50 years old and starting back up

Bigguysota

Hey!  I'm 50 years old and I haven't run a cycle in over two years. My body fat is good, bloods good and I am in good shape. I really want to pack on the muscle and I am looking for some good advice.

The past two weeks I have been on 900 of test C. Is there anything I should add to my cycle in order to really pack on some clean size?

My diet is very good. I eat protein, lots of greens and good carbs 

I am 6' 2" talk and weight 220 pounds.

Thanks!

blastthru23

If you want to harden up, masteron is always a good choice. Other than that, 900mg of test should do the trick :)

If, and only if the diet and training are dialed in, of course...

BobbyO190

How long have you been on this cycle?   I ask because you need to question if you even have time to get some product to add mid-cycle earlier enough to make it worth bothering.

That's a pretty strong Test only cycle.  Lots of things you could stack with it but you may want to just ride this T train for a few months, do some PCT and plan for a bigger cycle on the next run. Take this 3-6 months to research here on MG and plan that next bulk load!

good luck and glad to have you being part ! 

Bigguysota

I have been on Test C 300, 3 times per week for 3 weeks, Monday,  Wednesday & Friday. I feel amazing on this cycle. Not much bloat at all and the muscle seems to be packing on pretty good.

This might not be the best forum to ask for workout advice but I have been doing push pull exercises every day Monday through Saturday and taking Sundays off. My volume is mediocre and I am not pushing myself extremely hard. Do you guys have a sample workout that would help me even more? Remember... I am 51 years old.

Thanks!

BobbyO190

This is a great place for workout advice! Its what we do.  My best advice, do some machine cardio (treadmill, bike, whatever) and watch some youtube videos on workouts. I personally love 'athleanX' but there are MANY others and you will get visual as well as verbal guidance.

Next write out your plan and track what you do and hold yourself accountable via goals to pushing the limits regularly for advancement!

For me it's about altering the work out regularly so the muscle doesn't 'learn' and stop growing. I have about 5-6 weekly workout and I swap them randomly.   As a rule I like big weight low reps 3-4 sets BUT this week is light weight and 4 sets of 25+ per set - just to get variation.

Hope this helps but trust me, the youtube stuff is a gift!

Keep up the good work.

blastthru23

18 or 51, volume is king. I like to run an upper/lower-front/back split. So, i like to train quads and back on one day, hams and chest on another, alternating say heavy hams and light detail work on chest. Then when that day comes again, that is hams/chest, i will go heavy on the chest (compounds and accessory work often supersetted), then high rep detail work on hams.  Same principal for quads and back. I'll also dedicate a day to delts, bis and tris ending with barbell shrugs pyramid up to 3RM. This way you can hit muscle groups 2-3 times per week. I dont look at training on a weekly basis, that is, not "Monday is leg day, Tuesday is back day..." etc. It's more cyclic. 

Bigguysota

Ok, I do understand that volume is king. But what type of volume to get big muscles? I use to be very strong (power lifting body). I could deadlift a lot of weight but my muscle were not really defined. Now I'm looking to get the big arm and chest look where they bulge out of my shirt and have the really defined look. What type of volume would be good to get the bodybuilder look but still strong?

Thanks.

My current split is very similar to Blasts. I'm running a push/pull/legs across three days then a day of rest. I alternate between rotations with one for strength and power,  the other is metabolic (pump) work.  In all, my volume/week on any given body part would be in the neighborhood of 30-40 sets with more sets during the metabolic workout. 

I personally don't believe the old school, 5 day Bro splits work well for anything but maintaining muscle or cutting.  There just isn't enough frequency to make consoatant gains on or off cycle. Plus if you miss a workout you have two weeks before working it again. 

blastthru23

Volume. Usually it's attained by doing 5-7 sets, even 8 in some cases. Reps can be in the 6-20+ range. For example, I like to pyramid up and back down again for chest presses (dumb bell or barbell). 4-5 sets for accessory work. Superset, and the like are wonderful to. I use that principal for most muscle groups. Then, as Razor pointed out, frequency of training muscle groups factors into volume over time. You want to train a group to the point such that they are recovered by the next training session that you intend to target the muscle group again, 3-4 days. That's called maximum recoverable volume. Mike Israetel spells the theory out in great detail if ur interested. Google like Israetel MRV. 

So, it high volume and increased training frequency that really could result in hypertrophy for you. It takes consistency over an appreciable amount of time. However, having been into powerlifting,  you have the advantage of neural drive. Change the approach and you might just be surprised with your results :)

If i get a chance I might post up an example of a micro cycle training program (10+ days).

Bigguysota

That's some great advice! I now have a good idea but please keep the comments coming. 

A sample workout plan would be nice but with the information above, I'm pretty sure i can figure it out.

Thanks!

ashop

Bigguysota said:
</p><p>Hey!  I'm 50 years old and I haven't run a cycle in over two years. My body fat is good, bloods good and I am in good shape. I really want to pack on the muscle and I am looking for some good advice.</p><p> </p><p>The past two weeks I have been on 900 of test C. Is there anything I should add to my cycle in order to really pack on some clean size?</p><p>My diet is very good. I eat protein, lots of greens and good carbs </p><p>I am 6' 2" talk and weight 220 pounds.</p><p>Thanks!</p><p>
</p><p> </p><p>I would suggest some HGH. At age 50 you would see some nice results. </p>

Zewi

Bigguysota said:
</p><p>Hey!  I'm 50 years old and I haven't run a cycle in over two years. My body fat is good, bloods good and I am in good shape. I really want to pack on the muscle and I am looking for some good advice.</p><p> </p><p>The past two weeks I have been on 900 of test C. Is there anything I should add to my cycle in order to really pack on some clean size?</p><p>My diet is very good. I eat protein, lots of greens and good carbs </p><p>I am 6' 2" talk and weight 220 pounds.</p><p>Thanks!</p><p>
</p><p> </p><p>Going to take this to a different question why do you want to put more muscle size on at 50? Also were did you come up with 900mg of Test c? IMO thats just a waste of at-least 400mg a week. (more is not always better). IMO you would be better off at 100mg M/W/F 300mg a week blood levels would stay on point, your not 20 anymore there is a lot of things happening in the body that is different, you are not producing the same amount of HGH , about 75% of your HGH is produced when you sleep. And with Age the amount goes way down. To be honest and someone mention HGH. A 300mg Test a week with 3iu of HGH would be your best setup at 50.</p><p>However, HGH is expensive so you need to think of ways to help your body produce more HGH and other things to befit you more than 900mg a week..</p><p>1. Take an Arginine Supplement (nothing else mixed in it) through out the day (anyone can do this) at 220 you will need 15-20gams a day. you need about 45-120mg per lb of body weight. (i usually break it in 3 dosages morning before workout and before bed) Arginine has been shown to help increase HGH levels when sleeping up to 60% and during workouts.. Yes everyone is different but the increase even at 10-30% is huge.</p><p>2. take GABA supplements. Your body tends to act to this one differently and adapted to it. So its one of those supplements you introduce for 2 weeks, of 2 weeks introduce again. But when first introducing GABA (is a non-protein amino acid that functions as neurotransmitters in your brain  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18091016 ) can have an affect on your HGH level.</p><p>3. Take 5mg of Melatonin before bed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8370132)</p><p>Just my 2 cents.</p>

strong

Zewi, Your advice is always on point IMO... My Gains have been incredible on Minimal Juice. Sure, ive tried 100mgs of test and thought it was gonna work wonders. It didn't. In this past year I have had incredible gains on only 500 mgs of test max and 400 primo when I run cycles. Its all about diet, training and consistency...