Tibialis anterior

blastthru23

I had to switch gyms recently, and the one i now frequent does not have a tibialis machine thing (dont know what to call it). Anyhow, im trying to figure out how to train the muscle. Any pointers?

SemperFi

It is a antagonistic muscle of the calf muscle so reverse the process of a calf raise.

Using a smith machine load some plates, postion yourself under the bar like a squat, standing on a 45lb plate with your heels on the plate toes on ground, and lift toes as high as you can.

Here is Dr. Jim's thoughts about it - Smart man!

[[{"fid":"35191","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default"},"type":"media","attributes":{"alt":"Jim Stoppani Tips - Tibialis Anterior","class":"media-element file-default"},"link_text":null}]]

SEMPER FI

Dolf

I use a cable crossover machine or cable tower as some call it. I lower it down as low as it will go, put a plate on the floor, sit on my ass, and start with my toe pointed then pulling my toe up towards my body. If your gym has an ankle strap that the females like to use for kickbacks it works really well. If not just use the regular D handle.

blastthru23

I was trying to use a dumb bell at work today but i couldnt stabilze it, thing kept going this way and that. The vid has some great suggestions. If the gym is crowded ill give the kettlebell a go, if not ill do like D stated below (and jim too) and use the cables. Thanks (im sure i couldve done the research myself, call me lazy :p)

SemperFi

Our resident Mod is always looking to be spoon fed. I bet you guilt your daughter into spoon feeding you her ice cream! ;)

SEMPER FI

strong

Sorry Blast,, Another hijack.... Ram will be back Monday... Lets not kill Blasts thread but Fuck yea...

SemperFi

I no longer have a bucket list but my fucket list is a mile long. ;) Wife sent that to me today..... What a great laugh.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

On the search for an effective tibialis raise to get the same pump and range of motion as the tiablis raise machine, I came up with this set up. It worked great, and with the same result as the machine. Once I got the hang of keeping the bar steady, I was able to rep out pretty well. I may need to add some sort of foam to the bar as the weight begins to bite a little causing some discomfort when I increased the weight to 60 lbs. I'll probably get some foam pipe insulation and cut it to fit.

Start with two platforms as shown. I used the tallest and the shortest ones

[[{"fid":"35490","view_mode":"wysiwyg","fields":{"format":"wysiwyg","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","link_text":null,"attributes":{"height":"280","width":"280","class":"media-element file-wysiwyg"}}]]

Sitting on the tall platform, set the heels of your feet at the edge of the short platform. Using the cambered part, set the bar at the joint between toes and instep as shown below.You will need to flex you toes a bit to keep the bar in place while flexing the tibialis anterior. I was able to get a full ROM using this set up. Give it a try and let me know how you like it.

t[[{"fid":"35491","view_mode":"wysiwyg","fields":{"format":"wysiwyg","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","link_text":null,"attributes":{"height":"280","width":"280","class":"media-element file-wysiwyg"}}]]