Whats you guys thoughts on bicep training

Mleblanc

Im wondering you guys thoughts on bicep sets and rep ranges. I been reading alot on just how small the 2 bicep muscles are.  some say work 4 sets at most, some say more.  

I found i get pretty good growth for lots of volume, with some  moderate to heavy sets thrown in there. But mostly just lots of sets and reps with every angle i could think of and put as much blood as possible in which ever i workout.  

Thats whats so interesting about this sport. There is hardly ever any in the middle of the road type answers. Lol,  Its either super heavy with just a reps and sets or modsrate heavy with lots of reps and really going for the pump.  

Looking forward to some of you guys thoughts 

blastthru23

Some respond to high frequency, others high volume. While others train them hard with failure sets, and partials to failure. Im currently using cell swelling sessions in hopes of stretching fascia. Biceps for me are one of my trouble-growing groups. So, I stay consistent with a method of attack for 6-8 weeks then switch it up. I did high frequency (hitting them 5 -6 day per week for 5-6 weeks, week off then repeat.), got 1/4 or so growth. But it went back after the cycle was over. Strength increased, size not so much. Biceps are tricky as hell for me. Don't forget that if you're training arms for size, triceps also must be trained so as  to not have an imbalance. Again, tricky business.

I went to a competition the other night and saw that quite a few novice competitors had imbalances between triceps and biceps, as well as quads And hamstrings. Shit, even pecs to lats. Hint: don't slack on the muscles you don't see in the mirror ;)

Mleblanc

I hit tri's and bi's hard. But after reading i was like well maybe im doing to much.  But im still hittings bi's as hard a tri's. I just believe. To make anything grow it needs to work. Of course give it time to properly recover and get fed. But on bi and tri day i really hit it hard and have had good success. But what the stuff i read said was you bicep muscles dont need alot of work and most over train. Thats what had me questioning what i was doing.  The only thing i change is the routine (ex, what order i do it).   Right now i been doing 11/2's on everything i can do it on.  And it really stress the muscle. Im to the point where i have to use way lighter weight and my reps almost cut in half. What ever im working legs,chest arms. They are screaming by the last rep of the set.   Awesome thanks for your input brother

calmb4dastorm

For different folks M! With so much varied information on how to train to grow, one can hardly decipher which way is right. I have reconciled that each way is right...for the individual who responds to said methods. Personally, I see more growth with less volume and my rep range is 10-12 during my off season period of growth. I increase reps and decrease volume during cutting. It is what works for ME. The next person may need to increase volume and rep range etc. Find the method that YOUR body responds to. Training should be individualized just like diets. 

strong

+2 to my beautiful sister... I just got done with a PM to a friend stating that some info sent out may be correct for them but not for the next person. This is why I give 'Food for thought' instead of rock solid advice...

calmb4dastorm

Great minds think alike! I consider all info to be Guidelines...for informational purposes. You know, it takes trial, error and time. ;-)

Mleblanc

Said pefectly,  thats why I wanted to see what people had to,  its so crazy in this hobby,sport whatever it may be.  That you hardly see a middle ground. Its one side of the coin or other.  You know lime when someone ask me question and I answer, with what your body responds to best is best. They say well thats so vague. But its truely the truth. You can send them in a general direction, but ultimately you have to just put in time and home work with alot of trail and error.  Thats really what i love the most about this. Is its really up to you. You honestly get what you put it.  You have to dig inside to find out how bad and what you really want.  Thanks Calm for your input. 

Titanings

Unfortunately arms was not my genetic gift. I was blessed with a good chest and decent back. So therefore while on cycle I have started a 3 day on 1 day off rotation that includes arms twice a week. Goes like this Arms, back, chest, off, Arms, legs, shoulders, off, repeat. 

While doing arms I am now focusing on 1 day being the moderate to heavy day with decent volume, and 1 day being lighter weight with lots of reps and lots of volume and I focus on supersets for both days. I am hoping to some day have the guns I have pictured in my mind (as well as the aesthetically pleasing body), and slowly but steadily work towards that goal :)

M

Mister A

Why have you chosen to train back and legs, respectively, after each of your arm days?

Titanings

Because I do deadlifts on back day. So therefore I tried to space back and leg day evenly apart so that legs (and especially my lower back) gets rest before I start hammering down the deadlifts and vice versa :)

BobbyO190

I am not a showman and I am a bit older than most so I may not be the answer your looking for but I always like to share.

My arms measure just over 18" after a workout and honestly about 16.5" normally. So you can tell I am not one of the large beast. But I get a good workout and good compliments so here is what I do...maybe it will be of some help.

Three to Four days a week, depending on if I can get away from work for the fourth day.

Each lift is 3 sets. 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps.  I only go for the maximum weight I can hold and try to increase each month. (Life is best when I have a spotter so I can go higher weight).

Straight Bar Curl: 115lbs

Inner Bar Tricep: 160lbs

Hammer Curls: 40lbs ea

Outer Bar Tricep: 160lbs

Cross chest curls: 35lbs ea

400 crunches

close with 30/35lb seated isolation curl.

I find it hard to break down the inner bicep muscle so closing with that final isolation curl works well for me.

The man who taught me this also added an overhead tricep pull and a straight dumbbell 'corkscrew' curl to the regimen.

I would encourage you to try this one or two days a week. It has given me solid results, especially as I have a torn rotator cuff and can no longer do bench press.

Regardless I hope it helps, even if to give you an idea of what not to do :)  

subzeronation

Thanks for sharing.

When you say 'corkscrew' curl are you describing the Zottman curl. If not could you please provide more info of your friends version of a 'corkscrew ' curl.

BobbyO190

Sorry....it's why my coach called it back in 1979 and it stuck with me.  Hand weight is held one in each hand. Back of hand facing away from the body to the front or the side (depends on elbow flexibility) and then keep upper arm stiff and try to keep wrist stiff as well. Moving just from the elbow turn and lift until weight is as close to touching your shoulder as possible. Wrist will have pivoted in a circular motion on the way up but NOT back and forth. Alternate arms one going up while the other goes down.

Probably has 100 different names and minor technique tweaks but I think its the most common version of non-straight bar curls.

FYI: I am ALWAYS open to variations! I think the body needs some change on routine so please send anything you think might be a nice 'change up' for arms or back or anything else. I truly could use a whole new routine for a month or two anyway.