GH and Insulin Resistance

stevenshaw

Having trouble wrapping my head around the issues resulting (and how to manage) HGH and insulin resistance. I began 2 months ago running 3.5iu a day of HGH from a trusted brand American source. I was planning on doing 5 months to help with body fat and strength while increasing cardio and tightening diet (I am not on anything else...no slin, no test, nothing else). I recently started checking my blood glucose levels... and they are running high. Fasting is at 110 to 115. After I eat it gets up to 140.

Now I never checked my blood levels before I started (stupid...not looking ahead to realize a baseline around this issue would be good, although I thought this was a rare issue)...but am now concerned I am one of the people who have this sort of body who responds with Insulin Resistance while using HGH. Did some research about insulin resistance but wondering the effects of continuing forward and/or if I should:

a) how bad is this issue and should I stop?

b) does insulin resistance stop once you terminate using hgh? Or is this a move towards a permanent issue?

c) can I do anything to mitigate the insulin resistance while continuing with HGH for another 3 months?

Last edited by a moderator:

BobbyO190

Man we need a GH user to weigh in here and you need to keep researching...and complements for asking.
Here is what i can provide....that's not too bad of blood sugar levels. i think you are worried over nothing ESPECIALLY with not knowing what your normal levels are when you are not on GH.
Does your doctor have any older blood work that you can compare to in order to discern if these are just your standard levels?

Lastly: Whenever you are scared or worried; seek info but also be ready to just stop whatever you are doing. If you don't feel you have enough knowledge to comfortably proceed, stop using. Get more knowledge and then with that knowledge in place decide if you want to start up again.

This wasn't much but hopefully it helped some.

PS: I run much higher blood sugar than you are listing and have since my teen years, it's just how some of our bodies work. Good luck Steve

blastthru23

I can't give advice on this matter except that you could start thoroughly researching topics in your three questions. It's what I began doing, but quickly realized that whatever it is that I find, you could find just as easily and compare what you find to what you are experiencing. Look into metformin while you're at it ;)

Zewi

So missed this. I got you let me write this up give me a day been so busy but I will respond to this.

Zewi

First let’s see what science says: Understanding GH in 2/3 sentences and then we will break it down. Only towards this question im not writing a whole big post unless someone wants that. (All links and sources posted below) I put a lot of science and links to help and you can read, i tried to break it down in smaller terms, however, if you have question i will do my best to make it easier to understand.

GH induces cellular insulin, and the affects on glucose metabolism (SUGAR), since GH increases glucose production through gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis (spelled right so you can look up) from the liver and kidney. (Liver so if you eat something high in sugar naturally your insulin will spike without GH).
The insulin-dependent cellular response, which includes trafficking of GLUT4 to the plasma membrane, requires the activation of phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K), a key mediator of metabolic signaling downstream of the insulin receptor. PI3K signaling is negatively regulated by the p85 regulatory subunit. GH was found to induce up-regulation of p85 in white adipose tissues in mice with excess GH production, and in adipocytes treated with GH in an in vitro study. These results imply a mechanism involving GH-induced insulin resistance through up-regulation of the p85 regulatory subunit of PI3K.

The cross-talk between insulin and GH downstream of receptor activation in the skeletal muscle and adipose tissue provides another alternative potent mechanism mediating GH-induced insulin resistance, which is supported by experiments both in vitro and in animal models.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5642081/#b8-apem-2017-22-3-145
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/50/8/1891
del Rincon JP, Iida K, Gaylinn BD, McCurdy CE, Leitner JW, Barbour LA, et al. Growth hormone regulation of p85alpha expression and phosphoinositide 3-kinase activity in adipose tissue: mechanism for growth hormone-mediated insulin resistance. Diabetes. 2007;56:1638–46. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
Ram PA, Waxman DJ. SOCS/CIS protein inhibition of growth hormone-stimulated STAT5 signaling by multiple mechanisms. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:35553–61. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some science above, now lets make it easier to understand. GH affects insulin how it can be produced, how it talks upstream and down stream and can affect Insulin resistance. Because Phosphoinositide (PI) 3-kinase is required for most insulin and insulin-like growth factor (IGF) 1–dependent cellular responses. The p85 regulatory subunit of PI 3-kinase is required to mediate the insulin-dependent recruitment of PI 3-kinase to the plasma membrane. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2171479/) In short, when taking GH you over flow, and the talk between up and down stream and how insulin moves gets fuzzy in the body it doesn't no what to do except become very insulin sensitive. So when you start to see this in your body (glad you test your insulin on GH everyone should) you need to adjust somethings, don't take GH everyday adjust your diet, aka Fast really you need to shock your body. Again everyone is different and 3.5iu might be to much for you and you need more like 2iu. Here is another link for you to help its a study on Induced insulin resistance is rapidly reversible, if you need help understanding or you want me to break it down let me no. Again you will find that diet, when you take GH and how much can all affect insulin Resistance.
(https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/96/8/2548/2834611)

blastthru23

NIce, but I will need some time to wrap my head around the relationship between gh and insulin. I may have to sketch it out on paper or look at a graphic explaining the pathways, which I have done, but but only cursorily (and a lot of cursing lol), its a complex topic!). I have been trying to "get it" but I ma still struggling. I am pinning 2iu per day, and I have some metformin (I have heard that some gh users take metformin rather than using insulin), but I am not using it until I know whether its necessary, and how to use it effectively.