Masteron and SHBG suppression

M

MoreCowbell

On another thread the overlooked ability of some steroids to suppress SHBG (Steroid Hormone Binding Globule) was raised. Like cortisol suppression, lowering SHBG is a benefit that does not, in my opinion , get enough attention. Therefore, lets unpack this topic.

Winstrol can lower SHBG, but the biggest impact upon SHBG comes from Masteron. SHBG determines receptor affinity. In plain English, that means that adding Masteron to Testosterone makes the testosterone more effective. Adding 300 mgs of Masteron to 400 mgs of Testosterone means that the test will perform like 600 mgs of test, without the added water retention, estrogen and other undesirable side effects. Plus, you have a greater fat loss.

How does this all work? SHBG, which increases after the age of 27, inhibits testosterone. Testosterone circulates in the bloodstream, bound mostly to SHBG. Only 1-2% is “free” and thus biologically available. What Masteron does is it “uncouples” the bound testosterone from SHBG, making it free and therefore biologically active. Think of a parking lot. The spaces are your testosterone receptors. The lot is full of cars. Masteron is like a tow truck that comes in and tows cars away, freeing them up for more results from your testosterone. 400 mgs has the effect of 600 mgs.

Lets look at the practical results. You are on testosterone replacement. Low test is very very common. Low testosterone has all sorts of negative health repurcussions. Normal testosterone levels are between 300 and 1100 ng. You are much healthier if you are in the high normal range. You supplement with 200 mgs of exogenous test/week. Your total test is around 1000. Without Mast your free test was is 11 ng's....but using Mast increases it to 22.8, more than two times normal.

In short, Masteron will dramatically increase the effectiveness and reduce the side effects of testosterone

SemperFi

Nice article and information on suppressing SHGB and increasing the benefits of exogenous testosterone supplementation. Lowering SHGB is like doubling your vehicles gas milage by adding a simple gas adaptive.

Some my want to research Trestolone Acetate (MENT) also as it does not bind to SHGB making it a much more effective compound mg per mg. Research seems to suggest that it can be used as a stand alone but certainly not something that I would recommend from my limited expereince with it. It is a 19-nor and will not increase testosterone serum levels. 

NOTE- Ment is the only steroid in production today that is capable of sustaining normal male physiology in the complete absence of testosterone, including sexual functioning.

SEMPER FI

M

MoreCowbell

Semper: I know very little about this compound, but also heard it is very hard on the system. You ran it?

M

MoreCowbell

Unfortunately, I have no need for a male contraceptive. My problem is that no females are interested in having sex with me:)

Is there a pill for that?

SemperFi

Yes.

In my personal experience the possible sides are well overstated because of the lack of first hand experience. It is a very versatile compound and I will not hesitate using it again in the future. It is being studied as a male contraceptive so that is legit because it will shut you down hard.

The negative sides effects of MENT are nothing compared to what you hear about tren.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

Nice write up cowbell! +2 brotha

Any compound that lowers shbg is an advantage. adrol is another compound that does as well. 

SemperFi

I would also like to mention that DHT derivatives (winny, mast, provi, etc.) are the reason for the lowering effect in SHGB. SHGB binds strongest to DHT thus freeing up more testosterone.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

And explains the slight anti e properties. Less bound test equals less test to be converted to e2 

M

Mister A

Cowbell, you say that adding 300mg of Mast to 400mg of Test turns it into 600mg. I understand the way DHT derivatives bind to SHBG and the effect they have on Free Test. What I'd like to know is how these numbers are figured out. Is there a formula? I've heard numbers like this before and I'm just trying to understand how you arrived at this number.

If I follow the math that 300mg of Mast increases test by 1.5 then running a cycle of 1000mg of Test and 600mg of Mast would be like using 2000mg of Test. Is this equation accurate?

SemperFi

It doesn't work that way Griz.

It all depends on how much free T is available. It is not an exact formula and the circulating levels will be dependent on each and every individual. It is impossible for anyone to tell you what the activity will be for you. Example - My natural SHBG is on average 17-23 which is on the very low end already where yours might be higher in the normal range.

MC might have a formula that could work for everyone.

SEMPER FI

M

MoreCowbell

Mister A: Those are guesstimates. I can tell you that I do have labs stating that Masterone lowered SHBG significantly and dramatically increased my free test. I was running HRT test, around 250-300 mgs a week. Adding Masteron nearly doubled my free test from 12 ng to 22.8.

When you are getting into very large, 1 plus gram/week of test I have no data. If I went to my TRT doc on 1500 mgs/test a week he would probably refuse to treat me unless I reduced that amount. I would also speculate that there would be a diminishing return of the impact of SHBG reduction.

I am not judging. The last time I was on stage I was running a gram and a half of test. Competitive bodybuilding is not about health. It is about winning. Today I am much older and interested primarily in continuing an athletic lifestyle into my AARP days. My highest weekly total of test is 300 mgs. If I stack it with Mast the total may be 400 mgs, no more. I take 20 mgs of Anavar 4 days a week. I run 1.5 iu's of GH/day, or MK-677. I essentially keep all my levels high normal so I can train very hard 5-6 days a week.  I am on HRT 10 months out of the year.  

M

Mister A

I figured that there was a rate of diminishing returns. It wasn't clear that these numbers were estimates and that's why I asked. Thank you for explaining.

M

MoreCowbell

No one will sanction a study where participants are using those amounts of gear. At 1.5 grams you are definitely saturating receptors to a large degree. Stacking multiple drugs on top probably results in a scenario where SHBG is not a large factor. I have seen amateurs running 3-4 grams/week. IFBB pros have run 3-4 grams of test/week alone, not counting all the other drugs.  

TKC432

Very interesting stuff.   Sitting at my desk learning about all this rather than doing the mundane work I'm getting paid for.  I love MG .... since joining this community I have increased my knowledge exponentially and come to respect everyone here.  Currently on 500mg Test e / Week and Var 80mg ED  .... just got blood work done last wednesday .... should have the results soon.  From what I have been reading here, Var being a DHT derivative should suppress SHBG and ultimately result in elevated Free T levels ..... good stuff!   So glad to be part of the MG Family !

Dolf

Var is great for targeting visceral fat too. That's the fat between the skin and muscle. Of course diet dictates these factors.

TKC432

Dolf said:
</p><p>Var is great for targeting visceral fat too. That's the fat between the skin and muscle. Of course diet dictates these factors.</p><p>
</p><p>Another reason why I added the Var for the last 6 weeks of the cycle .... diet is on-point so things should progress nicely.</p>

blastthru23

This discussion has really brought to light the synergistic effects shared by complimentary compounds. It's like sitting in on an upper division class at a top university. Good stuff.  Thanks you all for sharing and contributing,  I'm just lurking here and learning. Until now, I've only knew of synergy at face value, now I'm getting the "how it works" part. I love this forum, and all of you gear gurus! Again, thanks a million :)