Hurricane Harvey

Dolf

Just a sit rep on my situation 

For the past several days I  have been caught up in this natural disaster called Harvey! I have watched it rain for 6, 7, 8, hours at a time dropping an inch to 2.5 to at times 3 inches of rain per hour. I watched on four different occasions water rise up to within a couple inches of coming into my home. I had to move my vehicles to a church parking lot down the road since it was the highest ground in the area. Each time the water was about to come in my house the rain stopped long enough to allow the water to drain off. I was one of the few lucky people. All my family members and friends got water inside their homes. Every home in my hometown I grew up in got flooded. People are hanging onto tree braches with hypothermia awaiting rescue in areas just a few miles from my house. This rain event put to shame any monsoon I experienced in Korea. We are ok, but there's nothing around. No way to get food, water, gas, or any other essential supplys as of now. We were prepared and have plenty of food and water. While the media and certain individuals try to divide us by race, economic class, gender, or religion a crisis shows the true love in most people's hearts for one another. Neighbors helping each other regardless of those things. Thank you to everyone who checked in on me!

Dolf

Guys and gals I try to check in from time to time until this kaos around me gets setyled down.

Stay Frosty & RLTW

blastthru23

Thanks for the update Dolf. Glad youre ok. I cant begin to imagine the enormity of the devestation. My sister is getting deployed to the area to help bolster the nursing shortage, or rather the need for more medics. 

Dolf

I feel very fortunate. I'm watching live local news of boat and helicopter rescues. The look of despair on these peoples faces is so sad to see. My FB page is covered with people begging to be rescued or begging for family members to be rescued. Nursing homes full of elderly people sitting in 3 ft of water waiting on rescue. Many with dementia who have no clue what's happening. Luckily many individuals own boats and are using their boats to rescue others. The first bit of good news is the rain has stopped.

SemperFi

LMAO.... me either. Most definitely a must avoid on a trip to the ville to get the drink on. My last visit to Korea was 1986, Operation Bear Hunt..... yes, I am old, ;)

SEMPER FI

strong

Thanks for the update Dolf. I'm sorry you have to deal with this brother. At least you were smart enough to have food and water stored. God Bless... 

bigjerseyd

thats awesome.  I went to Korea feb 03 to august 03 as a deployment from ft riley, kansas for operation foal eagle.  it was supposed to only be a 3 month shot but with the war kicking off in march all of the birds got tied up and we had en extended stay.  It was great because all we did is drink soju and PT.  Got my EIB and manchu belt buckle on good old camp casey.

Dolf

My brother whose a former Marine was at Operation Besr Hunt in 1986. Small world lol

Dolf

Me and my family are alive and kicking. It's a horrible situation here. They're still rescuing people from their attics by helicopter. The water is still rising due to rivers still rising. Some who made it without water in their homes are now getting water inside. They're doing their best to get essential supplies in, but all the roads in and out of the area are flooded. I never leave home without my pistol, but right now I'm carrying 2 on me.

ESmetalhead

Thinking of you brother.  There are some great stories of people coming together the help one another.   http://speedsociety.com/massive-line-of-trucks-towing-boats-forming-in-texas-to-help-hurricane-victims/

Dolf

Watching everyone come together to help each other definitely gives you faith in today's society. 

blue9802

as all who have participated in this thread know that im based in the panhandle of FL, and have been blessed to have the ability to provide a safe place to stay for 2 families from south FL, well it just wasnt enough and my heart was tugging at me to do more for the people who have been forced to leave home and most likely return to nothing at all...now im not a wealthy man and i also have a wife and child to support  but as all of us do i had put some small funds aside for my reg offseason cycle, well im proud to say that as a family we were able to put a family of 5 into a hampton inn for 3 days and the joy ive felt just being able to provide for these families is a feeling words cant describe. life is short and i wanna encourage all who have the ability to please help these people....the greatest pump in the world cant compare to the feeling you will get in your heart knowing you did what you could to ease the pain these people may face in the near future.....much love to all my mg family and if your in this storms path please pm me so we can try to get you the help you deserve as a member of the greatest country in the world the USA