Protein absorption

M

Mister A

Assuming she is 121 pounds, a very small amount of carbs when her blood sugar is that low would spike her insulin. 5 grams of carbs will be plenty to turn the signal on for a woman her size. Unless she chooses to limit her carbs to only first thing in the morning and immediately post workout. Then I would suggest 10 grams in the morning and 15 grams post workout with the rest of her meals consisting of only protein and fat. Our muscles only have so much intracellular gylocogen storage potential. That potential is determined by the amount of muscle we have. Any glucose presented to the body at the time of an insulin spike that is not stored as muscle or liver glycogen will almost always be stored as fat, barring the use of a compound such as Tren which has amazing nutrient partitioning effects and will deflect fat storage under almost any circumstances.

SemperFi

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of L-Glutamine being beneficial for sugar cravings. I do volunteer work with many veterans addicted to alcohol and the facility where I volunteer first step of treatment is supplementing clients with L-Glutamine to assist in curbing the craving for alcohol (sugar). Glutamine coverts to glucose VERY quickly and proteins (amino acids) in general curb sugar cravings. There is no hard evidence that L-Glutamine specifically curbs sugar craving but I have witnessed too many first hand accounts of it working for many individuals. 

If it does not work for you than don't take it since your body can synthesize enough of it on its own or through diet for normal body functions. If you find it works for your sugar cravings than by all means use it. A very cheap experiment.

Whoever considers glutamine practically useless is very narrow minded and misinformed.

Is that enough enlightenment for you? ;)

SEMPER FI

Hey Mister A,

I try to have all intake of carbs by lunchtime/afternoon.  I will not be using Tren as a compound that I can foresee in the near future. 

My body can easily spike with carbs and can crash just as fast. 

blastthru23

When I was kicking a booze habit, I read that L-glutamine is helpful. I personally didn't use it as kicking the habit was easy thankfully (guess I wasn't full blown alcoholic) but it was recommended monetheless

blastthru23

Do some of vets get into training? Seems a good idea to staying off the booze and drugs since there's a supportive community, a focus, and the natural high. Then a sense of purpose too. I imagine it would be a good thing as the body heals, a the individu starts to feel better physically, and mentally. I know a good handful of ex addicts that are now regular gym rats :)

Dolf

That's why timing insulin spikes is important. First thing in the morning when you muscles are starved for nutrients, and post workout. Not sure about morning time, but post workout you'd be hard pressed to consume enough csrbs to be stored as fat. That's not my personal opinion, but the opinion of Dr Jim Stoppani. 

Hey Dolf!

I appreciate your help and response to this. When I wake honestly I have a hard time eating. I usually do a fasting work out; I know, not good. But seriously if I ate before the gym and have tried it  I feel sick. Granted I am in the gym at 5am. When I get home I drink my "home made" whey protein drink and have oatmeal or a hearty grain cereal such as organic granola. Thoughts???

Dolf

I get up at 3am 3 days a week to hit the gym. When cutting I also do a fasted cardio and training session. When I get home I have a handful of gummies, a whey shake with 1/4 cup oats added, 1 whole egg and 3/4 cup of egg whites. When cutting reduce carbs and add protein every chance you can. Of course post workout you will want some carbs.

swolesam

If you feel sick from eating prior to gym, make a protein shake, throw in peanut butter which i do cause fats and protein are good before the gym (within 1 hour). If thats not an option for you, look for a complex carb pre-gym like brown rice , brown quinoa, ... and some protein.

if you're cutting or recomp'ing, you can do with high protein and VERY low carbs POST workout. You can even do Amino acids within (INTRA) the workout to keep your amino acid intake going during workout, hence prevent you going into catabolic state especially if your workouts extend past 1.5 hours in length.

1 thing to remember is to stay away from fat post workout. Your receptors are sensitized post workout & you need to get the nutrients in there, FAT slows down the process, hence undesirable post workout.

B

Burrr

Dolf, your dedication is very impressive. I know you work a hard labor kind of job as well. props brother

Hey Dolf! I am up at 3 am as well! Must be on the same time schedule! I get up and work on my biz...hit the gym at 5 till 7 then work my FT job...I guess I hope I am not doing my body harm by not eating/fasting work out. I just cannot stomach food that early. So when I get home I load on protein and carbs. I am not sure I can add that much protein and "gummies" as well as I think my Macro's are a tad less?

I just cannot stomache food that early..nothing at all really...so I prefer to work out fasting. When I get home I load on protein and carbs. No fat! My first round of fat is usually during my mid morning snack consisting of peanut butter and an apple. My work outs typically average 1.5 hours...but there are times I do extend into 2. When I do a 3 hour work out that is on a weekend day..so I do eat before going as I am not at the gym at the butt crack!

SemperFi

blastthru23 said:
</p><p>Do some of vets get into training? 
</p><p>Some do and some don't. Many, if not most, vets are addictive by nature. If they grab hold of the lifestyle they generally will remain committed to it as long as they can get the balance of their life in order. The biggest adjustment to overcome when leaving military service for a lot of veterns is to feel they have a purpose. The other biggest issue is the loss of camaraderie. I don't want to alienate the non-service members here but unless you have experienced the camaraderie that is found in military service, particularly in combat, it is not something that can be explained.</p><p> </p><p>SEMPER FI</p>