Do all protein sources induce same anabolic resposne

getbig2014

Hey folks !!

I was really wondering on this one and did some research as well but nothing yet.

My question is : Do all protein sources induce equal and similar anabolic response?

Let's suppose if i consume 100 grams of protein from fish, does it contain the same amino acid profile or anabolic response as 100 grams beef protein/chicken/eggs/plant sources etc..

may sound more scientific but might be helpful to know the protein chemistry.

Dolf

I've done some reading on this, and from what I gather not all protein is equal. If memory serves me meats with the exception of pork are the most complete and superior protein sources. My favorites in order are meats, eggs, milk based protein (yogurt, cottage cheese etc), and lastly plant based (nuts) I try to avoid soy as much as possible.

Eriq

Not the same.  There are 20 amino acids that make up body proteins (generally), 8 of which are essential, meaning they can't be made by other amino acids in the body.  Different protein sources have different amino acid profiles.  Most meat sources are more or less complete sources, while many vegetable proteins are not.  As such, vegans mix proteins like rice protein with pea protein to get a complete profile.   You hear the term "limiting agent" in reactions, and it's applicable here too. Having lots of one amino isn't going to help build muscle if others are lacking.   There is a great food facts page at http://nutritiondata.self.com/    Under protein, if you click more info, you can find the amino profile for many foods.  Keep in mind that some aminos are needed in much greater amounts than others. 

Cheers!