Carbohydrates: Wrapping my head around GI, and GL

SemperFi

You are correct Dolf. Keto allows me to eat the foods I like best and mitigates cheating that is associated with other diets.

You most certainly can bulk on a keto diet but caloric intake is difficult as Dolf said.

Sorry Blast for taking this off topic.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

I found this easy to understand article on carb timing. The upshot for me is to ingest slow acting carbs plus protein pre workout, and fast acting post workout. I know, I'm beating a dead horse, however, there is no harm in revisiting the carb issue. Sometimes it takes longer to beat this knowledge into my head than it takes to beat a horse to death. The 40g rule...got it now lol

http://www.simplyshredded.com/insulin-insight-the-all-important-hormone-insulin-can-be-your-best-friend-or-worst-nightmare.html

Dolf

I add slow digesting carbs pre and post workout in the form of oats in my shakes, and also eat a fast digesting carb post workout with my meal.

blastthru23

This morning, I split the carbs between oats and white rice flour, same with post workout shake.  I bought some tapioca flour the other day to sub for the chalky rice flour. I'm hoping it mixes better so the final product isn't so chalky. I'm finding the concept applies to protein as well. It's kind of fun messing around with the macro details :)

In your opinion/experience, how much glucose do think is required for an adequate insulin spike? I certainly hope i don't need to add up to 20g!

Dolf

Not really sure blast. I just eat a handful of gummies as suggested by Dr Jim Stoppani. 

Keep in mind insulin is not the only benefit of glucose. Glycogen replacement in the cells is important too. The faster you can start resupply of the lost glycogen in your cells the better which is why I choose a glucose candy over something like rice flour. 

blastthru23

I found this article regarding the use of cinnamon to combat insulin resistance. I was reading a T-nation article about nutrient timing and it mentioned taking cinnamon so i looked into it a little. Evidently, about 3 tsp a day might be a good idea. The T-nation author said to put it in the morning protein shake. Could be a tasty addition. I also read that cinnamon helps control fasting glucose levels, so maybe a pre bedtime shake with cinnamon may help with the gh pulse by controlling glucose and insulin. Thinking too much maybe... (I've had a shit ton more focus since dropping the cigs). Here's the abstract:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18234131