Ways to Increase Metabolism

SemperFi

#1 - Short of having a medical condition affecting your thyroid the #1 way to increase your metabolism is to increase Lean Body Mass (LBM).

Around age 30 we begin to see a decrease in muscle mass which in turn decreases our metabolism. Laziness makes us fat, sick and more lazy... the death spiral. ;)

If you are over 40 and have never had your thyroid tested consider asking your medical doctor to test it with a simple blood test. Maintaining proper hormone balances is our key to longevity, productive living and disease prevention.

The medical industry uses the body mass index (BMI) which is very limited and hugely misrepresentative for most individuals. The fat free mass index (FFMI) is a much more accurate representation of the bodies composition.

Fat-Free-Mass-Index-(FFMI)-Calculator-794.html

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

#2 Hydration - Remaining well hydrated keeps the metabolism active. Immediately upon waking drink 16-32 oz. of cold water. Drinking water first thing in the morning not only kick starts the metabolism but it assists in flushing toxins from the body that accumulate during rest periods. Daily water intake should be 1 to 1.5 gallons per day. 

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

#3 Sleep- Improper or lack of sleep is linked to an increase in body fat. Lack of sleep has a negative impact on metabolic processes. It is linked to increase in blood sugar levels, insulin resistance. It can also increase the hunger hormone ghrelin and decreases the fullness hormone leptin.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

This is my issue. Often times I have to sacrifice sleep for training. 

Due to the way my craft works sleep is a major issue. The company hands out pamphlets on sleep issues. Every time you short yourself sleep time you build up a deficit. They claim you can repay that sleep debt by sleeping longer hours when you get the chance. For instance if over the past five days you have slept 1hr less each of those days you have accumulated 5hrs of a sleep deficit. On the sixth day if you sleep an extra 3 hours you have replayed 3 of the 5hrs sleep debt.

Not sure if this is true and if it is if it helps with metabolism? 

I have heard the exact opposite about sleep that you cannot make up sleep by sleeping in but it would be good research to find the truth. 

As for metabolism, lack of sleep increased ghrelin levels which is the peptide hormone that increases hunger.

strong

A few months back I went to my Dr. and got bloodwork done. It revealed Hypothyroidism. I did talk to a few members and called it Hyperthyroidism due to lack of knowledge on the subject. It was Dolf that said maybe that had something to do with my recent weight loss. Slightly confused on what he meant I went to Google.  I did a little research on Hypo vs. Hyper and it was cleared up for me.  My symptoms were always tired, slight depression, fat gain in weird areas like my chest. The Dr. prescribed me Synthroid and I took it every day for 6 weeks and returned for bloodwork to check the results. My BW showed numbers that fell in the norm.  I see the importance of keeping hormone balance. My current cycle is going very well. I have experienced great results. 

I Drink a minimum of 1 gallon of water almost every day. I would say I average just a little more than a gallon. 

My sleep is an issue that I have to get under control. I average 4 hrs a night but never feel tired.  These 3 things discussed are more valuable than just increasing metabolism. My water intake was definitely not where it should have been 6 mnths ago. The key for me was starting off with a full gallon every day. Not counting 8 bottles of water.  No need to think about it just suck it down..

SemperFi

#4 Eat Protein - All foods have the ability to increase metabolic rate temporarily but protein has a higher TEF (thermal effect of food) than fats or carbohydrates. Proteins can increase metabolism by as much as 30% and carbs or fats only increase it by 10% or less. 

It is interesting to note that TEF is at its highest upon waking so eating protein rich foods earlier in the day can maximize this effect.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

#5 Move- The more active you are the faster your metabolism. Even simple movements like standing up regularly or simple household tasks make a big difference. These non-excersise activities are called non-excercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT). 

Here are few ideas for increasing NEAT-

1. Use a standing desk 

2. Take the stairs whenever possible

3. Fidget- bounce your legs or tap your fingers

4. Chew gum

5. Stand up regularly and walk around

Standing regularly can burn an additional 175 calories per day according to one study. In another study fidgeting increased calorie expenditure by 54% versus remaining motionless.

The little things can and will have a big impact on your metabolism in the long run.

SEMPER FI

bigdawgjr

Great information semper fi, i never thought fidgety movements would help, i sit in a chair and operate equipment all day. I fidget so bad you might think im a meth head dreaming about that ultimate fix lol. 

SemperFi

Thanks bigdawg... my new nickname for you is Bird Dog! Ever see how fidgety a good bird dog is in expectation? The nature of steroid use we sometimes forget the simple things that we can control very easily to help ourselves. Being over 40 is NOT a handicap if you do not let it but it does come with some unique considerations. Most people are overweight for one reason.... personal choices. Knowing how those choices will effect us before making them might change the way we do things.

Since I have transitioned out of steroid use I am more about focusing on providing practical information that will help people help themselves. Information that anyone from anywhere can use. In the meantime I will also soak in all the great information that others are providing and share it with those that have yet to transition out of steroid use. I learn something new here every day. 

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

Yep, fidgety movements, also known as NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis), can and will over time chip away at caloric intake. So, playing with yourself isn't a waste of time after all lol!

S

supps

A lot of the time, thyroid is the problem. you should definitely have it checked out! As mentioned below hypothyroidism is a major reason for that lethargic feeling. If your body is not producing enough thyroid hormone , they will usually prescribe Levothyroxine. Which is basically T3 or T4 ...   If you are suffering from Hypothyroidism.. and your doc can give you a prescription of Levothyroxine. I would use that before id use T3 or T4  those are both very Catabolic and if you are trying to bulk it is not really recommended unless you are trying to lean out. I would get your thyroid checked.

blastthru23

My novitiate understanding is that catabolism due to T3 supplementation can be thwarted by adequate protein and sufficient carbohydrate consumption. Further, what appears to be muscle loss especially during the first 2-3 weeks is mostly water loss. It may be the case that T3 supplementation mitigates anabolism given the metabolic increase. In general, ones TDEE increases arithmetically by the simple formula T3 mcg X 10 = increase in TDEE. For example, if one is supplementing with 25mcg then the users TDEE increased by 250. So, if one calculates their TDEE pre-supplementation at 3000, it becomes 3250 while taking 25mcg.

SemperFi

Thanks for sharing. Yes, we agree with that and that is why I said short of having a thyroid condition in the original post. Anyone over 40 in my opinion should have their thyroid checked. Even just for the information it will provide them.

T3 or 4 at typical doses to treat hypo can only be catabolic in the abcense of proper nutrient intake.  In fact, with the proper nutrient intake Levo and/or T3 will increase protein synthesis. Which is very beneficial for those who have metabolic issues. Increasing protein synthesis is a big step forward in LBM growth. Increasing LBM further increases the metabolic process. Cause and effect. ;)

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

I share the same understanding Blaster and have thwarted (great word) it's catabolic effects personally several times. I don't know how accurate your numbers are but I really like your analysis using TDEE... paints and excellent picture.

One thing I would like to point out, unrelated to your post, is not everyone here is here to be a body builder. Some might be here for general overall health... neither bulking or cutting.... simply trying to get into the best shape of their lives after 40. A lot of advice that is provided is from the BB perspective and sometimes not applicable to many members.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

#6 Iodine- Iodine is the critical element for the thyroid to make the essential hormones T4 and T3. Unfortunately the body does not make iodine. Table salt is fortified with iodine for this specific reason but it will not provide you enough iodine to thwart (Blasters great word) hypothyroidism. What they (whoever they are) fail to understand is that only about 10% of the iodine in fortified table salt is bioavailable because of the very poor quality of the source and commercial companies do not use fortified salt in their production processes. The majority of our salt intake is not from table salt but in the products that people buy and eat.

Iodine is one of the most important nutrients to keep your thyroid working not only properly but well. I personally supplement with 6.25mg of i-Throid daily and it helps my thyroid remain in the more active functioning range.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

I agree that the 1:1 ratio of mcg to increased TDEE may not be accurate, but, it may be a good general rule. To be honest, read it on bb site elsewhere that gave a pretty good overview of the supplement.

Man, I thought everyone was trying to be the Hulk lol!

Good caveat SF, thanks for picking up the slack as usual ;)

blastthru23

Well, I am glad it paints a pleasant landscape :)

I see mountains, snowy, lit by aurora borealis, hues of green, pink, voilet. The icy waters cold and inky black. A lone wolf howls eerily giving me solice...