Nutrition help for the second best amateur fighter in the nation

HulkSmashShan

Ok MG family my nephew is 19 years old. He is the number two amateur boxer in the nation at 185lbs. He is going to the Olympic trials in August. He asked me to help him put together a nutrition plan. He is crashing in the gym, having bad sleep problems. I do not wish to add weight to him nor lose weight. I need to maximize his energy levels and get the very best out of his physical being for training. Here is what I came up with please help me and add your two cents in with corrections to my plan as well as adding and editing my plan.
1. Drink only water or bang. No sugar drinks period.
2. Eat better carbs. I.e. sweet potatoes over white potatoes. Try and stay away from too much starch that's converted to sugar.
3. Get your protein in. Oh course. But in the correct portions. ( This is the part that I need help with the most.) Portions are something that is beyond me as well as how often to eat through the day.
4. Probably worth noting this kid is working mowing and weed eating during the day in the Oklahoma heat.
Please help me out guys. Thank you so much

HulkSmashShan

IKR. He lives in Sallisaw Oklahoma. He has a meal prep guy who is more than willing to make the meals and portions for him but I talked to my nephew last night and it would floor you to know that he knew absolute nothing when it came to protein, carbs and portions. Unbelievable

HulkSmashShan

He’s insomniac?
I don't really think so. It's so hard to tell with kids with their hormones still changing and everything. I think he is definitely protein deficient IMO. I know he isn't getting his g / lb. And his carbs aren't clean. His sugar intake is out of wack. I'm going to get him lined out just thought you guys may have some carb to protein ratios that may help. I know what good carbs are and the bad ones. I've researched that wheat turns to gluten which then suppresses test. Any opinions on that? I've done some hours of research just for myself on all of this and there are so me great posts here on the forum for good muscle gain but I'm not really trying to put weight on the kid he is jacked and lean so I'm just trying to get his energy up and maximize his potential through diet.

HulkSmashShan

The huge sugar intake may be the answer. It could easily lead to hormonal imbalances, insomnia, low energy levels etc.
I agree. We knocked that sugar down and got the carbs up with high protein of course and cut the white starch potatoes to sweet potatoes along with eggs and oats over cereal implemented an extra protein shake and of course tuna and chicken every day