Filtering gear

Loomer1

I have some gear with a tiny bit of really small particles in it. I'm thinking about filtering it. What should I use and where to get the filter I need?

D

dolfanshan

Whatman filters will do the trick. Its a process though. Maybe one of these guys that's done it can chime in. You'll need extra oil, a sterile vial, and a certain size micron filter. Not sure but ordinary filtered/pharmaceutical needles might work. Could the particles be pieces of a cheap stopper? Have you poked a pin into these vials yet?

Loomer1

I kinda got the process of using a whatman, watched you tube lol. I tried to go and get the 5 micron filtered pins from my usuall spot and they didn't have them also while the lady was checking on ordering some she just so happened to see that I need a prescription to buy regular pins now even though I have a script for cyp, sounds weird to me. And no I don't think its pieces of stopper most of them are white and kinda transparent first I thought starting to crash so I heated and nothing dissolved also there is 2 tiny red floaters in it so def not the stopper. And yes I did put a pin in it I pinned 1cc the day recieved and after that I noticed the particles. Kinda scary but I'm fine no pip or bad signs 2 days after.

D

dolfanshan

Yea that is scary...I'm quite sure standingup can give you detailed info on how to do it properly.

Standingup

Whatman filters are a PIA and you'd need to either filter each pin load in to a clean pin to use, or have a sterile vile. Anyway usually most filteration comes .22 millipore or .45 and either will work although .22 is ideal.   Also warming the oil before filtering will help greatly. 

I hate to sound cavalier about particles in oil because there shouldnt be any, but theres a high likely hood its gauze or lint and still sterilized by hopefully the brewer oven baking his bottles before filling them, but also the BA thats in the brew. 

D

dolfanshan

Lol...don't sweat it. I had to think about it for a bit myself

Loomer1

Appreciate you trying to make me feel better about it. I don't care what they say your a good dude jk...lol

R

RP4U

Sounds like your SRC may have overextended the use of HIS filter and wore the filter down to where it degraded a bit and filtered into the oil. TBH you may even be able to refilter it through a simple coffee filter and it would be fine as long as the gear was heated properly (which it sounds like it was cuz its not crashed) and the alcohol will kill everything else

Gsbardin1

^ good idea about the coffee filter. Reading this post, that was what I was thinking and you typed it up. Mind reader. 

DaddyLarge

There are many types of Whatman filters. I prefer nylon though.:)" src="https://thinksteroids.com/community/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png" alt=":)" />

Types e.g. nylon, PVDF, PTFE, mix esters....I read many good things about nylon.

P

Prolablabs

Red floaters and transparent particles are not what a supplier should hand out to customers.

If they are careless with this we would not reccomend you inject it.

It could be the fact that the lab does not have an autoclave or does not even sterilise vials before filling them up.