Why are you looking at the ceiling???

jewsir

Sup All? Hope your living life and making gains (or cuts since it's beach time again). I have recently fired my Dr. and starting lifting heavier weights and the deep soreness is like is like an old friend I haven't seen in a while. With that being said I was doing squats the other day and some one asked me why I was looking at the ceiling. I just assumed that everyone with good form was looking at the ceiling to help keep their back straight, but now I must assume I am an oddity. Does any one else look at the ceiling when they squat or have some other oddity while lifting?

SemperFi

You might be looking at the ceiling because that is where I put my pin ups at in my gym. ;)

Seriously... proper technique is to ensure your head is inline with your torso. You don't want to look at the floor, ceiling or either side. Avoiding a cervical injury is a serious matter when squatting. Eyes to the sky is not a safe technique and neither is nose to the toes. Many do it but they are increasing their risk of injury.

SEMPER FI

siegmund

x2+2 ,

looking at the ceiling (imo) try it. you are compacting your dics ,, how. is the safe and looking at toes. , is tge same ,, focus dead center.  look forward.  , a berve can get pinched easuly.  

csancheezy

my head in a neutral position to not un-align my back in any way. My eye balls may look upwards during a squat but head stays neutral

Titanings

LOTS of really good info in these 2 videos, I REALLY like the second one as it breaks down every bit of a squat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JazgzExT0Ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2b8UdqmlFs

With Squats, Deadlifts, Bent over rows keeping a neutral spine is very important especially the heavier the weight :)

SemperFi

Especially when you get older and certainly have some degree of stenosis in your neck or back. Stenosis is a fact of life for a large percentage of the population. Any slight trauma could cause it to become symptomatic. Ask Strong, Dolf, myself or several others the risks involved. When stenosis becomes symptomatic you are in for a rough ride.... pain injections (if they work), weakness, cramps, numbness in the legs, hands and feet, lightning pain, and eventually surgery will become a neccessity. 

Work hard but make sure you are working smart because everything we do has consequences and at some point in time the debt has to be paid.

SEMPER FI