Easy Elk Recipe

SemperFi

Wild game.. eat like a wolf!

Smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder. dizzy pig salt-free dust and a little salt

INGREDIENT

3 or 4 – 4″ inch cut elk or venison (backstrap is best)

2 tablespoons smoked paprika

2 tablespoons ground cumin

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon kosher salt

4 tablespoons avocado oil 

1 tablespoon salt-free dizzy dust

DIRECTIONS

Mix all dry ingredients together and rub on all sides of elk. Let marinade for an hour or two.

Be sure that your game is room temperature before cooking.

Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat.

Add meat to the HOT skillet and brown on all sides until you get a rich dark coloring.

Remove from skillet and let rest uncovered for 10 minutes.

Nice served with quinoa salad and sweet potato.

CAUTION- Do not use cast iron on glass or ceramic top stoves!!!

SEMPER FI

M

Mister A

raid Semper's freezer. The one he keeps in the garage. I wish I had time to hunt because Id stop buying this crap meat from the grocery store and get my protein from 100% natural sources. We do a black bear hunt up here once a year. They let you snag one. You got any recipes for bear? I hear thats one tough meat.

SemperFi

I do!!!!

I mix it with other game or smoke it because it definitely is a flavor unto itself. I will get one up soon. Goes well with Bison or lean beef.

SF

M

Mister A

is one of a few meats I havent had the chance to try. I heard it makes a good stew. Gotta cook it for awhile before it gets chewable. I figure everything fits in my grinder tho.

Big Nasty

Youtube Steve Rinella, Meat Eater TV show. He is the real deal and shows a lot of "rough ways" to cook bear meat but swears by the taste. Ive only had it a few times. I wasn't overly impressed but it was decent. Nothing like deer or elk. Also I think it was Meat Eater show that said bears that primarily get food from berries, roots, forbes etc are much better than bear who have a primary diet of fish. Not sure but I presume there is a shit ton of meat on a bear which is a lot of solid protein. 

JdDaniel01

Bear is one of those meats where you have to be vigilant on getting it cooked fully. Bears eat lots of dying, dead and rotten animals obviously and are one of the most common scources of trichinosis is humans. (From larvae that the bear picks up from the rotten food). It's kinda like salmonella I suppose, one of those things youre warned about having to watch for, yet not many people know anyone who's actually gotten it.