Argument with Jeremy Buendia

JdDaniel01

So, I just got into a relatively heated argument with Jeremy Buendia over his recent comments. I don’t know if you guys/gals have heard about it, but he gave a radio interview where he was talking shit and stated men’s open bodybuilding would be dead if it wasnt for his physique division, bikini, and classic physique. It was a huge deal and tons of people are pissed as fuck. Saying it doesnt matter how many times you win, if you don’t have a shitload of social media followers and sell a bunch of bullshit supplements to people who don’t know better then you’re just another gym rat. I say that just makes you a little fuckboy and not a bodybuilder. Totally separate industries. Anyway, what are your opinions on the influx of social media and expos being the determining factor of who’s hot and Totally taking over bodybuilding. I think it’s ruining the sport personally, but ofcourse it’s all about the money now that a bunch of twenty year olds take a bunch of gear and post pics on instagram. 

BobbyO190

As with any sport. It depends on what kind of fan you are.

Hardcore Baseball fans still hate the Designated Hitter.  Most light fans....the ones who ultimately fund the sport....don't know what a DH is or why it matters or that it's only in one league or that there are even two leagues and why that would matter. But they love their jersey to show they are 'fans'.  

Heres the deal. I don't dislike those folks. they are money to the owners and advertisers. They are why the NBA has record contracts etc...AND sports learned a long time ago, the hard core fans will bitch, but they won't leave!  

So if what you want is sponsors...then yes the social media is everything. And that will become the dominate section of the sport because it's where the money is, BUT it will never be the sport of body building and when the true muscle monsters step on stage or film then they will still draw the eye and the awe and be the true hero's of the sport.

BUT one can be both. What is the name of that one guy, Carl Van Mungen or something like that....he is VERY successful in all sections. Body building and social media.

Such is my thought.  

JdDaniel01

Plus in the same interview he said that he stepped down because he couldn’t win at 212. So he is the king of the second class competitors. But he sells a lot of shit that he doesn’t use and makes a shitload of money. So whatever. 

blastthru23

Ah, the Instagram dilemma. What to say? It’s great and it sucks all at the same time. It can inspire (I’m talking only of bodybuilding etc.) like malaveli motivation, or create really false expectations of what can be done in a short period of time. Then the hype around this guy or that girl. It’s really social marketing in my opinion. The pretty boy will most likely be the favorite. I mean who’s gonna by some new bullshit supplement, workout shirt, head fucking phones, or whatever with some fugly fuck like yours truly from a sponsoring company. No one. The people want a pretty boy, or sexy lady (shit I fall for the sexy lady crap all too often). So, whose going to win any meaningful title (the O, the Arnold etc.)? The pretty boy that the greater percentage of the population of supplement junkies love. Just like anything voted on, money talks, and sex sells. So, yes, it ruins the sport to a degree, no doubt. That being said, the folks up on that stage still worked hard as fuck to get there Year after year, dealing with the politics that run the whole scene, yet they still go back maybe even hoping to beat the system, the most formidable competitor they have to face. Gotta roll with the times I suppose. I’m just going to keep doing my thang. Fuck em

JdDaniel01

I’ll never knock a man’s hustle, but nobody is too big to fall. One more shoulder injury and you think anybody will give a fuck about Buendia?