Developing A Chest

mataboy

Should you do any type of flyes when trying to develop a bigger chest? or should you stick to presses

Raffy

Do flys at the end of your workout. I would alternate between flys, cables and the pec deck if you have one to get the best of all worlds. Dumbell flys are great for mass building. You can go heavy but you don't get as good as a squeze as with cables and the pec deck.

Do 2-3 press moves from all different angles adn then finish with inline flys/low pulley crossovers or flat flys/pec deck flys. You can do normal crossovers also a the end. It all depends where you want more development.

mataboy

so this is wat I should do
Dips- I do these first b/c I personally get the best results from them 3x 8-12
Flat Bench 3 x 8-12
Incline Bench 3 x 8-12
Incline Fly 3 x 8-12
Low cable pulley 3 x 8-12

What should my sets and reps looks like.............. and the last two flys should they be supersettes?

Raffy

Flat bench has been scientifically proven that it stimulates the most amount of muscle fibers in the chest more than any other exercise. I would start with that first being flat barbell or dumbell. The flat dumbell press has been noted as the best mass exercise for the chest. More than the barbell because with the barbell you're restricted with the movement...you're in a fixed position. With the dumbells, you get a better stretch and contraction (better range of motion and squeeze) as compared with the barbell press.

You don't need 2 isolation exercises if you are trying to build your chest....maybe for competition 4 weeks out but that's it. Just try to hit your chest from each angle to get better overall chest development. Then finish up with one fly movement. Sorry if I made that sound confusing in my last post.

Matrix

for a middle upper chest which is the hardest to develope. seated lower cable cross overs with a lift at the top. well wreck you and goes great at the end of your chest routine superset with flys one month of this you will see a dramatic increase in your upper middle pectoral

foxd80

I have a hard time getting a good pump in my chest. Unlike my arms which are screaming when I do very little bi's or tri's. What would you suggest for that. I seldom get to do the same chest workout on chest days because of the amount of people in the gym, most of them sitting on the benches watching television. I start with flat bench or incline bench and then onto dumbbell pressess and then the pec dec. I have tried as low as a minute in between sets and up to two minutes. Keep in mind that I'm just getting started back after a six or seven year layoff and I have been working seven days a week and will continue to do so for the next eight weeks.

riverdin

The best way to build your chest is with weighted dips or bench press. If you don't have access to either, push ups would be next. The key is to make sure you progress gradually and consistently with weight or reps.

Raffy

I would do a warm up set of push ups before bench if you're going to do push ups. Push ups only define my chest, not build. Once you get over a certain amount of reps, you're just going for endurance. Some people grow with other exercises so try them all out. Dips work the lower/outer pecs, flat works the middle and over all chest, and incline of course hits the upper where most people lack muscle. I'd try to hit each angle to get a good overall balanced chest.

Madison

Try the smith Barbell press from time to time. Personally, I've noticed that I get a better pump in my chest with the Smith, even though I primarily do heavy dumbbell presses. Also with the smith, you don't have to stabilize much with your arms and shoulders. Plus you can go heavier with the smith because of such. I tested this out by doing shoulder's one day, then did chest the next day. Normally I get poor results if doing my shoulders the day before on regular bench, as my shoulders and arms do a lot of the work as well. Well, I tried the smith the next day and I could still go very heavy and get a great pump. For now, I just jump on the Smith for incline, every other chest workout, to go even heavier, and tend to get a better pump with it as well.

I normally stick with dumbbell pressess for chest mass, but if you are looking for a pump, and less involvement or stress on the arms and shoulders you should try the Smith sometimes, if you haven't already. Just don't get too dependent on it.

Also, try some drop sets right after going heavy, not limited to the smith, but on any of your chest exercises, you should get a great pump them.

smart61

I would do dumbbell press: 4 sets 8-10 a rep
with Incline dumbbell press: 4 sets 8-10 a rep
with Incline flyes: These I would do a little different I would do 8-10 a rep then do 8-10 on the normal bench for 3 sets. On the Incline go till the dumbbells touch each other on the flat bench only go to the outside of your chest. This way you will put a lot of tension on the inner chest line during your incline flyes an more tension on the outer chest during the flat bench flyes. This will help overall mass because your gonna grow your outer chest an put definition on your inner chest.

Then switch it up in 4-6 weeks to barbell presses instead of the dumbbell you will be surprised to see how much stronger you have gotten.

After another 4 weeks switch your barbell flat bench press to dumbbell floor preses for 2 weeks an take a week off.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________
TO MAKE IT SIMPLE:
Week 1-6 (* superset)
Dumbbell bench press: 4 sets 8-10
Dumbbell Incline press: 4 sets 8-10
Incline flyes: 3 sets 8-10 *
Flat flyes: 3 sets 8-10 *
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Week 6-10 (* superset)
Flat bench press: 4 sets 8-10
Incline press: 4 sets 8-10
Incline flyes: 3 sets 8-10 *
Flat flyes: 3 sets 8-10 *
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Week 10-12 Note Go heavy these last two weeks everyones different take 1 to 2 weeks off from all lifting you won't believe how much growth you will get in this rest period.
Floor dumbbell press: 3-4 sets 6-8
Incline press: 3-4 sets 6-8
Incline flyes: 3 sets 6-8
Floor flyes: 3 sets 6-8