Speechless..

JdDaniel01

Third shipmate from my old squadron to blow their brains out since the start of the year. This shit is getting to be too much...

bigjerseyd

I'm sorry for your loss brother. I'm in the same boat losing brothers left and right. Sometimes they reach out and they have a fighting chance to receive help but it's the ones that come out of nowhere that really shake me up the most. I know I don't know you well, but if you ever need an ear I'm here, that goes for anyone.

JARHEAD2

I am sorry brother & I know how you feel & what you’re facing because I’ve been there! Life on this side isn’t fair & I won’t bore you with the causes & reasons of why. Also, last Saturday night I was up all night with my 19 year old son who is 6’4” & 260 lbs crying & telling me he was done & wanted to kill himself. That’s a whole different pain than I’ve felt before. As someone who genuinely knows your pain, I’m here for you. Someone has to be strong & save lives others & let them know there’s still options & suicide isn’t one of them! I want you to that I’m sincerely praying for you my dear friend!!

JdDaniel01

I think it hit me so hard because I’ve been in Those shoes myself more nights than I care to count. Really causes conflicting emotions. Thats probably the hardest part, it’s one of those things that is so traumatic that you can’t really even find the words to express your feelings so it’s hard to really get together with your circle and have a full conversation about it like you would during other difficult situations. You could have ten different people and they would all handle it ten different ways, so as I’ve found out three times lately it can cause a chain reaction. One after the other because it’s so easy to feel like it should have been you instead of them. I’ve pretty much gotten away from those feelings myself, because all you can do is live for your brothers and see through the life you know they deserved and would want to live

JARHEAD2

You’re right bro & I’ve been there. I went to bed high & drunk with a 12 gauge shotgun one night & I remember pulling the hammer, putting in under my chin & pulling the trigger. I woke up several hours later & was scared because of what I remembered & I broke the shotgun down & when I saw the that the primer was dented where the firing pin hit it & It didn’t go off.... well it was a big wake up & now through that I’ve dealt with so many including my son who thought they wanted to die & talked them through it & helped them. That’s the purpose of you being alive as well & you can help others brother & save lives through your strength!!

wonderpunk24

I feel you, my friend. But you said it best:  The best way to honor your friend is just keep giving your all, and living the best life for you. 

BobbyO190

Mental health is so important and so hard to track. We tend to think it's only about the truly ill, those with actual physical issues in their brain.

But most of mental health is day to day and stress and quite honestly Spiritual warfare, define that as you will, and our mental health can break down for short windows. Most of us experience these now and then and we "fight through" and know it's all good on the other side of the mountain BUT at the time, while in the darkness. It can be tough. 

It breaks my heart when people suicide. I always wonder if I could have done something to help. The best I can do is forgive them (might sound silly but it does my heart good and seems to put me in the right place to minister properly to their families) and to try to find a way to help the next one. 

Advice for anyone who ever feels such tendancies….find a thearapist, hopefully a good one but mostly just one who will listen, then to pour your heart out to them until it passes. I would love to say get a good friend or a drinking buddy but that is terrible advice because what if you don't have such a bud available? Do you then not feel more alone and more like a loser and then go even darker? 

Therapy is cheap. Most insurance covers it. If nothing else send me a post and I will do all I can to help!

Thanks for reading and FYI: Just in case any one send me a post today please know I am on vacation next week and I won't be checking the board until the 17th :)  

Take care guys and all my love and prayers. JD: May God truly be with you and your mates and their families!

SemperFi

BobbyO190 said:
</p>
<p>Mental health is so important and so hard to track.
</p>
<p>That's BS... it's all in your head Bobby! ;)</p>
<p>[[{"fid":"37166","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default"},"type":"media","link_text":null,"attributes":{"alt":"Quiet Riot - Bang Your Head (Metal Health)","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In my personal experience professional mental health care does more damage than it does good. Especially in the VA system! I am not saying it doesn't have a place or has not helped some people. It simply cannot fill the void in a service member...... the lost Brotherhood caused by military separation.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>SEMPER FI</p>

ESmetalhead

[[{"fid":"37168","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default"},"type":"media","attributes":{"alt":"Johnny Cash - Drive On","class":"media-element file-default"},"link_text":null}]]Godamn it sorry JD!  Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problem.  As the Johnny Cash song say.. Drive on.  

Right on Bobby but dont just settle on one that will listen.   Seek out a good one, they are out there and can give you insight and understanding sometimes it makes all the difference in the world

BobbyO190

I can't debate that issue. I never served in the military so to have an opinion would be foolish.

Mental health professionals can cause more harm that good and that's sad because it discourages treatment.  I have seen folks get addicted to the process and the therapist gets all excited and a god complex and things go all higgledy piggledy BUT in most cases I believe in therapy!   I have helped too many people over the decades to not! And I am NOT an professional, just an amateur.  But I am a talented salesman so that probably helps....

Grandmother was committed to an asylum. Nephew is a paranoid schizophrenic. There are real illnesses out there that need treatment. Most though just need to be heard. One of the great psychiatrist famously said....99% of all people I meet do NOT need psychotherapy, the just need a mourners bench (a confessional tool used in conversion to Christ in the days of tent revivals and the old circuit riders at the time of the "Great Awakening").   In other words, they just need to unburden themselves. Thus yes it is all in their heads and yes the VA would be a poor solution. BUT doing nothing may be worse.  

IDK, but good discussion. Thanks.