LAB TESTS

Proverbs

In the midst of first cycle and have read a number of posts about getting blood work done. Have seen some ads on the web from people like Ben Greenfield(???).

What lab tests would you recommend running for a complete fitness profile and do you have any sources for getting these done?

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Scandal

Prov you must be able to read my mind, I was about to post a similar question!

Anyone welcome to comment!!

SemperFi

I do a full male hormone wellness panel 2x per year and a total test/free test/estradiol (e2) sensitive at least 4 times a year or as needed on cycle.

I personally use discountedlabs.com which is a division of LabCorp and they have locations nationwide.

SEMPER FI

swolesam

Good advice SemperFi.

I basically stick with these lab tests 2-4 times a year, depending on the gear i use,...etc. lab tests i prefer are listed below. if i'm on Clomid and low T for TRT , i include FSH & LH tests in the list below.

Lipid Profile: Cholesterol, total; high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol; low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol 

Complete Blood Count (CBC) with Differential

Estradiol, Sensitive 

Insulin-Like Growth Factor I (IGF-I) 

Comprehensive Metabolic Profile (CMP) - this includes liver enzymes which is critical if you're using orals.

Testosterone, Free

Total Testosterone 

Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) - I get this regularly, since its an early sign of prostate enlargment or cancer.

Thyroid Profile w/ TSH: Free Thyroxine Index (FTI);Thyroxine (T4); Thyroid Hormone Binding Ratio (T3 Uptake); Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH)

SHBG

Cortisol

Kielbasa_Posse

I always get my Liver test Done !

•  (ALT) – an enzyme mainly found in the liver; the best test for detecting Hep
  • (ALP)– an enzyme related to the bile ducts but also produced by the bones, intestinesoften increased when bile ducts are blocked.
  • (AST) – an enzyme found in the liver and a few other organs, particularly the heart and other muscles in the body
  • Bilir  – two different tests of bilirubin often used together (especially if a person has jaundice): total bilirubin measures all the bilirubin in the blood; direct bilirubin measures a form that is conjugated (combined with another compound) in the liver.
  • Alburmen  – measures the main protein made by the liver; the level can be affected by liver and kidney function and by decreased production or increased loss.
  • (TP) – measures albumin and all other proteins in blood, including antibodies made to help fight off infections

Depending on the healthcare provider and the laboratory, other tests that may be included in a liver panel are (GGT)– another enzyme found mainly in liver cells

• (LD) – an enzyme released with cell damage; found in cells throughout the body  (PT) – the liver produces proteins involved in the clotting (coagulation) of blood; the PT measures clotting function and, if abnormal, may indicate liver damage. (AFP) – associated with regeneration or proliferation of liver cell
  • Autoimmune antibodies ( ANA,SMA )– associated with Hep. 

K

kalpa

Lab corp is a good one I used before. Get the labs stated above.

swolesam

Thats what we are all here for brother.

Let us know if you need help interpreting your lab results or if you have questions regarding some numbers, im sure we can help shed some light on things.

Cheers !

Proverbs

Thanks for the response. Dr. said my testosterone was sky high at 1500 and my free testosterone as well at >.50.

I expected it to be high, but don't really know what range I should shoot for. Also said I had an iron and vitamin D deficiency ... easily enough fixed. Any idea what number I am shooting for. Plan on reducing the dose to .25CC Deca and .25CC Test E twice a week. 

The hoot is I am 60. Genetically in good shape. Been a boxer, runner, TKD all my life. Joints don't work as well for fast ruinning. Been on this "cycle" trying things out for about 16 weeks. Good muscle development. Need to lean up a bit. Love the effect on sex drive. 

What numbers should I be shooting for? Any thoughts or advice?

Proverbs

Thanks for the response. Dr. said my testosterone was sky high at 1500 and my free testosterone as well at >.50.

I expected it to be high, but don't really know what range I should shoot for. Also said I had an iron and vitamin D deficiency ... easily enough fixed. Any idea what number I am shooting for. Plan on reducing the dose to .25CC Deca and .25CC Test E twice a week. 

The hoot is I am 60. Genetically in good shape. Been a boxer, runner, TKD all my life. Joints don't work as well for fast ruinning. Been on this "cycle" trying things out for about 16 weeks. Good muscle development. Need to lean up a bit. Love the effect on sex drive. 

What numbers should I be shooting for? Any thoughts or advice?

SemperFi

Every individual is different. Your goal is to find the place that feels best and is healthy for you and dependent on what you want to accomplish in the cycle. Choosing your dosage and goals may dictate that you get your test levels as high as your supplementation will allow. Some might say that more is better but that is not necessarily true. 

After cycle is a bit of a different story for men in our age category and may require a simple replacement dose of testosterone to help us maintain that vibrant and healthy feeling.

When I am on a strict TRT dose I like my number to be in the 1000-1100 range. Another person may find 800-900 perfectly acceptable while another may prefer to be in the 600 range.

SEMPER FI

Proverbs

So really, you want to experiment in a conservative way and see how your body responds. Take it down as low as you can go and still get the results. Dosing twice a week sound like a good timeline to keep it level?

Thanks so much for the help.

SemperFi

Proverbs,

I would always recommend the conservative approach but that is my nature. Your health is the number 1 priority.

As long as the compound carries the C or E ester than 2x per week is sufficient to keep blood levels stable. Example- Wednesday PM, Sunday AM (3.5 days). I have never ran Deca so I will need to defer to other members on that.

FYI- I applaud you for committing to your progress and improvements at our age! ;)

SEMPER FI

swolesam

i salute you at 60 with these numbers & keeping up the workout routine! Thats fucking awesome brother.

T @ 1500 ng/dl is not sky high, usually the upper end of "normal T" is ~ 1100 or so depending on the lab, so you're slightly above it. Your free T def needs to stay high so you can have unbound T to use for muscle building,..etc. 

Deca and NPP are my fav compounds ever for many reasons, strength gains and major joint relief. They are Progesterones though so be careful with the prolactin levels, make sure to include prolactin in your blood tests if you plan on using deca/npp on an extended period of time, and have Caber (Dostinex) on hand.

I have been supplementing with Vit D3 @ 10000ius daily for years now. fyi, im on trt so i believe this dosage of Vit D3 is needed.

Proverbs

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. No idea how difficult it is to get information at my age. Real Doctors have no clue and the potbelly guy with the stethoscope just wants to smirk and look at me like I am divorced and looking for young girls. (Married to the same gal for 26 years and have no other interest). Like no! Don't mind getting old at all especially when I feel and look like I do. I did not want to be a "fatboy" when I was 20 ... so why would it be ok now? Anyway have no idea what TRT and NPP are, so if you could help me get up to speed on the shorthand, I would appreciate it. Also is there a way to upload the labs so you guys could translate. PS ... don't worry about getting old. My first time with what are heavy weights to me (been a runner and martial arts) and I am pushing 400 with the legs. Worry about getting lazy and using age as an excuse ;-)

SemperFi

Proverbs,

139:23-24

FYI- Your level may have been higher because many lab tests for Test max out at 1500 so you would get a reading of >1500. 

On cycle I have had Free T levels easily over 3500ng/mL and it is expected to achieve my goals.

SEMPER FI

swolesam

npp = nandrolone phenyl propionate, as the name suggests its the short ester of Nandrolone, so fast acting.

TRT = Testosterone Replacement Therapy similar to HRT which is Hormone Replacement Therapy which includes more hormone replacements not just Test, like Thyroid, HGH,...etc.