Why we should be doing whole body training.

bigjerseyd

Do the injuries normally occur when you have been training on a smith machine for a period of time, and then switch to a bb's or db's? or is it just from repetitively using the smith machine?  

Dolf

Think about it though...when you were 20, full of piss, vinegar, testosterone, and ten ft tall and bulletproof some old dudes in their 40's or 50's couldn't tell you shit. Because you knew it all. Lol 

Dolf

You can hurt yourself with just bodyweight. I had a partial muscle tear doing pullups, but heavy ass weight makes for much greater chances. 

blastthru23

I am aware, and have, and make adjustments when needed. Its been working well for a number of years at this point, but most chest work is done with the dumb bells limited at 100. The good thing, I have to admit, is I have to get creative with it, such as pausing at the bottom for a kick ass stretch, adjusting the path of motion, drop sets are fun as well. I do a version of running the rack with db flat and incline presses When I'm feeling like Thor (my version of super man I suppose;))

SemperFi

A smith machine for presses locks your shoulder in a single plain (up and down) preventing slight needed adjustments (unconsciously) by the shoulder joint to prevent joint injury. Most training professionals will tell you to never use a smith machine for bench presses.

DB’s and to a degree a BB provides the shoulder the freedom of movement within multiple plains. Cables as well provide this frredom.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

Also, the smith machine doesnt allow for stabilizers to develop and strengthen well. Truly, what it's good for is isolations with a light load. I know a few trainers who work with competitors who use it quite a bit, but you'll never see 2 plates on it. Usually 25's maybe a little more, even when working quads. The eccentric and concentric are at a 6-10 count, sometimes doing partials to increase TUT. Burns like hell with just 95lbs on the bar.

Dolf

The only use for a smith machine I have is behind the back shrugs. I'm personally not a big fan.

SemperFi

The only use I have for it is watching that college girl do her squats.... marvelous piece of equipment!

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

LMAO +3

Someone has to show ou pups how it's done.... in style! Hoping to find a UGL to offer me my AARP discount.

SEMPER FI

I feel all of you on the shoulder pain, my right one is screwed....I go light on DB presses, never over 60lbs, even if I feel EXTRA jacked...LOL....but a few years back I stumbled on a piece of equipment that has worked wonders for my shoulders and core. Its called The burn machine..I DO NOT work for them, just a guy passing along a bit of info that might help a few of you out....

strong

Its literally Heaven.. Being in the gym, lets say 45 minutes into the workout and your through the initial burn of the muscles, now it just amazing pumps and endorphins happening. Your focus and mind body connection is just right. You are now in a primitive state of Manhood. a fuckin animal and then you look over at one of those young women doing squats... Priceless....

SemperFi

CT,

I train several days a week at an martial arts gym and I have seen several people use the Burn Machine Speed Bag. I have never used it myself but it is an interesting piece of equipment. I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing! +3

SEMPER FI