Diet versus Exercise

Bbuild

To stay slim and trim, what for you is the most effective approach to staying slim. If you only have to choose between diet or exercise?

quentin

IMO its 65 to 35%, 65 is your diet and 35 is the training.
Try doing more cardio, nulify the fat intake and reduce the carbs.
you can't get in good shape based on exercise or diet only, you have to combine all them.

bbmonster

I could lose 30lbs by cutting my calories way back and not do much exercise because of lack of energy, but if 15-20 of it is muscle that I have eaten away, then it isnt really worth it. I will take a 10lb pure fat loss over 20-30 on a scale. Scales are stupid anyway in my opinion. I would say exercise is more important as it burns more calories and helps to boost metabolism. You can more easily get away with eating something bad every now and then by hitting the gym and burning it off.

hulkforce

I would choose exercise. You can eat really anything (food). Its not what you eat, its how much you eat. (not talking about cupcakes, ice cream ect) Before you all burn me for my answer. this is only for this post. I had to pick one,lol. Diet is very important along with exercise.
Peace

Don_quijote

I guess if it had to be one or other then diet but very far from ideal. Also worth noting that the more muscle your body has the more energy (calories) it will burn just sitting there. So you could argue that the more muscular you become the more calories you can consume without putting on fat. You should also look at your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate). This will calculate what calories your body requires to just stay as is. A formula can then be applied that takes other things in to account such as how much and what type of exercise you do and adjust the calories required accordingly.

For instance my BMR is 1681.3. I then apply the Harris Benedict formula for my activity level and I end up with being able to consume 2521.95 calories per day without gaining/losing weight. Therefore reducing that by 500 would put be in a calorie deficit so will lose weight. Mind you, muscle is always burned before fat (mostly) unless you work out too.

Dunno what the Bros on here say about BMR - would be interesting but I've been using it as a guide for some years and seems reliable.

Link to BMR: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

hayabusa

depends what your goal is, nutrition can be as much as 80% of your goal if you are a bodybuilder, exercise is important no matter what you eat, b ut eating the right kind of food will make a huge impact on your goal and general well being.

buster

well i think dieting will not work that much as exercise as dieting is to curb your daily needs of proteins and minerals that will have adverse effects in the body.
there should be a proper and healthy diet followed by a good exercise routine.

livedaily

Don't eat on the go. Make a rule that you can only eat when sitting down at the dining room or kitchen table.

Write a shopping list and stick to it to avoid making impulse buys.

Eat breakfast, that's a rule. Skipping breakfast will make you more likely to overeat at lunch.

Drink glass of water before each meal. This will prevent you from overeating.

Chew your food thoroughly. when you eat slowly you're less likely to overeat.

Take a break before reaching for a second helping. Wait for at least 5 minutes and ask yourself if you really are still hungry.

M

Marshal

i do not really understand how one might come without another...it is simple like choosing between your right eye or left eye...you cannot choose between diet or exercise...you need both....

built_tough

it all really depends on your goals.  is fat loss the major factor and goal ?  then dieting will be your major priority, but you have to incorporate both dieting and exercise regardless of what that exercise is. even if its walking.