50 years old training advice.

Bigguysota

Hello,

I'm 50 years old and I have been away from serious lifting for about 2 years. I started back up about 3 months ago. My diet is "almost" perfect and I am getting strong again. I use to be a power lifter but now I want the look of a bodybuilder/power lifter.  I am taking 900 mil of test C per week and i am seeking a good workout routine to pack on a lot of muscle.

Could you guys give me some sample volume workout routines to really pack on some serious muscle size?

Thank you!

BobbyO190

There are some great web sites and youtube pages for this....I strongly advise watching them now and then for new ideas and new motivation.

Best advice I can give is change up your routine regularly.

By basic routine right now:  M-W-F   Chest, Biceps and Shoulders.

Start with normal corkscrew curls (Three sets of 12) 

Then I go to a cable machine and do three sets of 12 rotating between each of low, middle and high cable pulls (Face away from machine and drag cable across your body)  this works each pectoral muscle separately.

Then Hammer curl rotated with Shoulder shrugs

Then machine bench press rotated with military press.

Finish with crossbody curls rotated with roman chair leg lifts (100 total)

Finish with 150 sit ups (vary style every day)

T-Th-Sat  Is tricep and back.....This has been long enough but you get the idea.

Good luck, hope this was some help and be aware there are many super smart people who think my routine is lower quality. Here is all I  know to be true PICK ONE AND DO IT!  that is the only great routine....doing one!  Have fun bro and welcome to 50+

SemperFi

As a former powerlifter than you understand the importance of compound excercises to building systemic strength. The same principal can be applied to building muscle 'initially'. I personally would focus on compound movements and limiting isolation excercises.

Chasing the pump is great but to gain muscle we need to understand the concept of progressive overload.

Here is a great 4 day a week training routine that incorporates compound movements combined with the concepts around progressive overload. Give it a shot for 6-10 weeks. Take a before and after photo to see your results.

https://anabolicdevelopment.com/winter-10-week-lean-bulk-mass-building-program-grow-with-the-snow/

SEMPER FI

Bigguysota

Thanks for the advice and routines. These are similar to what I am doing now and have given me ideas on how to improve. I'm guessing that a powerful workout and resting to allow the muscles to grow is a key point. 

One workout is 6 days per week and the other is 4 days per week. I will experiment with both and keep changing it up.

Bobby; when do you fit in legs? 

SemperFi

Bigguysota said:
</p><p>and keep changing it up.</p><p>
</p><p>Don't 'change it up' too often. Progress and measurable results take time... you know the drill bro so go kill it!</p><p> </p><p> </p>

BobbyO190

When I did legs I did front (Quads) on bicep day and hamstrings and calfs on tricep days. BUT to be honest I can't do legs anymore....other than cardio. My ass and lower back can't take it, I hate to ever give up but I truly can't do the pain caused from the workout anymore.   So I do cardio and use the old joke "I don't walk on my hands"  and accept the shortage.    FYI: I often can't do anything more than  bike and yoga for cardio sadly.