99/1 Turkey

Dolf

When bulking and eating the massive amounts of food most of us consume to grow we need every advantage we can get. The advantage here is 99/1 turkey vs chicken breast. 

Chicken breast is 36g of protein per 6oz serving, and 99/1 turkey is 42g of protein per 6oz serving. That's 6g of additional  protein per serving. Just 3 servings per day would add 18g of protein per day and 126g of protein per week. 99/1 turkey is also lower in fat, and the total calories is even. 194 total calories for chicken and 195 calories for turkey. 

The way I prep my turkey is stick it in the freezer until it just begins to firm. This keeps it from sticking to your hands when prepping. I weigh it out to 6oz patties, and pat them out to a patty. I brush them with olive oil and season with a low sodium seasoning. Then I bake them at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes. 

siegmund

Ahhhhhhhh,

And i hate turkey. , prision killed me., turkey bacon, turkey burger , turkey hotdogs , turkey fucking everything ..

It was a religious thing. Muslim,  so everything on menu was turkey ..but let me try to choke some down ..

My diet now is chicken. And more chicken. , very very little carbs.  AHHH , maybe thats why im feeling fucking drained all the time.  I use to eat rice and beans 4 times a day , and every meal.more rice.  ...

I really havnt been hitting it and i basicly been down to a cruise for weeks. , and every one saying im getting more ripped.  

Theres my answer im consuming extremely high protein ..with low carb intake.  

Thanks dolpf i know i got off topic a bit but it took the topic to realize why im feeling , drained.   

Dolf

I know your pain. My dad grew up on a farm, and they were poor. He said they ate chicken ed. He got sick of chicken, and in my 41 years I've never seen my pops eat chicken. 

MWard77

When talking about breast meat that is fried or boiled, turkey has almost half the calories of chicken. Additionally, it has about a ninth of the fat calories. Therefore, if you're a person who really can't give up the fried foods, you're going to want to head for the turkey instead of the chicken to save what you can on the calories and fat. Despite this, you'll also be losing out on the protein. If what you're seeking is a high protein diet, you should go with the chicken. As prepared discussed on the above point, you'll get almost twice as much protein with the chicken than with the turkey. (See NutritionData for more comparisons like these.) If you're a liver eater, you might want to know that chicken liver also has half the calories of turkey liver. It's also got less than a third of the fat. According to one study there is more fat in the neck of a chicken than in the neck of a turkey. In summary, chicken tends to be higher in fat and calories but is also higher in protein as long as what you're eating is the meat and not the organs or the neck. But of course it depends on how you prepare your food (if you like fried chicken and grilled turkey, then the numbers are going to differ greatly). The differences between the two are not significant enough to make a major impact upon your diet if white meat is only a small part of your overall caloric intake.

hubpages.com/food/Turkey_vs_Chicken_Which_is_Healthier

M

Mister A

nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/699/

wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&productId=352235

Not sure where you're getting the nutrition data from, but the chicken breast I use provides 28 grams of protein per 3 ounce serving (56 grams per 6 ounces). I've used about half a dozen sources to measure this and have found that 6oz = 50g of protein is about the median guess. I tend to trust the actual label provided on the food before anything else, so maybe you're getting it from there. I would say 36g per 6oz serving is a little low. That's almost where my chicken thighs are at.

Dolf

Not really sure about hubpages because I've never heard of that site before, but their comparison is between chicken breast and turkey breast. My comparison is between 99/1 extra lean ground turkey myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/generic-ground-turkey-extra-lean-99-fat-free-from-breast-meat-raw-195331593

and bonless skinless chicken breast

myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/usda-6-oz-chicken-breast-boneless-and-skinless-frozen-373172559?v2=false

Both are figured at raw meat weights. The 99/1 turkey is a 4oz portion, so you'd have to divide the macros by 2 and add that to the 4oz total for a 6oz portion.

As far as fried foods go I don't eat anything fried anymore. It was a hard habit to kick though.

Dolf

You're looking at cooked chicken breast compared to raw turkey. Raw vs raw it's 36g protein chicken breast to 42g protein 99/1 extra lean raw ground turkey. Ground turkey comes in 93/7, 85/15, and other lean to fat ratios. What I use is the 99/1 (99% fat free) ground turkey. 

myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/usda-6-oz-chicken-breast-boneless-and-skinless-frozen-373172559?v2=false 

myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/generic-ground-turkey-extra-lean-99-fat-free-from-breast-meat-raw-195331593

M

Mister A

When calculating my macros, I have always used the cooked data. 

MWard77

Right on, unless you prefer raw chicken or turkey, which is rare in my opinion, but I have seen/heard weirder things lol

Dolf

Yep...comparing cooked macros to raw macros is apples and oranges. Comparing them raw vs raw or cooked vs cooked the 99/1 ground turkey is superior. More protein, less fat, and more amino's. Chicken breast gets old, so I'm always looking for a change up. I don't care for fish very much, so 99/1 ground turkey is a good change up. 

blastthru23

I like using ground meats in general mostly for the ease of cooking it. Do u get your ground turkey from the butcher department or prepackaged stuff? I'd like to go out and shoot a wild turkey but something is wrong with the trigger on my .22... time to get it fixed i suppose (cost of getting it fixed is almost the cost of a usrd .22 rifle)

Dolf

I get mine from the butcher. It's $3.97 a pound, and working 12hr days I don't have time to hunt or fish anymore. When I retire at 60 that'll be a different story then. 

M

Mister A

You describe my dream right there brother. That's a good price. I get the 93/7 turkey for 3.99 a pound. Best I can find.

Can't wait to have every ounce of food I eat come from my own efforts and my own land. I think that's the dream for a lot of us.

Dolf

Yea bro my next house will be custom built on a few acres outside of city limits. That's when I'll be able to sit on my porch in my drawers and shoot at bumblebees with my pistol while I drink coffee in the morning watching the sun come up. Lol

SemperFi

Take your occupational disability at 20 years and receive 30 years of credit. ;)

Could be  living your dream sooner than you realize. 

SEMPER FI

Dolf

It's a huge cut in the difference between what my pension would be at 30 years of service vs 20 years and disability. Plus if I do 30 and retire my wife gets 50% of what i get, so if my pension is $6000.00 per month she'll get a check for $3000.00 bringing our total take home to 9000.00 per month. 

SemperFi

I would check into it because with an occupational you get your 30 year credits without a cut in benefits and neither does your spouse. If you want to work an extra 10 years for nothing more than your monthly pay go for it. Of course, assuming your income will increase, your retirement will increase slightly if you continue working.

My brother-in-law is 48 and just took an occupational from a class 1. He had 20 years and 3 months. He receives his full 30 years retirement. His spouse draws full benefits at 60.

Unless I am misinformed I also believe if you have a dependent child under the age of 18 living with you the retirement age for your spouse is waived and she can draw upon your retirement.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

3.97 is damn good, always hunting for cheap meat. Found that chinese grocers are good for it if u can survive the stench of the place. Got chicken breasts at 2.99 the other day. Just gotta eat it within a day or two, or freeze it. Founf a mexican grocer that has ground chicken for 1.99. Gotta remember to bring a cooler full of ice.