Coming back from back injuries

JdDaniel01

Im a relatively recently retired vet, after suffering a debilitating back injury. Had a two level lumbar fusion that pretty much took me out for a year or so, even after that i can only describe it as trying to keep my head above water in an attempt to not turn into a pile of mashed potatoes. I'm back in the gym everyday now and able to lift and actually put in the work without being held back by pain. Obviously core work is going to be a big part of it, but i thought it was worth a shot to see if anyone has any personal experience or anything that has worked for them when coming back from killer back injuries. Thanks to any and all!

My back injury is a joke compared to what you have gone through. There are some members here that have had back issue so hopefully they will speak up soon. I'm glad to hear you back on top of things and working out again. Welcome to the family brother and thank you for your service.

Dolf

My back is nothing compared to yours. I have a bulged disc next to a nerve. Core work has done wonders, but I'm unable to deadlift, stiff leg dead, or heavy bb row anymore. You just gotta go light and slowly work your way up in weight using a belt and perfect form. Ifbit doesn't feel right then don't do it!

JdDaniel01

"Funny" story...when I first hurt my back it was a totally manageable problem in relation to what it would eventually turn into. Received an epically and repeatedly incorrect diagnosis from my Navy doc, so after rehabbing for close to a year to what I felt and was advised was a safe point i put my big boy pants back on and loaded the plates up in the squat rack, turned the music up, lifted off and then BOOM...my  two lower lumbar vertebrae tried jumping out of my back and running home to mama. For some reason they wouldn't let me shoot that doc, but a guy can still dream right? Needless to say, I more or less gave up the squats/deadlifts at that point...

Dolf

I fucked mine in the army, and have lived with it for over 20 years. Getting into the gym several years back helped tremendously, but being a cocky alpha male and wanting to show off doing heavy deads and rows set me back a time or two. After a coworker jacked his back and got surgery I rethought my plan and started leaving my ego at the door.

ramdisck

last year I couldn't sit without horrible pain in my back.  was about a month away from an Ironman and I was scared i wouldn't be able to compete. there was no way i could sit in a bit for an hour let alone 4 hours.  I sucked it up and went to the chiropractor for a couple adjustments and got a massage.  I'm not sure if it helped or not but i was much better after a couple days.  he suggested a long course of follow up visits which i did not do and I've not had a problem since.

SemperFi

holy smoke Jd... glad you came out the other end. Makes my strain pale in comparison. You are one tough Squid!

Hoping the best for you in a complete recovery.

STAY STRONG and ALWAYS SEMPER FI