Expired gear

3rd_levelup

I swear there was a topic on this here but shit if I can find it. So how long would you say gear is saft to use after exp date. Some of the big ugl's like Kalp and Lynx and genshi date stamp their stuff. I have two old vials of cut stack that I know is kick ass but it expired in 7-14. Go or no?

milkin

As controversial as it may be, and I am hoping more brewers chime in, I am lead to beleive That the actual composition of an injectable really doesn't change over time. What I mean by this is it doesn't separate. Any sources here to support this ?

A

AnabolicPerformance

It wont separate, given it was made properly to begin with thought pushing past the expiration date is hard to advise without knowing a couple things. First when was it actually produced (not the bottle, the carrier), what carrier was used, and also length of time from production. Nothing in a bottle will actually "go bad" or anything except the carrier. All carrier oils no matter what will eventually go rancid which isnt a good thing and why the exp date should be calculated off the length of storage time of said carrier. Personally i calculate my exp date off the carriers used and then back off that so say someone has a bottle that is expired by 5 or 6 months they would still be fine but if its a year out toss it.

Uglpharma

Nothing changes over time, there could be some separation but the gear itself should be fine. The only factor I see would be the type of oil used. GSO, CSO and Safflower have a fairly long shelf life but other oils with a higher organic content such as Avacado, Hemp, etc can go rancid after a certain amount of time. I am not sure about MTC. There is a chart on carrier oil shelf lifes I saw a year or more ago, I will try and find and post.

Uglpharma

exactly, the carrier oil is the only factor but I have seen properly made gear separate if let sat for an extremely long period of time, lets say a year plus, This is mainly high mg short ester oils, All you would have to do is heat it and it most likely would be fine though.

A

AnabolicPerformance

MCT does too and if i recall correctly its roughly 2 years unopened but dont hold me to that. Only things that could store longer than 2 years is synthetic oils, which of that list there arent many suited for carrier use and access to those are extremely costly and difficult, but they do make great carriers. Rancidity is controlled by the unsaturated fats in the oil breaking down over time which is how synthetics avoid going rancid.

3rd, stuff is cheaper than an abcess from rancid oil so dont push one past expiration too much

A

AnabolicPerformance

Oh and answering the next question i feel coming, no there is not enough unsaturated fats in the carrier to matter

3rd_levelup

Yea man that's the truth. Anyone who has ever had a abscess would not go near expired juice I had a abscess tooth totally unrelated but I will tell you what that shit was no fun at all. I just thought this would be a good topic for others. I have used juice Thst was well over 1.5 years old but 2 years is pushing it to the max imo

A

AnabolicPerformance

Yea nothing about an abscess would be full, worst part is the doc with a scalpel digging into that muscle 2" cleaning it out. That very thought is why i take sterility so serious

A

AnabolicPerformance

3rd get your autocorrect back!! Fun not full. Abscess would be plenty full but no fun at all

Nytex

To give you an idea of oil life MCT oil , the bottle I checked has an expiration date on it of 5 / 2018 .  

If stored properly away from light and heat as I mentioned above Id have no problem going a good way beyond that. 

csancheezy

.Thanks sources.- AP, NY, and UGL. WOuld you guys mind sharing your thoughts behind why you use the carrier oils you do in the majority of your gear?? I think this would be informative for current customers and potential ones also.

Uglpharma

Sure Mr. Csancheezy, I use to use only GSO a few years back, only because it was what i knew most sources or people used, I Now use mainly CSO ( cottonseed oil) . The reason is that it is thinner and it has a very good track record for people not having allergies or reaction to the carrier. I have used Safflower in the past as well I like that also.