Front calf pump

deluxe

So today during cardio something really weird happened. I got such bad front calf pump that I had to to get off the treadmill and switch over to a bike. Has this ever happened to anyone? Not sure what the deal is.. I'm drinking plenty.. probably a gallon and a half a day. Any thoughts?

Outlawthing

yeah last cycle tried tbol with trt and I calfs 

and back would get so tight I would have to stop running  when I was at work I was also getting wicked forearm pumps like big ole catfish Bellies ...:)

deluxe

hmm.. i'm only a week and half into cycle with E, but I've got two pins of prop in this week. could it be prop kicking in?

deluxe

Nah, that's it. I've changed from E 2x week (250 a shot) to, E+P 3x week. Running 150 E and 50 P in each shot.

A

Axle

would say it is the prop, the test E hasn't had time to fully kick in yet If your only in a week and a half. 

D

Dont_trip

Shin Pumps and I used to be at their mercy,On anavar it was torture.Here is a tip that will rid you of all shin/lower back/calf pumps 6 grams of taurine every day.POOF gone never have had them since =)

strong

if you feel it in 2 pins that wud be amazing. I have great prop that im hittin now. on my 6th pin just started feeling it. Just basic fatigue bro if u been hittin the cardio.

D

Dont_trip

Thats what we all are here for giving help and being helped,Its what make's this community strong!

strong

Yup ,the taurine helped me when I was on liquid var. got my taurine from amazon Now foods. Definitely works

deluxe

I'm gonna talk out of my ass now, so it's like one of the most abundant free amino acids in the muscle cell.. a type of osmolyte that enables better hydration of the cell (much like creatine), but what does that have to do with painful pump? My understanding is that both creatine (creatine also being a source of energy as creatine phosphate) and taurine enable you to work yourself harder in the gym and add volume to muscle because of extra retained water. Pump has to do with vasodilation and blood flow to the muscle.. so what I'm interested in is how does taurine help balance out the painful part of the pump in certain areas? 

A

Axle

good info trip.  I have never battled with it but that info is now in my log book.  Thanks bro.

deluxe

Ok, here's what I found. It seems that the mechanism is unclear, but it does alleviate muscle cramps (which this probably is) in both chronic liver disease patients but also in healthy individuals. I have cut back on salt and that may also be one of the culprits, gotta up the intake some it seems. I've just copied and pasted a paragraph from the article I found. It's kind of old, but it's the only reference I could find and it was referenced from a 2013 book (Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 775).

Effects of taurine administration in rat skeletal muscles on exercise. Yatabe Y1, Miyakawa S, Miyazaki T, Matsuzaki Y, Ochiai N. J Orthop Sci. 2003;8(3):415-9.

Muscle cramps are a common symptom of chronic liver diseases (CLDs).21,29 Recently, some papers have mentioned the effects of taurine on such cramps.21,29 Matsuzaki et al.21 reported that when taurine was given to CLD patients with muscle cramps the cramps disappeared or decreased. It was concluded that long-term administration of taurine was a safe, effective treatment for alleviating the muscle cramps associated with CLD. It is widely accepted that painful muscle cramps occur even in healthy people during some exercises and with fatigue. This type of cramp is mainly considered to be the result of a large loss of ions (Na, Cl) and water from the body. As the effects of taurine on muscle cramps have been reported in regard to several pathological conditions, it is suggested that taurine plays a role in the muscle cramps that occur during and after exercise, although the role of taurine in relation to exercise and its effect during exercise remain unclear.22 Furthermore, nothing has been reported on the effects of taurine administration in respect to taurine concentration in skeletal muscles during exercise.

deluxe

Found another article and as I suspected it has to do with ion channels. Here's a couple of excerpts form an article from "Taurine and skeletal muscle disorders." published in Neuorchemical Research back in 2004.

"Studies from our laboratory and others have shown that in both excitable and nonexcitable tissues taurine modulates cell function through its effects on ion channel activity. Thus taurine exerts an osmoregulatory action by leaving cells exposed to hypotonic stimulus through different channels permeable to taurine and anions (2,3). In excitable tissues, taurine has a recognized modulatory role on different ion channels, thus controlling membrane excitability and consequently tissue function."

"In fact, taurine increases chloride channel conductance and modulates gating and kinetic of the voltage-dependent sodium channel, with the overall effect of stabilizing the sarcolemma. Also it modulates the activity of various types of potassium channels and in particular of those able to couple the metabolic state of striated fibers to electrical activity, such as ATP-dependent (KATP) or Ca2-activated (KCa2) potassium channels. Finally, taurine controls intracellular calcium homeostasis, by modulating calcium handling mechanisms and consequently excitation-contraction coupling (for review see [5])."

"It has been long claimed that taurine exerts a stabilizing effect on the sarcolemma, reducing muscle fiber excitability. For this action taurine has been considered as therapeutically valuable in the treatment of myotonic syndromes, inherited disorders of skeletal muscle characterized by hyperexcitability, which in turn leads to delayed relaxation, spasms, and cramps."

You need calcium ions for muscle contraction but also other electrolytes to function properly. Taurine seems to modulate any kind of deficiency that might be going on and leads to muscle relaxation. So I guess especially when on gear you need to keep a look out on your minerals - supplement too little and you'll be having cramps, supplement too much and bloat up on water retention. I guess it means one needs to experiment to find that sweet spot for sodium, potassium, calcium and other ions.

How's this for science? lol