KETO!!!

Scandal

Keto Diet:

Right I know I am late to the party with this and Atkins, etc have been around for years but I'm 4 weeks in on a deep Keto diet. Watching too much shit on YouTube and a desire to experiment with my body I thought I would give it a go! I'm also 8 weeks in on m y Test/Deca cycle.

I've watched everything from Dave Palumbo approach to some hippy who live on a tropical mountain somewhere! So i decided with the full fat approach, Carbs 5% (40g), Protein 25% and Fats 70% of macros based on 2,500 kcal. Most fats are good fats and not make up from junk shit, and no Carbs are from a direct source. I've not eaten bread, rice, pasta, fruit, any sugar or processed shit for a month! I even have a 'Bulletproof Coffee' every morning!

First two weeks and it was very hard, pissing all the time (4/5 times at night), always thirsty, brain fog, anxious, and not good company. Now well on way, Carb cravings have nearly gone, I'm losing BF which is the whole point of the diet and I feel good, it gets hard in gym after 1 hour and pumps are well down but strength all ok. last week started taking 2 teaspoons of table salt a day which has stopped the brain fog, Keto causes huge water dump from the body and Sodium loss during first few weeks.

I am defo looking leaner, dropped 2% in BF but kept weight same (thanks to the AAS), my bottom Abs are trying to break out and I think another few months and I'll see something on my stomach which hasn't been there since I was 18!

After 3 months I'm gonna introduce a Carb day, just one day and I'll drop in 400g of cleanish Carbs, this is something that Palumbo recommends from day one, but I want to get BF to 10% before I start Carb re-feed. 

Anyone else had any experience of this madness!!

Cheers.

SemperFi

I spend most of the year ketone adapted!  I find that 35-40% protein and 55-60% fat works great for me. Do not be scared to increase your proteins. Your body will just switch over to gluconeogenesis (using protein for energy) which is already a positive side effect of ketosis. ;)

L-glutamine is a great addition to fight the evening carb cravings if you have them. 

SEMPER FI

Dolf

Keto is great. The carb refeed is designed to make keto more effective by tricking your body into thinking it's getting carbs for energy, so that your body doesn't resort to trying to store fat for emergency purposes. The theory is if you go too long without carbs ketosis will stop burning fat, and resort to its caveman instincts of fat storage for emergencies. 

Scandal

Cheers guys great advice from top MG's. I got interested on the Keto approach after watching hours of Ric Drasin vids on what him and Arnold et al ate in the 70/80's, and it was just protein and fats, with a Carb blowout once a week! So proves the body does need daily carbs to grow! 

Think I will increase Protein over time SF and yes I'm on with L-glutamine and every other amino acid available! I take about 15 vitamin tablets a day, at 49 I need all the help I can get! 

I have heard that about the re-feed Dolf and it stacks up so that's another one on my to-do strategy!

All good guys, cheers.

ESmetalhead

Fats have been demonized they are a longer lasting source of energy than short burst sugars.  The sugar industry acted as the smoking industry did by paying researchers to get the results they wanted.   Then scapegoating fats as the cause heart disease and obesity.  They benefited two fold by falsely indicating that sugar is not harmful and causing product to to remove fat.  When a product is low-fat they compensate for the poor taste by adding sugar increasing their profits    Give me today we still have so many low-fat products that have added sugar.  There's a very interesting documentary called Sugarcoated

SemperFi

Scandal,

Are you incorporating MCT oil in other areas of your diet besides your coffee? If not, place it under consideration.

SEMPER FI

M

Mister A

Another benefit to a refeed day is that it restores the activity of the hormone Leptin. Leptin is a hormone whose antagonist hormone is Ghrelin (known as The Hunger Hormone). Leptin is signaled by the hypothalamus gland and its primary function is said to be the regulation of fat stores. It also plays a large role in decreasing appetite. After Leptin binds with its receptor it works through several different pathways (all of which are beyond my grasp of understanding). However these multiple pathways open the door for heavy resistance to Leptin which is something we see in obese individuals. What we see on low or zero carb diets is a decreased presence of Leptin which is what causes the hunger associated with such diets (as Leptin decreases, Ghrelin increases). Sounds perfect for weight loss however, such conditions are not sustainable and an absence of Leptin will eventually result in weight gain via fat storage as the body recognizes it's starving through the absence or presence of these hormones. Furthermore, as stated as earlier, Leptin's primary role is to regulate fat stores. So although low carb/low calorie diets work to regulate fat stores, results begin to dwindle once Leptin is removed from the equation.

Therefore, a carb "refeed" day is thought to restore Leptin levels, effectively lowering hunger while simultaneously having a positive effect on fat storage (the presence of Leptin signals that fat storage is no longer necessary). This is why individuals who immediately and drastically lower their caloric intake in search of losing body fat actually end up storing fat. This also proves that "refeed" days are not only beneficial to cutting diets, but necessary to their sustained efficacy.

Anecdotal reports I've read from competitive bodybuilders and coaches claim great success in restoring Leptin through a refeed day that consists of increasing total caloric intake to match their TDEE, lowering protein to 1g per pound of bodyweight, reducing fat intake to as close to zero as possible (negligible fat from protein sources withstanding) and filling in the rest of the calories with carbohydrates.

SemperFi

Great information and a great description of the basis of a revised anabolic diet.

Thanks for sharing and making it easy to understand Mister A. 

SEMPER FI

JdDaniel01

Arnold and Franco used to go to a bakery in Santa Monica and each eat en entire cherry pie on an occasional cheat/reset day, lol. 

Scandal

All good, been 4 months now, surgeon said full recovery 6-8 months but was back in the gym after 6 weeks!

Scandal

Great info there Mister A, all my research suggest a re-feed day is the way to go, I plan to keep Carb free for 3 months then introduce a weekly re-feed day of good clean carbs!