How Did You First Get Introduced To The Gym?

Maniac1130

Background: I was in 6th and that one kid who always had 6-pack abs got a weight bench for Xmas. I thought to myself "a weight bench, what the heck is that?". So the following year I asked for a weight bench for Xmas. Funny thing was, this weight bench sat in my room for a few years collecting dust because I had no idea what to do with it.

9th grade year my uncle decided he was going to get into bodybuilding with his friend and he built a home gym in his basement. This was the coolest gym I had ever seen. He had everything. Full dumbbell weight rack up to 100lb DBs. A power rack, a few movable benches. That one bench that always seems to be in the decline position. He also had this 3-station system where you could do flys, Lat pulldowns, rows and a few other exercises. He also had a leg press that reversed into a hack squat. Oh and he had tons of olympic weights and olympic bars. Rubber matts on the floors and mirrors, two tredmills (one for him and his wife) and a few stationary bikes. He also had some medicine balls, some ab workout gear. This gym had the works. It was heaven-on-earth. So I asked him to show me how to workout. I think he first showed me a full body work out where I hit 1 muscle group each with a different exercise and we stored all the stats on index cards. Of course, he always had that Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding (the one with the yellow-ish cover) open on the table in the weight room. I was hooked ever since.

How did you guys first get introduce to the gym?

Maniac1130

I remember I had issues with weight. Had to lose it somehow
Same here HGH! That was my original motivation for wanting to work out. It wasn't until after high school that I realized that weight loss is like 80% diet 10% cardio and 10% gym time haha

Welderman

I woke up, put on my size 40 jeans, went to put my boots on and thought someone had stolen my feet in my sleep. LoL. Yep a complete fat ass I was. Started walking 5 miles a day, passed right by 10 Fitness gym. It was turning off too cold to walk outside. Got a membership and been lifting ever since. And thank God I can see my feet again and other body parts. LoL. And now I can honestly say that I love this lifestyle

Maniac1130

I woke up, put on my size 40 jeans, went to put my boots on and thought someone had stolen my feet in my sleep. LoL. Yep a complete fat ass I was. Started walking 5 miles a day, passed right by 10 Fitness gym. It was turning off too cold to walk outside. Got a membership and been lifting ever since. And thank God I can see my feet again and other body parts. LoL. And now I can honestly say that I love this lifestyle
That's great man! Glad you're into it. This lifestyle is the way to go for sure!

BiggyBill

An older friend of mine took me to gym. Now he’s always saying that I should thank him for as long as we’re alive, lol
He’s kind of right, lol

Maniac1130

do you still use you uncle's home made gym?
always been dreaming about having a gym at home. But that's not going to be as fun as going to gym with my bros
I don't anymore. I have been begging him to sell me his equipment so I can have it at my house but he tells me no. I think I would be the same way if I was him. There's always that chance he will get back into body building.

For sure not the same but at the same time you could always have your boys come to your house and get your swell on at home. There's nothing like a good home gym man. It's definitely my dream, too. Some day I will build one like his. I started looking into doing it last year when then pandemic hit but the prices were absolutely ridiculous for equipment!

HGH.to

Same here HGH! That was my original motivation for wanting to work out. It wasn't until after high school that I realized that weight loss is like 80% diet 10% cardio and 10% gym time haha
by cardio you mean lifting weights faster? lol

JSom

I had a lot of free time and started having health problems due to a sedentary lifestyle. I went to the gym, started with light loads. And now it's my drug - I can't imagine my life without training.

Maniac1130

I had a lot of free time and started having health problems due to a sedentary lifestyle. I went to the gym, started with light loads. And now it's my drug - I can't imagine my life without training.
It's definitely a high. I remember when I was younger, I actually went home on lunch (I had an olympic weight bench in my room when I was in high school with olympic weights and some dumbbells) and got a nice workout in. I was late coming back to school but man was I pumped. That's when I knew I was addicted to working out.

MONSTRO

I begin working on my mother house with weight made of concret , no money to go gym and natural i look like this . I begin because im the smallest of my class and want to get huge and freak

Attachments

• 152947666_2786387048292733_7943954104537941026_n.jpg
    152947666_2786387048292733_7943954104537941026_n.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 9