Tropical Storm Harvey

SemperFi

hey ya'll,

Keep some of our members in your thoughts. I know of at least two that got hit by the brunt of the storm. They'll be ok but the life disruption can be stressful.

SEMPER FI

dixona1986

The images from the storm are devastating. I hope that they remain safe, and that they try to stay strong through this difficult time. 

Mleblanc

I feel for the ones displaced or flooded out.  I been trapped in houston at the hotel since saturday.  And not seeing going home anytime soon.  We are fine and dry.  But my heart and prayers go out to the people hit by Harvey,  I havent roamed out far, but some of the flooding Ive seen is nuts!  Again thoughts and prayers goes out to all, and wish you get back home in gods speed!

bigjerseyd

Is anybody aware of any reputable charities to donate to the disaster relief? Or just stick with the good old red cross?

blastthru23

I heard on the news that to just donate to the red cross. Some assholes create so-called non-profits only to keep the money. If you go with a charity organization that is not the red cross, research with due diligence first looking at how long they have been in existence. New orgs are likely scams.

jasonking92

From the UK to our fellow brothers and sisters in the USA. You have our thoughts sympathy's and prayers. My heart goes out to all affected by this terrible storm.

Mleblanc

Yes guys we still stuck in Houston,  almost all is normal here, but cant get back to beaumont, must less Lafayette, LA.  So they keeping us at the hotel here.  Its so sad to see the homes guys im with have lost.  All i lost is a little bit of time. These poor guys lost all they own!  And they stuck here, so its heavy on them because there nothing they can do for their families.  Thsts guys for tbe well wishes and prayers, definitely means alot!  I already nominated one guy here for a company program, that donates some money to them. It wont give their home back but at least they will be able to eat !  Again thanks guys Ill update more, as I here it.

Ps assholes here are knocking on doors saying emergency evac, then rob the poor people.  Sometimes people just cant act as caring humans !

blastthru23

Same shit happened here after a devastating forest fire. People going from burned up home to the next looting the last valuable scraps left. Humanity is a mess.

Im happy to hear you are doing well :) (hope theres a gym in that hotel!)

milkin

Yeah it sucks when you get people trying to benefit off of a desaster like this, shit happens all the time. It's a shame you have low life two faced dirt bag out there who do such shit.

It's also hard to for some to decide on a charity. There are many charities that have high admin fees and a large portion of your donation goes right to that instead of the cause. Personally I think Red Cross is one of the best. In my area to there a few local charities that are collecting items that are going to be driven over which is always nice to see.

Dolf

If you go to Walmart.com and donate to the Redcross Walmart will match you $2 for every $1 you donate. Just $5 or $10 per person will have a tremendous impact.

SemperFi

On it right now! I also gave some cash to a family member to donate to a major railroads friend-to-friend network. I would hope if me or my family were in need I could count on the generous nature of my neighbors.

SEMPER FI

ESmetalhead

Walmarts matching limit was met.  They are giving 20 million, lets see Amazon step up.

My Aunt lives in Houston and has been staying with neighbors and now at a hotel.  Insurance and FEMA will be looking at her place in few days to assess