Discipline; imperative for success

blastthru23

Over the last week or so, life has dealt it's cards in such a way that made it difficult to train with the intensity and duration that I strive to attain.  The circumstances of this past period, got my mind to thinking of what it takes to run a successful cycle, and what came to mind as the most fundamental elements of success is discipline, for without it, I would just be sailing without any direction.

We've got our gear in hand, out ancillary on-cycle supports, and have our PCT drugs all in hand, and a box full of 3ml, 25g pins and 22g sharps, ready to go! We've meticulously planned our diets, and have designed a training split that fits with our work schedule, but it's hella tight.  We've taken steps to inform our loved ones that for the next 8-20 weeks we'll be training hard, eating weird food, and getting home late.  Probably no date nights either (but, that crazy libido you'll have will keep your little lady happy, hopefully). You've posted your cycle log, and a some bro's, have helped you make some adjustments and amendments to your cycle, and probably diet, and are cheering you on.  You feel like its go time!

A couple of week or so goes by, and the compounds have taken full effect.  I feel like the goddamn Hulk, Thor, or a Bad Ass Mutha Fucka in general.  Then out of fucking nowhere, shit hits the fan. Work commitments increase, something happens to a close friend or loved one that causes the emotions to go nuts. Your son or daughter is home sick for a few days, and it's making it impossible to keep on that tight training regime that took hella time to figure out.  Life's challenges don't stop just because I'm running gear.  I have to meet them squarely, adjust, and continue on as planned, at least as best as one can.

When life gets tough, its quite easy to say, "fuck it, I'm going to in and out burger and eat whatever the fuck." Or, "fuck it, I'm burnt, so I'm going to go home a watch netflix, I'll make up for lost training time later." ('Later' rarely ever comes. Besides how can I fit calves and hams with back day?? That's complete insanity).  These thoughts have crossed my mind many times, but I haven't given in to those bad ideas, though at times I though they were good ideas.  However, I do recognize that balance is required too.  So, maybe I will cut an exercise out of a routine I had planned for the day, but, I go nonetheless.  I am not perfect, that's for sure.

Back when I was a "monk" in a Hindu ashram in India, a sadhu that I regularly visited to discuss philosophy, and among other things, the difficulties of conquering the mind.  One day, I was tired, maybe even burned out on the rigorous schedule of ashram life (waking at 3:30 am and going non-stop till 10-11 pm. I managed to tool shed, so, often I had to wake up at 1 am for late night work projects).  The sadhu told me that this is the most important time to keep practicing your meditation.  If you give in to the laziness, you merely strengthen laziness.  To conquer laziness, you must do the opposite.  This principal is easy to apply to any activity that requires discipline, especially our pursuits in bodybuilding, strength training, power lifting, etc.

If you get a chance, go check out Calm's pre-contest log.  Check out how she conquered her obstacles. It wasn't easy as she illustrated her frustration very clearly.  But, look where she is at now!  She is one helluva an inspiration, so fucking disciplined in her pursuit of the stage.  I know many of us are not on that path, or at some point perhaps plan to go that route.  But for now, we must practice discipline, for practice makes perfect, and perfect is success.  Don't give in to the trifling weak minded shit that our society holds so dear.  Fuck convenience, convenience doesn't make us strong, it makes us weaklings, and puts us on our way to the Home for the Useless (Ayn Rand's Anthem).

Nevertheless, we'll make mistakes along the way.  Take note of those, and next time do it different.  If you're plum tuckered out, go to the gym anyways, even if its for a half hour doing some arms, and abs, fuck it, you made it.  And, more likely than not, I'll bet you stayed for at least an hour! So you want to eat a big fat drenched hamburger, go home, and make lean meat burger, maybe put a little olive oil or coconut oil on the bread (yes, go ahead, a slice or two of bread won't kill ya) to give it that flavor or texture.  There, you've satisfied your craving (cravings are rather easy to satisfy, really.  Kind of like dudes, not that complicated especially when it comes to bedroom activities).  Kick your feet up, because you just won the battle.  Maybe not the best fight you put up, but you won by decision, rather than KO.

Big Nasty

Good read Blast, everyday is a choice to get the fuck up and dig in. Cant change yesterday but you can damn sure start with the right fucking now! 

Dolf

Good read blast! 

Sometimes life deals us a shitty hand or puts obstacles in our way. That's when you have to put your head down and keep driving!

I can remember back in my army days. Carrying a 120lb pack on my back along with another 30 to 40 pounds of equipment for miles upon miles (up to 25 miles) at a 12min a mile pace. Every joint and muscle in my body hurting. My shoulders killing me and going numb from the weight. My feet bleeding because they're now hamburger meat, and doing this in the extreme heat, cold, or rain. Many times my body told me to quit, but my mind said put your head down and drive on Ranger! The mind is a powerful tool, and if you train it to be strong like we do our muscles anything is possible. I'd rather have a strong mind than strong muscles any day. Strong muscles can be broken, but a strong mind can't.       

blastthru23

And, without a strong mind, may as well forget about developing strong muscles. Muscle is just part of the game anyway, its the part that shows. Its all the other stuff that goes into it, that is almost impossible to see. Not many see the art for the canvass upon which artist found their foundation for expression. 

Sometimes i find myself envious of you veterans. I think, or even know, i would've benefited to greatly had i joined the military.  Guess I'm too old at this point. 

calmb4dastorm

This is a great read! Success is the sum of all efforts repeated day in and out. Sure, life grabs us by the balls or in my case , lack thereof  and sometimes puts us in a whirlwind.  It isnt the challenges themselves that determine anything...its how we react and respond to those challenges that makes or break us. We may fall down, but we get right on up and continue to drive on. I only know how to adapt and overcome. There are no other options. Anything worth having at all is worth working for and waiting for.  

Its funny that you posted about mind conditioning as i posted the exact same topic to  response by some random FT on social media today. I have learned so much here at MG and i continue to learn more about myself and keeping myself conditioned physically and mentally.  

The body simply will not do anything the mind doesn't tell it to..

Dolf

There were good times along with bad and miserable times. We used to always say "embrace the suck" when times were miserable and sucked! 

Dolf

Pushing each other to be better is a great asset that MG's offers! The way you conduct your business calm has inspired many here! Myself included ; )

siegmund

true 

this is my life to a t ,  i hate the line of work im in.  NO I DONT. im wrong.  i hate the fact that i threw around 25 years away in a cage ...so now everyday ,every hour is catch up...

i dont have the house and land and money saved , and the 15 rentals ( i plan on buying )  yet.  why ...because this year i will have my home.  just bought a lot.  500$  yes 500 and uts big enough for a 2 bay commercial  garage and over it my home.  theres me and my wife and mason.  ... we only live in 3 rooms now wtf.  its more than i need ...but its mine 

now i was hit 2 days ago to prepare a bid by dec.6th.  but its a dicks sporting good im bidding the cubs , the sidewalks , the loading docs and asphalt ...right now the bids at 875,000.    with a profit margin of 500k.  

i hired a estamater i know.  , the project is 4 months , so 3 of these a year your looking 1.5.   im not materialists im simple.  and i can build my place for around 35 , i can suck up.  15 propertys for around 150 200 k.   .... and live off that.  run a small crew to boot ...

my point is no matter how much a person may try to , discipline.  i have not splept in 3 days , i have had a killer migrain for 4 to the point of puking and seeing shit.  ...so hard to find a hour.  

now.my sisuiation is differnt , or is it , i have a oppertunity i wasted 25 years and i need to prioritize,  and now. if i do what i been doing.  ill have nothing but time.  ...dont know why i told this story maybe 3 days 0 sleep or 4 days migrain and im tripping now.  

but true good post blast.   im.tripping 

I

icdeadlifters

calmb4dastorm said:
</p><p>This is a great read! Success is the sum of all efforts repeated day in and out. Sure, life grabs us by the balls or in my case , lack thereof  and sometimes puts us in a whirlwind.  It isnt the challenges themselves that determine anything...its how we react and respond to those challenges that makes or break us. We may fall down, but we get right on up and continue to drive on. I only know how to adapt and overcome. There are no other options. Anything worth having at all is worth working for and waiting for.  </p><p>Its funny that you posted about mind conditioning as i posted the exact same topic to  response by some random FT on social media today. I have learned so much here at MG and i continue to learn more about myself and keeping myself conditioned physically and mentally.  </p><p>The body simply will not do anything the mind doesn't tell it to..</p><p> </p><p>
. </p><p> </p><p>X2 the mind tells the body.... Part of my training was "mind over matter" we were taught to block pain, sadness, heat, cold, hunger.....etc. Can't go into details about recon training. But that is so true the mind will make you do things.... Take hunger a lot of people snarl at the fact of eating something repulsive. I was taught that it's a steak and it would taste like steak also.....</p><p>Agree 100</p>

siegmund

head ach gone ,

and great post blast , your 100% right with the discopline , and i figured something out here thankyou ..i was mad at myself ,and more mad i was thinking wtf is wrong with me .im a disciplined brother , and im not getting it in...

BUT I AM , the only differnce is , i made my priority my BUSSINESS  and im taking it places unthinkable , i guess i was to hard at myself , and felt failure and thats not true.  ..but the issue was i put my heart into the bussiness ..and fought and fought for gym time ..and there cannot be 2 PRIORITYS ..so i didnt let myself down ..but im maintaining weight teaining but , soon .

you need mind muscle concentration , lol i was doing a set and looking at blue prints , or answering emails and staying up to 3 or 4 am running numbers.  then getting mad why im not , gaining right ..

like i said i got alot to be proud of and now maybe the migrain and stress subside. thanks for post.  

blastthru23

One must prioritize, there's no getting around it. I mean at least i don't want to be living in my truck in the gym parking lot. First things first. That's discipline too, my brother! Love ya man!