How Did You First Get Introduced To The Gym?

unclem

i started lifting at 12-13 yrs old and havent stopped for more then 4 weeks at one time. i got a tony atlas program sent in mail every month and it showed me to make a base foundation . he showed illistartions of suppersets, then i worked out in the cold until i got gym membership and i met people there i could learn from. i had boris gerasi of the 1977-78 worlds strongest man competitor & donna oliveria former mrs olympia competitor

LHV

When I was about 12, I saw Schwarzenegger on TV so I got the vacuum cleaner pipe, filled it with typeset (my dad worked in printing), taped up the ends and hid it under my bed. I was doing floor presses, about 50 reps, in my bedroom for about six weeks, as the house got really dusty. Then my mum found it, gave me a smack and directed me to the police boys club.

Rand

Just as I started smoking actually: back in school, to conform. At some point, all the "cool" guys started walking around in tank tops, talking about squats and gains, drinking protein shakes, and so on. I have no idea who exactly started it, why did it happen in that one year, but it just happened. Being a teenager, you sort of need to conform, and I was a "member" of that group, so I started to hit the gym too. It was more of a hang out type of approach, from today's perspective I can say that the first year was actually wasted on nothing: we had more breaks between sets than were actually doing something, and my technique sucked so bad. Maybe I'll say the same about my routine now in 10 years or so, but back then it was a disaster.

Most other guys dropped it with no results at all in a year, just me and 3 others went on, and it sort of turned into a lifestyle. I know that both are still hitting it back in my hometown, though I moved and we don't talk a lot any more.

Anyway, of all the shit I could do in school to "conform" at the time, gym is probably the best one, so I'm grateful.

Reactions: LHV

lineman1007

I was always built like a fire plug...lol thanks to my Pop. Hit the weights in high school in the '70's. Squats, bench press, dumb bells..... Always had a physical job so a lot of us worked out at the gym together. I'm 5'10'' and was 235 at my peak. Loved to power lift. Now, I just maintain and use very strict form and light to moderate weight. I am now at 210. I am just very thankful I did not damage myself over the years and now I can still workout without much pain. Diet and doc visits helped a lot, too.

Reactions: LHV

Lee.the.Demi.Human

those are usually the ones who can't understand why they've been "working out" for a year and have no gains and then says that whoever gains uses steroids. "it's all steroids"
I actually work with that guy.

He started training a couple of months before me, and basically has remained unchanged the whole time.

Told me I won't be able to grow muscle without going to the gym and hitting the heavy weights.

I have done neither of those things and I literally eclipse him.

It'll just be the steroids though.

bobby ricky

those are usually the ones who can't understand why they've been "working out" for a year and have no gains and then says that whoever gains uses steroids. "it's all steroids"
I feel everyone knows in the gym that I’m on gear. Only me and a handful of guy’s are making all the gains. I’m confident on picking out the guy’s on gear. But the guy’s with the gains are sweating their asses off and work nonstop. Hats on headphones on and just not open to conversation 👍. One totally out of shape guy asked me what I was eating and I told him lots of pussy😂. I also lied about taking gear and think I should just tell the truth just because I hate lying but I don’t know. Any of you guy’s tell the truth about your ped use?

Lee.the.Demi.Human

I feel everyone knows in the gym that I’m on gear. Only me and a handful of guy’s are making all the gains. I’m confident on picking out the guy’s on gear. But the guy’s with the gains are sweating their asses off and work nonstop. Hats on headphones on and just not open to conversation 👍. One totally out of shape guy asked me what I was eating and I told him lots of pussy😂. I also lied about taking gear and think I should just tell the truth just because I hate lying but I don’t know. Any of you guy’s tell the truth about your ped use?
Yes mate, it's only my work that I don't admit to it.

Everyone knows I get hormone replacement, I just not told them that I replace them with steroids.

zakco

I was 22, we had a laborer on our crew who was a meathead. One day at his house he handed me a stack of "MuscleMag" and "Flex" magazines and said "take these....I've read them already" so I did and after thumbing through those I came up with my first weightlifting regimen.....I was a kid with a wife and two little ones so a gym membership was unaffordable.....but I'm a carpenter so I built everything I needed from scraps on the job and honestly my first weight set was sandbags duck taped to a piece of PVC pipe with an oak dowel inside to give it strength.....slowly I managed to pick up weights and bars at garage sales and from sales at local sporting goods stores. I actually lifted weights in my garage for 8 years before ever setting foot in a gym. ROOTS BABY!!!

Rand

So many people don’t do shit. They sit on machines and text. And so many old guy’s like me bust their ass and get nowhere because of androgen deficiency.
Most importantly — they sit on MACHINES. Guys with pencil thick legs love leg curl machines but I never see them in a squat rack. I always wonder why waste time on quads only if a wind can break your leg.

zakco

Most importantly — they sit on MACHINES. Guys with pencil thick legs love leg curl machines but I never see them in a squat rack. I always wonder why waste time on quads only if a wind can break your leg.
It's nice though man cause back in the day squat racks and free weights were what everyone did......finding an open squat rack was hard! Now all people do is kettlebell swings and Peterson step ups or whatever the fuck they saw on Instagram that day......squat racks and free weights are wide open!!

fanpagedown

It's always fun to hear about how people first got into the gym! It's true, things have definitely evolved over time. The squat rack hustle sounds like a blast from the past.