Question

Standingup

I do not happen to believe in the bible, tora or koran. As a result I do not go to any church, temple or mosque for worship.

If someone has decided the bible is the word of god and jesus is their savior then so be it, its their choice. My question is what would you say about someone who does not believe in the bible, yet goes to church on sunday ?  To me that just seems completely phoney . Am I off base here ?

siegmund

Dont believe ,

in the bible , you dont go to church , period !! I dont believe in the bible , I dont go to church , lets just say I believe in the mother earth , and sky father ,  .. but no. Church ,  if you didnt beleive in the bible why would someone want to be at church ?.unless the wife goes to church and trying to convrrt him. ..  idk I. Just getting out of work on , whats today palm sunday ,.y belief is , get enough fire wood now for winter ,   and im srarting my pile 

D

dolfanshan

I would say to please their spouse or uphold a certain status in the community. 

Standingup

Yeah see thats where Im at. Im arguing with my wife because her parents and sister go to church and they say its to be recognized by the community. So I said to them, " you go to church to be seen ?" .  That just seems so phoney to me. My wife says they are just looking to be a part of something, but how can they be a part of something unless they believe in the fundamental core ?

Standingup

ok well thats what my wife says.  I just cant wrap my head around that though. Because if people see them there and think "oh they are good christians " , shouldnt that mean they believe ?

csancheezy

the bible talks about people like that, who do things just to be viewed or looked at a certain way, yet they have no heart toward what they say they believe. Unfortunately it is very common in most ideologies or believe systems.

siegmund

I agree with you , 

Im not.going to church , to be accepted , you accept me for who I am , and I guess some ppl , I hate to say insecure , but to me if someone is lieing to try to be accepted by others , something isnt right .. low something there ... its a deep topic , most deffently with problely alot of different perspectives, im with you 

D

dolfanshan

A lot of people have the misbelief church is only for good people. Perfect people don't need church. Church is for sinners, so I wouldn't say he doesn't belong. There's a saying that goes church is not a museum for the righteous, but a hospital for the broken.

csancheezy

See the Pharisee's were the Jewish religious leaders at the time of the writing of the four gospels. The pharisee's are continually spoken of in the bible because of their desire to do what is pleasing before man and man only. To pray the loudest, sit in the best seat, to give the most, to "appear" the most righteous.. but see these cats were missing it the whole time because they were "blowing their trumpets in the street" (letting everyone know what they were doing), and that was the only reason for their actions. Recognition.

D

dolfanshan

Although deeply rooted in my beliefs I'm not real big on discussing politics or religion on here. I never use either of those as a means of determining friendship. I use how you are as a person and how you treat me as a friend. However it is refreshing sometimes to see people from all types of beliefs, backgrounds, and thought processes to work so well together as a community for one common goal. 

Outlawthing

it is irrelevant wether you go to church will not save you  its only if you believe that the lord sent his son to die for our Sins  will you have salvation  imo so going for status  prob isn't gonna help  I don't feel comfortable in church due to hypocrits so I don't go but am well versed grandfather was a preacher 

Standingup

I agree, its a dicey topic. I had hoped that the way I phrased it would not be offensive to anyone who does or does not believe. I am always happy to see a discussion carried forward with success .  Im happy with the way this turned out. I have learned something.

MRFIXIT

Dont let your right hand know what the left hand is doing.... I hate when someone toots their own horn for doing something good...

I gave money to a bum on the streets.. i helped the homeless and gave them food ... blah blah blah... so fucking what... A man with character does those things, and says nothing! 

Standingup

I agree with that completely. Being generous, kind and giving is part of lifes routine, but its not worth mentioning because to me its just a part of life, just like breathing. Its not a special act its just the right thing to do.  I will however tell my wife or my kids at dinner if something occurred , and my kids have seen me turn around countless times to offer assistance and even first aid after an accident, but that's because I hope they will also grow to the type of person who does those things without being told to by a preacher.

My mother and father in law, the ones who go to church but do not believe in the bible think Im crazy for stopping to help people, and they get angry if they see me give away money, they look at me like Im a fool and have the attitude that one day that person I am helping will cut my throat. They are paranoid and see everything as a scam or con job.

BillyDwilliams

I believe all religions were created to give their "people" something to believe in.  Typically religious people tend to me socially viable in the sense that they live their lives to do good.  Not to say someone who doesn't believe in God does not do good...but it just gives people something to put hope into.  You tend to hear ppl in jail, or recovering addicts tell you they have found God...well does this mean they were addicts or criminals because they couldn't find him b4??   There's too many questions