Diet and First Cycle

SharonKY

I guess I will be the first to post here.  I appreciate MG opening up a women's section...thank you!

So I have taken the plunge and ordered my first cycle of var.  I have read several articles to try to get a foundation on changes that I will need to make to my diet while on this cycle.  I want to make it the best that I can.

As you may know, I had weight loss surgery in 2007, so my "stomach" which is now called a pouch is about the size of a golfball. So my ability to eat a large quantity of food is limited as well as what I can eat.  There are certain things that will make me physically ill for hours, one of them lactose and sugar.  At one sitting my absolute limit is 9g of either. 

I know that with var you should raise your caloric intake during your cycle and I just wanted those with experience to weigh in on their thoughts.  There isnt a lot of information about bodybuilding after weight loss surgery that is from a reliable source.  I have consulted with a sports nutritionist here at the local University and she could not develop a plan that was calorie packed.  I can not get above 1k calories a day and I know that I will need at least 2k to gain mass as well as lower BF.

I have also been looking at proteins and vegetables that are on the higher calorie side in hopes of getting some extra calories here and there, but then it raises the fat content of the food as well. Weight gaining shakes tend to have a lot of sugar in them (the ones I have found), more than I can take in one sitting (9g).

Currently, I am 4'11" and 145 pounds with about 21%BF.  I dont expect miracles with my first cycle and I know that no one can actually predict if var will even do anything for me until I start using it.  No miracles expected, but I want to provide the var the absolute best opportunity to do as much as it can by giving my body what it needs to be successful.

Thank You

Dolf

Your goal this cycle is to cut right?

As for bulking you may need to buy low sugar protein powder, powdered carbs, and use peanut butter, oats,  and other high calorie foods to create your own mass building shakes.

I hate to say this, but I'd also recommend staying away from veggies and stick with more calorie dense foods. Also even setting your alarm at night to get up to eat just for adding calories.

I believe you told me before that liquids pass through much faster than solid foods correct? If so is tbat the same with shakes?

Bulking with a pouch stomach is gonna be a huge learning process for us all.

JdDaniel01

Good points Dolf! Also keep in mind that some of these meatheads around here weigh 250+ pounds. Caloric needs are a lot different for a female at 145.Its probably easy to freak out hearing about the massive quantities of food that some around here are taking in. I've seen some of your meal prep pictures and it is such a powerful tool when you really start to "understand" food. You get it. When you have that part of the equation figured out, you can literally make your body do whatever you want. There are no rules except the ones you place on yourself. Like Dolf was saying, when youre making your shakes in the blender, there's no saying you can't throw in some oats or even some pre baked sweet potatoes. Throw some natty peanut butter in there while you're at it. A whole egg. Treat yourself after a workout and throw in a scoop of frozen yogurt  thatll give you a few simple carbs too. Same fluid ounces in your stomach but significantly more calories, and whole food calories at that. Squeeze in a few glasses of whole milk between mealtimes, that's how babies put on weight. Have fun experimenting till you find what works for you and change it if it's not working. 

SharonKY

While I would LOVE to have milk...I cannot take in lactose in any form...it makes me puke since surgery.

I appreciate everything!

calmb4dastorm

Like Dolf said, your cycle is going to be a learning experience for us ALL! It pleases me that you have chosen to allow us ride with you on this journey into uncharted territory!!!! I'm yet to find reliable information on bodybuilding post bariatric surgery; but i will continue to research it. I do believe that the majority of your calories will end up being liquid in form. Look for protein powder that is dense in amounts of protein, carbs, and calories (which may actually end up being one of the mass gainer), they do make ones with low sugar content. I was in a vitamin shop the other day and saw a huge tub of powdered carbs! i will put it to the test. but what you need is out there! it's just going to be modified from the traditional approach that we take. And that is OK! JD made a good point suggesting you add some yogurt or fruit or peanut butter into your shake as it does provide some amount of whole food. We will all put our heads together and figure out how we can get those calories in your body, so FEAR NOT!!!! You are surrounded with love and support!

SharonKY

I have a complete bulking team!  I would not have even CONSIDERED this journey without the amazing support, knowledge, and encouragement that MG has given me!

R

ruxgear

Coconut milk and coconut oil would also be a serious consideration.

I personally use a almond coconut blend and then add a teaspoon of coconut oil.

calmb4dastorm

You have a complete team for each and every part of your journey! Bulk, cut, good times, bad times, hard times. If you need us, we are HERE!

Dolf

I've also been researching without any luck. I see lots of questions without any answers. I caculated her maintenance level at 1950 calories. My thought was a mass gainer shake with almond milk and peanut butter added that comes out to 1500 calories that she could sip on throughout the day between her whole food calories of about 1100. Maybe even some powdered carbs added in also. I always advocate getting your macros from whole food sources, but this is a different situation.

SharonKY

Here is my thought.....and I am totally open for suggestions...slap on the hand...etc.

So my first cycle I am cutting...so calories below my 1950 for the entire cycle (8 weeks, right?).  Then bulk while I am off cycle for another 4-6 weeks to cut on a second cycle (again 8 weeks) and possible adding to the stack.  Am I understanding this correctly. 

Again, dont be afraid to be honest with me.  I want to get the most out of my body that I can...and I am willing to work for it. 

Dolf

That part is up to you, and what you feel you've accomplished and what your short term goals are. Just remember this fatal flaw many women make. Don't use the scale as your judge. Use the mirror and the tape measure. 

calmb4dastorm

Dolf is right about you not using the scale as a judge of results. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. A tape measurer and a caliper are your new friends! Now, as far as your cut, yes, you are going to do so for 8 weeks. Your bulk should last longer IMHO, because you have a pouch and we need to get good calories in you. I'm proposing 10-12 weeks, but the decision is yours. I would like to see you "lean bulk" during that time. It will give you ample time to get your consumption capacity dialed it. Then your next cut should extend 10-12 weeks. We need to set some realistic goals for each phase. 

SharonKY

Gotcha!  I dont own a scale...I just know when I weigh when I go to the doctor.  :)

I will make note of your suggestions and follow that...