my staples. Thanks, man!

SemperFi

I ran a short experiment of running a low fat, high protein and negative calorie food diet for three weeks from 12/4-12/28.

At least 50% of my negative calorie foods were eaten raw and protein at 225g/day. I am at 1000+/- calorie deficit for this experiment and took 10g of BCAA's per day to reduce the risk of lean muscle mass loss. I did not break done my fat intake but no additional fats were added to my diet except for what is naturally contained in the foods that I consumed except my daily supplement of fish oil. Carbs were from the negative calorie list of foods and no additional carbs were eaten.

I just got back from the gym and the Seca scan showed that I dropped 1.63% of body fat and had a fat free mass loss of 0%... it actually went up by 1.64%! My personal fat free mass index (FFMI) score went up by 00.51 points.  Total body water was at 53.66% on the 4th and 54% on the 28th. Extracellualar water was 22.13 liters (4th) and 22.09 liters (28th). Based on the similarities in hydration for the two scans these results can be considered very accurate.

I will put in two more weeks of this and report back on the 15th.

SEMPER FI

calmb4dastorm

SF. Especially since I have to do my own nutrition plan these days. I've been number crunching to see what my last paid for meal plans had me consuming. It's awesome to have the above to add some choices to my plan. 

The calculations are throwing me for a loop. So I downloaded an app to help me along the way... thanks for everything, Batman!

BobbyO190

I wont argue results but I will admit to some skepticism. So might I ask for some clarification?  Where is the cross over? How much from these foods groups can you consume before you start to gain weight?  Or are we saying that you can eat as much of these food groups as you want and you will not only not gain weight but actually lose weight?  

If so or even if just suspected it would work I may be willing to give it a test. I would have to give some protein to the mix...any advice on that? Chicken, Fish or Whey protein drink?  Want to help me come up with a two week test diet and see what results I get? Do our best human science experiment?

SemperFi

Do a google search on the negative calorie and their effects. Negative calorie foods are low calorie per serving and are generally high in fiber. These foods will boost the metabolism and help satisfy your appetite.

The term negative calorie may cause some confusion and can be misleading as most do have more calories then what is required for digestion but the metabolic increase can and will offset the total calories of most of these foods if eaten in proper serving sizes.

Can you gain weight eating these? Sure

You will begin to gain weight no matter what food you eat when your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is surpassed by your total daily calorie intake. We have to burn more calories than we consume to lose weight. My personal results were based on a 1000 calorie deficit and 225g of protein.

SEMPER FI

BobbyO190

Fascinating. Thanks. I will give it a go when I get back from snow skiing and let you know my results. Very interesting concept. As always thanks for sharing and educating!

janoss1989

I have question about these:
Mangoes, Oranges, Pineapple, Watermelon.

These are kinda sweet, there is sugar in them. If i will eat like 2kg or more of watermelon (i can easely do that, i love fruit) will i be in caloric deficite or my body will drop unused carbs in fat cells for darker days?

HGH.to

body will drop unused carbs in fat cells for darker days?
body will drop unused carbs in fat cells for darker days regardles of what you need. you can go for 2 kg of watermelon, but it depends on what you aim for, on your training schedule, overall diet etc.