time off

unclem

who else bust there ass training then takes a week off from lifting. i know i went at it hard for 4 months but i need the 7 days off. as iam getting older cant recouperate as fast as when i was in my 40s. just thought i would throw this out there so you can tell if you take time off and for how many days?...........

Gainz.

I take time off from time to time... Some times because I'm sick or just too busy.
Like when I started work again... The first week is always so crazy I simply don't have the time.

But... Sometimes I take time off because I just need the break from the lifestyle.
I lift for fun and because I like looking good (and by good I mean the sexiest mother fucker alive) without my shirt on.
I don't get paid for this... And just like everything else in life... Video games, certain foods, sexual positions... You fall in and out of love with it.
While I absolutely love working out and everything that comes with it... Sometimes... It feels more like a job than an outlet. Like it's something I have to do instead of something I want to do.
When that happens, that's when I stop!
I walk away until I want it again. Granted that doesn't take long... Usually within a week or 2 I'm back into it.
And that usually only happens once or twice a year... But again we aren't getting paid for this... In fact most of us are spending a lot of money on this lifestyle. I know I am... Between my home gym, gear, pre workout and food.

I don't see anything wrong with stopping from time to time.... Just as long as you don't stop permanently!

But I can say every time I took a week off and came back... I came back much stronger and with more drive!

Plus if you are on gear and doing serious strength training, it's a good idea to either take time off or deload. Because your muscles grow and get stronger much faster than your tendons. So to avoid injury it's a good idea to let your tendons catch up!
Mitch Cooper said he does like 5 weeks on and 2-3 weeks off. Meaning 5 weeks of intense strength training, adding more and more weight every week. Then 2-3 weeks of less intense training and accessory work to let his tendons catch up. And he went from a marathon runner to worlds strongest man in like 5 years. So... I think he knows what he's talking about. Not to mention how much smaller he is than everyone else.

zakco

I take time off from time to time... Some times because I'm sick or just too busy.
Like when I started work again... The first week is always so crazy I simply don't have the time.

But... Sometimes I take time off because I just need the break from the lifestyle.
I lift for fun and because I like looking good (and by good I mean the sexiest mother fucker alive) without my shirt on.
I don't get paid for this... And just like everything else in life... Video games, certain foods, sexual positions... You fall in and out of love with it.
While I absolutely love working out and everything that comes with it... Sometimes... It feels more like a job than an outlet. Like it's something I have to do instead of something I want to do.
When that happens, that's when I stop!
I walk away until I want it again. Granted that doesn't take long... Usually within a week or 2 I'm back into it.
And that usually only happens once or twice a year... But again we aren't getting paid for this... In fact most of us are spending a lot of money on this lifestyle. I know I am... Between my home gym, gear, pre workout and food.

I don't see anything wrong with stopping from time to time.... Just as long as you don't stop permanently!

But I can say every time I took a week off and came back... I came back much stronger and with more drive!

Plus if you are on gear and doing serious strength training, it's a good idea to either take time off or deload. Because your muscles grow and get stronger much faster than your tendons. So to avoid injury it's a good idea to let your tendons catch up!
Mitch Cooper said he does like 5 weeks on and 2-3 weeks off. Meaning 5 weeks of intense strength training, adding more and more weight every week. Then 2-3 weeks of less intense training and accessory work to let his tendons catch up. And he went from a marathon runner to worlds strongest man in like 5 years. So... I think he knows what he's talking about. Not to mention how much smaller he is than everyone else.
Gainz hit it! Is it time off cause of injury/not recovering or is it mental? Getting sick from overtraining is something I've dealt with a lot. And my opinion is those who believe overtraining is just under nutrition don't work construction 40+hrs a week and still wake up at 4 to do cardio and weights at night. The body DOES shut down.....anyone who denies that is delusional. Yes the mind is stronger, but reality still applies....and your body will shut down.

With this said. My protocol is:
1.Injured: work other body parts hard and injured parts as therapy.
2. Not recovering: Find a split that is sustainable! If I'm hitting the gym hard. 4 days may just be too much, 3 is better.
3. Lost your mojo to train(which is where I'm at). I have 2 hard workouts a week and 2 cardio sessions. I don't really enjoy them but I force myself because I know I will maintain and eventually the fire will restoke.

At the end of it. Don't be too critical of yourself, and don't let YouTube "no days off" bullshit cloud your judgement. Follow that voice in your head.

Gainz.

Gainz hit it! Is it time off cause of injury/not recovering or is it mental? Getting sick from overtraining is something I've dealt with a lot. And my opinion is those who believe overtraining is just under nutrition don't work construction 40+hrs a week and still wake up at 4 to do cardio and weights at night. The body DOES shut down.....anyone who denies that is delusional. Yes the mind is stronger, but reality still applies....and your body will shut down.

With this said. My protocol is:
1.Injured: work other body parts hard and injured parts as therapy.
2. Not recovering: Find a split that is sustainable! If I'm hitting the gym hard. 4 days may just be too much, 3 is better.
3. Lost your mojo to train(which is where I'm at). I have 2 hard workouts a week and 2 cardio sessions. I don't really enjoy them but I force myself because I know I will maintain and eventually the fire will restoke.

At the end of it. Don't be too critical of yourself, and don't let YouTube "no days off" bullshit cloud your judgement. Follow that voice in your head.

Exactly brother! I couldn't have said it better!

Especially training around injuries. I've seen people take months off because of a small shoulder problem.
Like you could still be working everything else... But some people just look for an excuse not to train.

All in all I probably miss 3 weeks a year. And that's total... Sick, busy, not feeling it. But that means 90% of the year I'm training!
Why... Because I fuckin love it. It's just sometimes I don't always like it

suppsforlife

But some people just look for an excuse not to train.
i've seen too many people finding excuses not to train.
and yet, i've seen others finding "excuses" to train even if they are injured/sick/far from their best health condition and they should actually take a break.
it all depends what's exactly in your mind