Bodyweight Exercises For Epic Gains

G

I'm inspired to write this article after starting my second week of a powerlifting routine. I have almost exclusively trained in a bodybuilding style after high school and have decided to spend my time off cycle running a 6 week routine to improve my Big Three.

One of the accessory movements is weighted pull ups.

I used to pride myself in being able to do 4 sets of 10 strict form pull ups. At 200 pounds this was generally fun. As I started getting heavier I moved away from pull ups unless I was doing the assisted machine to get good quality reps. I figured that heavy lat pulldowns was a good substitute.

Until the time came for that first set of pull downs and I realized: they want me to do these with weight strapped around me??? I could barely get to ten reps without any added weight.

It's been a few workouts since that first one and the muscle memory that's been restored thus far has allowed me to do 6 good reps with a ten pound plate strapped around me.  I'm now eager to surpass the 4 sets of 10 and be able to do the same volume but with 25 or even 45 pounds around my waist.  I just don't see too many guys over 230ish doing weighted pull ups. Probably because they're hard as fuck. But I remember reading an article featuring Kai Greene the year he won his first Arnold. In that year he made drastic improvements to his back. It became, in one year, the best back on the planet. When asked how, after so many years of training and steroid use, was he able to make newbie-like gains to his back, he explained that the results came from doing pull ups. In classic Kai fashion, he elaborated (verbosely; I'll paraphrase) that it came from doing pull ups while focusing on developing a stronger connection with his back muscles. In time, he was able to contract his back to a greater degree by strengthening this exercise. The significance of this lies in the fact that it was a body weight exercise. By utilizing the relatively light resistance of one's self, we can train our muscles to respond to external resistance to a greater degree.

It took a powerlifting routine to remind me that the best exercises are the most simple, and sometimes don't need to involve any weight. This has led me to develop a new standard in bodybuilding strength for myself:

Wide Grip Pull Ups: 3 sets 10 reps 5 second negatives

Pushups: 3 sets 20 reps 5 second negatives

Dips: 3 sets 15 reps 5 second negatives

Wall Squats: 3 sets x 60 seconds (back against a wall, knees at 90 degree angle, sit still)

I think anybody who can complete this workout can categorize themselves as strong. It's very simple, very concise and it provides a full body workout in only 4 movements. The heavier you are, the more impressive it is to be able to do it. It's something I'm going to add to my already extensive list of fitness goals. I invite anyone to give this a shot - keep the negatives slow, explode on the concentric, don't lockout between reps (keep constant tension on the muscles) and limit time between sets to 90 seconds.  If you're used to training with weights it'll be an entirely new attack on the muscles and should provide some good soreness, and good gains.

ramdisck

This is awesome!  I love it.  at one point i was disgusted I couldn't do a muscle up.  I did pull up after pull up and never could get it.  After a while i stopped trying.  Recently i gave it a go for fun and I was able to bang out 4 or 5 in a row.  These exercises you are suggesting really work!

JARHEAD2

Great write up brother!! I do love both of these suggestions for workouts & I believe even with our regular workouts, these should be incorporated into or done at a different time of the day. When I was in the Corps, we did this every single morning 5 am + running 1 1/2-3 miles. For 3 months at bootcamp, I had no gym but made awesome gains!! 

M

Mister A

I think you can definitely throw these in with any bb style routine once or twice a week and lower the volume to one or two sets of each and itll help a lot. They make you stronger on other lifts and train more of those type 1 muscle fibers by doing the slow negatives along with type 2 on the explosive concentric portion.

Dolf

Good write up. I hadn't done pull ups since my military days. One day I watched a guy about 200lbs chain 2 plates and rip out 10 pull ups. He inspired me to do the same. I got up to a plate and a 25 and that's when my biceps tendons decided to fuck my world. I'm doing pull ups again. Guess I'll have to start chaining the weight on again. 

I have an old army buddy who now trains with a world class pl. At over 300lbs pullups are a staple of his back training. 

JARHEAD2

Yes sir I can definitely see that... It's a good staple too. When I coach middle school sports, We couldn't advise a child who had not yet hit puberty to lift weights but we did however encourage them to do pull-ups. We could tell for sure which one were doing them at home by the middle of especially wrestling season.

M

Mister A

To see someone around 300 pounds doing slow and deliberate reps on pullups. When Kai Greene does it I swear its like watching an artist paint. And whenever I see girls doing it Im always impressed. There are a lot of girls who think they lift seriously but cant do a good set of pullups. My back and my biceps are by far my best bodyparts and for years all I did for back were pullups, deadlifts and bent rows. In that order. Every week. The more advanced I get the fancier I think I have to be, but whenever I simplify things again my strength shoots up real quick and the gains come shortly after.

Outlawthing

Pull ups are one of the best back exercieses     it one of those that you don't see people doing cause they are hard as crap  they make my lats get stupid wide   I tell you body weight lunges and squats don't mess around either 

ramdisck

I like to watch the girls do just about anything at the gym.  Some days I'm surprised i don't get slapped.  It takes a lot of will power not to pinch an ass cheek some days. sorry ladies, but the struggle is real