What Ive learned, the hard way.

ESmetalhead

I would like to put this in the training forum to keep people from needing to in the injury forum.

Something I can contribute to the MG is what I have I have learned over the last 6 months from this damn shoulder injury is how valuable, complex and abused this joint is.   I’m no writer, my grammar and spelling is terrible and there are much much better resources online on this subject.   But perhaps the value in doing this is to remind everyone to think about posture, function and protecting this ball and socket.   I wish I would have thought about this when my body told me, by way of minor aching pain when doing bent over rows.   The doctor was no help I guess he didn’t  know much about exercise.   I stopped doing rows and bench press for years then the last two years I was able to do bench but not rows without lasting pain.   I was making some good gains and was injury/ ache free a rare thing as I have had tendinitis in both elbows for far too long.  So the problem was shoulder impingement that somehow became frozen shoulder.  This came about from my poor posture, rounded shoulders and not listening or understanding my body.  The ache in the back of my shoulders was telling me something was wrong but it was mild and I thought I could work around it. 

The problem was shoulder impingement this is caused by grounding and rolling your shoulders forward stead of pulling them back.  Stand as you normally do in front of a mirror with your arms to your side, do you see the back of your hand or is your thumb forward?  With proper posture your thumb to be forward in your palms to your side.   Our most basic exercise movements for for our shoulders forward benchpress and even lat pull downs.  At the same time same time we ignore out posterior deltoids and our traps specially lower traps.  Are tons of great videos to show you guys how to make all these neglected muscles stronger shoulders optimal position, keeping them healthy and strong.   Something I have come up with and feel is very useful for reminding me to correct my posture is have someone put KT tape across your back over your shoulder blades.  This serves as a sensory reminder keep your shoulders back it works great for me I do it almost daily.    Tucking in your scapula is very important for doing benchpress in fact all the exercise I do I try to keep my shoulders back as much as possible.  

So look at your own posture, investigate exercise to correct it, dont neglect your posterior delts and traps and try my KT tape idea

Cheers! 

SemperFi

ES,

+2

Thanks for sharing your personal experience and the recommendations. Great to see new members digging in and sharing their experience.

I am a firm believer our gains are measured by how much we are willing to give away for the benefit of others and I am grateful for your participation.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

+2 brotha...my brother has had 3 shoulder surgeries, and constantly tells me if it doesn't feel right; stop! Incline bb and bb shoulder press sre both horrible for the shoulders. Smith machines are probably the worst. Our shoulder joint is not designed to move in a single plain.

M

Mister A

ES, thank you for your contribution. You write very well. I would rather read something written from the heart than some sterile text written by someone with no first hand knowledge of the subject they're writing about. Your experience is invaluable. When you can take a batch of lemons life gives you and serve lemonade to others, we begin to realize that nothing bad ever happens. Everything is useful once we choose to discover its purpose.

Scapula retraction and scapula depression, rolling the shoulders back and down, has been the key to unlocking major gains in every upper body muscle group for me over the last two years.

ESmetalhead

Thanks Mister A! I'm glad what i have is temporary and look forward to putting my new knowledge to use. Shoulders are my favorite group to work, it wont be long.

ESmetalhead

OH!! this might be the best $40 ive ever spent.   Zyllion massage pillow everyone that I have let try it has bought one.