Alcohol

ramdisck

9 years ago this week I completely cut alcohol out of my diet.  Was the best thing I've done for my body and mind.  I've a very addictive personality and while i didn't want to keep drinking I also didn't want to quit. 

After a few years living a whole new lifestyle i got back in the gym. One thing led to another,  ran a few miles, swam a little, bought a bike, did an Ironman.  I spent hours putting in empty calories into my body and didn't gain a thing.  Once i realized that diet WITH exercise was the key I started to gain.  I've put on 40 pounds in 4 years and never felt better.  Something I wouldn't have dreamt of before.

I assume that most guys here, especially anyone using aas has cut or limited alcohol, but I also assume most of us have a tendency to overdue a good thing.  Take it from a guy who didn't know a world without it 9 years ago. 

Substituting water for alcohol has been the BIGGEST change in my body.  I'll never go back.

JARHEAD2

Awesome testimony Ram... There is a few of us who are still falling off the wagon more than we're staying on, since I'm a preacher I assume you know it's not me lol, but this is a good reminder! Not only is over consumption of alcohol detremantal to our physical bodies but also our mind. A lot of what we do takes power of the mind & if our mind ain't right we're not able to give it our all. It's all about our priorities & what we want the most out this life. Water & a love for ourselves ( not conciet) will be crucial in helping us overcome our weaknesses. Whither its alcohol, pain meds or even nutty bars! +1 brother!!

Outlawthing

i got an addictive personality too my friend. I won't let myself drink or do any recreational drugs :) haha step aas  I have no moderation with things my wife is my built in buffer she will let me know when I'm gettin ooc 

M

Mister A

Even though Ive managed to get to a point where I can have the occassional drink, I really lack the desire to do so. The second your body recognizes alcohol in your system it stops utilizing nutrients for growth and instead stores your food as fat while it puts its focus on filtering out the alcohol. Your body does not want to be drunk. It wants homeostasis and it has to work hard to process the alcohol. As my wrestling coach said "You can either wrestle or digest food, but not both." You can either build muscle or process alcohol, but not both.

JARHEAD2

Along with plenty others here, I'm no different. Before my preaching days, I was an alcoholic & drug addict. It started with some pain pills for my back & next thing I know I'm snorting them & Adding some cocaine in the mix. Then I took the whole addiction to the extreme & added other things in the mix. I knew my limitations but exceeded them purposely. I was close to losing my wife & two sons to a selfish decision. We often know the wages of our wrong but continue until sometimes it is too late. Thank goodness that if you're able to read this, it's not too late!!

F

Frankie-knuckels

we all seem to be birds of a feather up in here no wonder we get along so well..

But let me tell that since Saturday Night Frankie has been in check I feel so much better..... Although I at times might throw back some glasses now and then I pretty much don't feel the need too as I did before and when I do I hate the way I feel in the morning all sluggish and shit not good at all .. So I guess slowly but surely it's all becoming an after thought.

turnupthegas

As we say here in Boston....Sobahh, its an accent thing hate it or love it lol.

Anyway same deal here, I actually read an article that stated AAS was the most used substance for people in recovery, so its not odd we have similar stories. It started with turning my life around and eating right and exercising for years then the old traits creep in and I wanted the next best thing, so I always try to stay aware of where i've come from and where i'm heading because its a cunning and baffling enemy the addiction thing. It'll grab you when you least expect it. Jarr and Csancheezy can relate and many more i would assume, but GOD saved my ass. I always thought it was willpower or inner strength but when i tell you I could right a book and you wouldn't be able to put it down, I mean that shit. I should be dead 10 fold hands down and after a decade and a half of struggle and just misery and turmoil there is no doubt there is something bigger at play here. Call it God, buddha, spririt of the universe whatever you wish, but for this guy, I am powerless over that shit so someone or something picked me up out of the ashes time and time again.....Sorry for the rant, but I'm grateful for where i'm at today. Man MG kicks ass! Love it here

strong

Frankie, I had mentioned that to you when you joined. Pretty soon you wont want to put anything bad in your body. We're spending $ and working our ass off to look good and feel good. It sounds like fun to go out and drink. Its just not worth it. When you finish your first cycle and reflect back, You are going to say. " what could I have done Better"  What we are all doing here becomes a way of life. Not an addiction. I go out once a week with my girl. 2 to 4 beers and that's it. I will continue this in winter. When I'm hitting it hard I will have 2 vodkas and that's it. WAY OF LIFE brother.. You are just going to do better.. This place is the first support system ive had in 45 years.. Semper, Swolesam,  Jddaniels.. 3 of the newest members in my head are already friends.. Everyone of them has already pm'd me with support. Its unbelievable.. Frankie, you are just starting. This will all lead to positive.

strong

+1 turnupthegas. I too wonder, How am I alive??  Weed, coke, pcp, acid,shrooms whatever I could get my hands on.  Brother, if I may? You picked yourself up and got yourself out of the ashes because you are strong. The spirits, universe, God, Whoever are only looking over you.. You control your actions bro... You did that !!!!!!!!!!

SemperFi

I relate to almost every post and it seems we have each walked some of the same road. I also have an addictive personality and have crossed paths with Jack Daniels more than I can count on an ugly night. He always got the best of me.

Fortunately for me I had a very serious illness that woke me up and with the support of my wife I was able to get free of alcohol... I will not say I will not ever drink again but I can say "Not Today"... I will have the opportunity to repeat that choice tomorrow.

Great accomplish Ram. I am glad you invested in that choice for you.

STAY STRONG and ALWAYS SEMPER FI

turnupthegas

Thanks brotha and you are correct It doesn't just happen. The will to change and the action taken is definitely by the individual. Its been a journey thats for damn sure. I was also the same way, started with the booze and weed at a youg age and the acid and shrooms, then percs and the lovely dreadful late 90's with exstacy and then oxy 80's. Then it all became to expensive and like GNR sang best "I've been dancing with mr brownstone" The rest was history from that point. I'm not proud to say it, but maybe it'll help someone reading. I was told the first time I tried the shit...."prepare to never put it down" That is statistically the case but I refused to be statistic. Lost my cousin at 26 from an overdose and my best friend at 28 from the same shit!! Its a god damn epidemic in this country. Sorry to get off topic everyone and if my talk of illecit drugs offends you sorry, just sharing my experience strength and hope. Its been a struggle and like it was mentioned, "not sure if i'll never go back, but for today I won't" WhenI treat each day that way, the days add to weeks, weeks to months and months to years!!! I keep that upfront before everything, before training, eating healthy, my job etc....because without that, all that is good vanishes with the quickness. Thanks to all for the kind words and keep fighting the good fight. Like Niel young said in a recent interview on Howard Stern. "I've seen so many perish from heroin addiction and very few prosper, in fact I can count it on one hand. My personal opinion is it takes a strong motherfucker to come back and overcome such a deadly disease" This shit rings so true to me, its a fucking batle so my hats off to all of you on this side of the fence. Give yourself a pat on the back because you too are strong MF'ers!

Titanings

drinking and smoking weed as a kid, cocaine for my birthday when I was 12.....list goes on and on. I have a very addictive personality as well and its something I always have to step back and keep in check and make sure I don't let it get out of hand even when it comes to daily stuff. Good thing is now I don't do any of it except for have a drink on rare occasion. I agree completely though that once you really start watching what you put in your body, you just look at alcohol and go whats the point? But lord knows there was many hard lessons along the way that helped convince me to keep away from all the crap.

Another interesting fact was finding out that alcohol is horrendous on your body and does just about the exact opposite of diet and exercise. Which really helps me to avoid it especially when on cycle.

Nice to see so many with similar issues. I never got to much into painkillers or harder shit ( well what i call harder shit) but I spent about 15 years of my life drinking, never on cycle and I'd quit occasionally after something shitty would happen but usually I'd be back at it a few months later. At this point I plan on being completely done with it though, its a waste of time, money and makes ya "skinny fat", less muscle more gut. Alcohol has been a hard thing for me, I started at about 16 but really got going around 19 and just never let up really. Those first few years were awesome and then slowly but surely less good and more bad until it was pretty much pointless but i kept wanting it. I was pretty good at being the "functioning alcoholic" but it just makes everything harder. Sure you can float through life drunk but are you really living up to your potential? I'd say no.

Drug disclaimer: My next couple paragraphs are about drugs, if your offended, sorry.

Someone mentioned shrooms, yup i love shrooms. lsd is even better but I only did that once... but wow, honestly I'm pretty sure psychedelics are the cure to depression and PTSD issues, even the VA is starting to go that route to treat it. The thing about psychedelics is they force you to look at your life from another perspective, its like a brain reset but you have to be strong, people kill themselves on that shit, usually lsa, which is an offshoot of lsd. I've lost a few friends that way. Not condoning but just gotta say it to say it...Best thing to do is turn your phone off, grab a notebook and draw or write out all your thoughts (you will have many), its pretty amazing how many different directions your mind will go and how quickly it will go there on lsd. It was terrifying but then I peaked and i saw my life differently. I saw how my daughters mom was manipulating me and in the next few days she realized i caught onto her bullshit, it was amazing. I guess I shouldn't condone lsd but i'm just saying I honestly think micro dosing certain things can help a lot, not alcohol though, alcohol and coke, meth, heroin all that shit useless in my opinion, i guess painkillers are good for...killing pain but I try to use them as little as possible if i have a surgery or something. As far as psychedelics, I kind of think of them like the Indians did, if your not sure of the path you should take next in life, trip. But again, this was suppose to be a thread against doing drugs and alcohol...just saying and some people can't handle that shit and kill themselves, which is shitty, dont do that brah.

Ummm weed just gives me panic attacks in all honesty, coke pretty much the same, did it lots of both in high school but neither are really my thing. Right now my only thing is AAS because honestly im not even ganna mess with psychedelics on cycle, fall is my favorite season to do it but last time I tripped im pretty sure my heart pounded for like 3 hours straight and aas is already risky on the heart situation so thats a no go right now, although i took way way to much last time i tripped. Right now I'm trying to keep perfecting my diet and finish out this cycle strong, sucks i think drinking so long fucked up my metabolism n shit. Going on about 5 months without any booze right now, which is pretty amazing for me actually, I feel a lot more clear headed, started this cycle about 10 weeks ago, probably going to 16 weeks at this point. Liver enzymes were all good before i started cycle.

Anyway that's my rant on alcohol and drugs, sorry its long i like to write apparently, good job staying away from it OP, thats awesome, I hope i can say the same thing someday, FUCK BOOZE.

Last edited: