Need help with lipid panel

Clint Gymrat

Got some blood work back. Trying to get everything on point for a cycle but am alarmed at my lipid panel. I’ve never encountered any problems with my numbers so this has me baffled a bit. I can only assume that smoking and my bad diet for the past 2 months caught up to me. I know my hematocrit is a bit higher than normal for me but I’m due to give blood. The RBCs and everything else checked out fine. I am surprised to see my HDL so low. Normally run around 45-50 but this time I’m down to 33 but all other lipid numbers are fine excluding my LDLs which arent Horrible but higher than normal for me. I know they’ll fall with my diet back in place. My question is how bad my HDL is when you consider that my other numbers are either right on point or slightly elevated. I’ve read where low HDL isn’t that bad as long as your LDL and triglycerides aren’t out of whack. I mean I’m still trying to get the HDL up with stopping smoking again and eating more flaxseed, hempseed, apples, red grapes, fish, etc... but I’m wondering how fast a person can typically raise their HDL with a good diet? I know everyone is different but just trying to get a half ass timeframe. I’ve not run a cycle in over a year due to a heart arrhythmia and I’ve got the itch to blast out a test only cycle but I won’t do it until I know my numbers are good to go. Just trying to see if anyone else had to elevate their HDL and what timeframe it took them to do it with their diet. Well, I thought I could load a pic here but can’t so ill type the #s out. 

Total Cholesterol is 163. Reference range 100-199

Triglycerides 130. Reference range 0-149

HDL 33. Reference interval greater than 39

VLDL 26. Reference range 5-40

LDL 104. Reference range 0-99

Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio 4.9. Referance range 0.0-5.0

SemperFi

Your numbers are not bad at all and some minor diet changes will help. You are doing the right thing with the fiber. I would estimate 6-8 weeks but most people can see improvements quicker than that. Increasing healthy fats and reducing sugar/alcohol intake is a proven effective way to improve HDL/LDL ratios.

If you are a carb'er than limiting saturated and trans fats is a must. If you are LCHF or keto dieter than increase saturated fats, avoid trans fats and eliminate processed carbs. Saturate fats will only have a negative impact on lipids in the presence of too many carbohydrates in the majority of cases. In the case of a LCHF or keto diet saturated fats actually have a positive impact on lipids.

SEMPER FI

Clint Gymrat

Appreciate the knowledge bro. Yeah, I got sloppy the last  2 1/2 months and been eating out at least 4 times a week. Before that I’ve been on a consistent diet for 3 years. I guess laziness and being burnt out a bit got me. I’m not use to seeing any high or lows on my lipids. I knew I wasn’t in dire shape as I’ve researched and seen ppl saying they was in the teens on their HDL but I still didn’t like seeing mine lower than normal. Guess I’m so anal that any deviation in my numbers gets me excited. My diet has been back on track now for 2 weeks so hopefully that’ll even things out again. Figure I’ll check my lipids again in 4 weeks. Then hopefully be able to run a cycle. Thanks again buddy!