how do you keep track of meals?

blastthru23

[[{"fid":"31275","view_mode":"wysiwyg","fields":{"format":"wysiwyg","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":"plan and schedule "},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":280,"width":280,"class":"media-element file-wysiwyg"},"link_text":null}]]

I posted this in member pictures, but Sharon showed me how to post pics in the forum. Plus i thought this might be an interesting topic, maybe. The chart on the left is the menu in personlized shorthand, the chart on the right has a row for the week and an L, M, or H, which indicates whether its a low, moderate, or high carb day. Next time, I'll have my daughter show me how to use excel, right Semp? Lol!

I'm old, and still rockin old school ;)

I

icdeadlifters

blastthru23 said:
</p><p>[[{"fid":"31275","view_mode":"wysiwyg","fields":{"format":"wysiwyg","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":"plan and schedule "},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":280,"width":280,"class":"media-element file-wysiwyg"},"link_text":null}]]</p><p>I posted this in member pictures, but Sharon showed me how to post pics in the forum. Plus i thought this might be an interesting topic, maybe. The chart on the left is the menu in personlized shorthand, the chart on the right has a row for the week and an L, M, or H, which indicates whether its a low, moderate, or high carb day. Next time, I'll have my daughter show me how to use excel, right Semp? Lol!</p><p>I'm old, and still rockin old school ;)</p><p>
. </p><p> </p><p>Go to app store and look up meal tracker, there is a lot of apps that will help.... Like my fitness app etc...</p>

TKC432

I am somewhere in the middle ... not hip on the whole app thing and I feel I need more than a notebook.  For the past 2 years I have been tracking my meals in and Excel spreadsheet I created.  I jot down what I eat throughout the day on scratch paper and enter the data when I get home.  Works pretty well for me.  Sometimes it feels like a chore to input all the info and I swear that someday I am gonna tweak the program more to simplify things, but for now it is how I do it.  Tracks kCal - Fat - Protein - Carbs   and gives me the percentage breakdown at the bottom  .... I find it works very well while on a cut ... at least that's when I feel I need to be the most accurate with every single thing I toss down the hatch. 

blastthru23

eah, I'm not an app dude, i have to hand write everything. I learned excel when i worked at a law firm, but the skill escaped me. Plus my computer sucks... i do most stuff from my phone :p

swolesam

apps are MUCH easier than paper & pen for 1 major reason, you can SEARCH much faster since its electronic. paper becomes redundant after a few months, and hard to look through.

Another reason is paper is NOT portable. You're app in your smart phone is!

My fav app of all time is MyNetDiary on andriod. They might have it for apple as well. I used it for 3 months straight, and the findings where ALARMING. I was GROSSLY LOW on protein, and GROSSLY LOW on Fat, and high on carbs. Which is the complete opposite of what i need to do for my body type!! In these 3 months i applied portion control, elevated my protein tremendously and uped the healthy fats and lowered ALL the carbs. My physique has been DRASTICALLY changing !

I stopped using the app anymore, because i already know what meals would add up to what numbers (approx) after logging everything for 3 months straight. In other words im on cruise control now ;)

SemperFi

Thats called a "Macro Guru". Let us know when you can guess the weight of any given chicken breast within a few grams. Then you are a "Macro God". ;)

SEMPER FI

swolesam

i dont need the exact weight semper. As far as chicken breasts, the ones i buy are all approx the same size, i might be off with a few 1 or 2 ozs but you can bet your ass im off to the upside NOT the downside.  Its a very accurate guesstimate that balances itself out by the end of the day as to what the total C/F/P grams are and their ratios.

swolesam

lol

btw, i still use the food scale, the measuring cup and the cutting boards in my kitchen ;) I just dont use the app to log the info since the 3 month habituated me to the number of meals and their content. But as far as the actual foods, i still weight & measure everything - cant do away w/ that. :)

blastthru23

I may have to try the app, seems its the wave of the present! The paper method has worked pretty well over the years, but i can't account for the this-and-thats that come from time to time. As a general rule, i always weigh out over the allotted amount when it comes to protein, fats usually stay on point, carbs i play with from time to time usually lowering the amount by 3-4 grams per meal. I have to mentally account for when i have my daughter as i almost always finish her leftovers, but i prepare her healthy food nonetheless. Her food typically has higher carbs...growing girl! Also, i find it hard to resist when she brings me some chocolate! She understands i will only eat a tiny piece so she's made her adjustments accordingly :)

The app sam suggested might just come in handy

swolesam

How old's your daughter bro? thats awesome. 

MyNetDiary works the best for me since i get the grams for C/F/P and total calories per day, and the ratios are calculated for you so you get your macro breakdown nicely. Only issue with it is it doesnt discard fibers out of the carb count which makes the total grams of carbs per day "inflated".

blastthru23

My daughter is 10 1/2 :) she fuckin rocks!

I actually calculate total carbs, fiber and all. In some ways i do this just in case that chocolate becomes two, or i finish off her dinner (i cant bring myself to toss food, grandma would have my ass if she saw me throw food out, she used to give us hell if we wasted anything, its beaten into me at this point...) also, i eat a handful of gummy bears post work out; i don't calculate that into total daily carbs, probably due to lingering laziness. So, i built in a carbohydrate safety net so to speak by including the fiber as well. 

swolesam

thats awesome brother. 

Gummy bears LOL :) I know a few ppl on here that love that shit. I personally dont keep ANYTHING candy in my house, i have an addictive personality and if i indulge, it'll be 40 lbs later when i realize! ;)

Rock on Blast !

ramdisck

The apps are on your phone.  no need for a computer.  Don't let tech scare you.  There's a lot of things I'm not good at but I haven't given up trying them yet.  -Golf for one!

blastthru23

Has a 46 on the glycemic index, so it remains active for up to two hours, so it is a good idea to eat some pre-workout to mitigate muscle fatigue. Then post workout to replenish glycogen. Since training periods, for me at least, last up to two hours, but are typically 1.5 hours, another dose pist work out wouldn't be a bad idea. Honey has anti-inflammatory properties, and are anti tumoral as well. There are many other benefits that i could list, but these seem to be the most pertinent. I'll be buying some today (however, I will likely alternate with gummy bears, at least until the package is consumed)

Thanks Semp!

SemperFi

Blast,

Not to mention the specific enzyme makeup. I use honey sticks in a pinch. You know the straw like packages that you cut the top off and suck out the honey? A farmers market near me has local honey sticks but it is not raw so I just use them when I am on the move.

SEMPER FI