Heard and felt a POP while bench pressing

GCmonster

I was bench pressing heavy one day around 2-3 weeks ago, 315lbs to be exact. On my second rep I heard and felt a POP on the left side of my chest. I stopped immediately and thought that I had torn my left pectoral. After a few minutes I had noticed that perhaps my left pectoral did not tear even though the pain was very intense. I stopped my workout and went home with the fear that I probably had torn my left pectoral. I went online to lookup torn pectorals and symptoms and to my relief my left pectoral did not tear. Because there was no bruising" black & blue" marks and I felt no tearing sensation like the symptoms had mentioned. I only had intense pain that wouldn't allow me to do certain exercises like bench press or dips. Now 2-3 weeks later the pain has dissipated and I can finally bench press again. I never went to the hospital to find out what had happened. Has this ever happened to anyone, and if so can you please tell me what I experienced and what had happened to me?

Thank you.

blastthru23

I did have a minor tear in a ligament that severely affected any pec work. It took 18 months to heal it. I should mention that it did not happen at the gym, but while installing some HVAC. 

I also have  friend who did in fact tear a pec. Black and blue as hell, and had to have surgery to reattach the pec muscle. I am curious where this POP occurred, that is was the pop closer to the sternum (medial), or near the attachment to the humerus (distal)? Were you doing flat or incline? I am just curious, and wouldnt be able to give a diagnosis, not a doctor.

ashop

You may want to back off the heavy bench for awhile. Perhaps instead of a straight bar, use some dumbbells or cables

MWard77

I agree with Ashop. Hopefully its just a strain and nothing serious. Back off barbells and lower the weights.

BobbyO190

Problem is where the sound came from....could be a number of places on the chest but more likely a shoulder issue.

Either way  A) If truly concerned seek medical advice.   B) If you can't afford that then go to a chiropractor. They have X-Ray machines and charge a LOT less!   C)  Follow Ashop's advice and alter a little while you heal.

Good luck and PS: To answer your question, never a pectoral tear. Lots of joint issues and a few pulled ligaments but not a ton of help otherwise. Sorry.

Ryan1007

Similar thing happened to me during a meet. Had an MRI partially torn pec. Elected not to have surgery and while it did heal my bench hasn't been the same since and I still feel some pain if I lift heavy to many weeks in a row.