Eric

SemperFi

True Story.....

“It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up…” -Babe Ruth

At my local Dojo I have a young man who trains with me named Eric. Eric started training with us about 6 months ago and in his first training session he cried like 20 time in the 30 minute session (he is 11). 

He managed maybe 15 no push-up bends and thrusts, maybe 20 ‘noodle’ bodyweight squats and he did not want to be at the dojo for sure.

But something happened.....

Eric came back and came back and came back.

After 2 months on training Eric asked if he could be part of our regular training sessions which are an hour and a half.

About half way through a regular session Eric broke and he began to cry. I spoke some harsh words to Eric at that time. Some I regret but all of us at the dojo had a responsibility to make sure Eric did not quit..... ever! 

Going slow was ok. Taking rest was ok. Sit and quit was NOT ok.

Eric returned to the entry training sessions and about one month later he presented himself before us and asked again if he could be part of our regular training sessions. He proceeded to amaze me with a 100 consecutive no push-up bend and thrust set, there were no tears and he had an ear to ear grin when he finished.

The following week in the entry training there was a 12 year old boy in the session, he was attempting a 100 no push-up bend and thrust set for the first time and he was scared shitless. Without prompting 11 year old Eric strolled over to the 12 year old boy and said, “We can do this, it’s really H-A-R-D, but we can do it, I did it last week."

They both did it and it was really H-A-R-D and Eric was the first person to high five the 12 year old boy’s outstanding accomplishment.

I asked Eric in front of the entire Dojo what made him reach out? He looked everyone of us straight in the eyes and said, “I knew how H-A-R-D it was going to be, but I knew he could do it, ‘cause I did it."

That is fortitude of character my friends in a 11 year old boy! OOH-RAH.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

Excellent story! That's intestinal fortitude, and having a never quit attitude! The taste of success is much sweeter if you've tasted the bitterness of defeat.