Gaining in a calorie defict - Is it possible?

SemperFi

I would make a terrible accountant but this..... I am really, really good at. That ain't bragging. That's just how some of us are made. Get your mind right Big Dog and you will follow close behind me. I can name a half a dozen members or more off the top of my head who have proven they have what it takes... JD, Dolf, KP, Strong, Blaster, Popeye, Calm, Scandal, Savage, Little K, Sensei, Fixit, etc. The list goes on and on brother and those are just the members that I can think of off the top of my head! ;)

BTW- if anyone has heard from littleyokes let him know we are here when he is ready!

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

First, I would say the newbie. All of us have been there, and most likely recall that first year or two before using gear. The gains (and losses) were almost phenomenal. But, does this happen for all newbies? Not at all. It still takes focus, disciplined training and diet, and a decent metabolic blueprint, or at least the drive to turn the sucker up.

In an ideal newbie, she or he would have had some athletic background, including military as that is athletic in many peoples view. They would be training 3-4 days per week, then moving up from there in reps, sets, training days. Their bodies, waiting, if not craving to grow out of the idleness of modern culture, a latent memory of times of hunting, gathering, war, raiding, following the seasons seeking to awaken, to ignite. When the fire is sparked, the body delights in being used once again. The receptors are primed for adding muscle, clearing the cobwebs of gluttony and laziness. The mind awakens, the mood elevates. Muscles have grown from flat to fuller, fat has dropped off to reveal some muscularity below the layer created by laziness;they press body weight, squat double, dead lift double. The drive is unstoppable...In a perfect newbie. This woman or man would be skinny fat perhaps, or even plain old fat, and simply cutting out the garbage food thus putting them in a deficit would or at least could gain while ingesting a caloric deficit diet. The scale weight would not be their method of ascertaining whether they gained muscle, it would indicated in strength gain and the way the clothes fit.

There is a spectrum of individuals with different metabolic profiles, receptor sensitivity, how and where the receptors of various sorts are dispersed throughout the body, and how much fat they have in excess, and how it is dispersed. 

Then they hit the level of an intermediate. A journal is meticulously, tracking workouts, running a vay of diets at this point, they know or have experienced carb cycling, and are wandering into new dietary and training protocols. They have busted through strength plateaus, and have finally got below 10% body fat. Muscle may be growing at an even faster rate as their nutrient partitioning is optimized through diet and consistent training. Maybe they even ran a natty bulk. Then, during a cut, and if it is done correctly, they may even be able to put on a few pounds over an 8-12 week period.  The age of the person is important as well. As we know, the older we get, the more effort is required.

Now, our guy or gal may be in the position to run gear... We know how that could go, age and dedication will play a big part in this. And yes, in a deficit, if done right, gains at the very least will be possible to maintain, if not throwing on a pound or two of LOYAL gains, not water weight, per month. Diet will play a major role here, and just how far in a deficit one is, will govern whether or not gains will be possible. A slight deficit, sure, a huge deficit, not likely. And, as one furthers in their progress and process, we have to recognize that we are fighting against homeostasis, myostatin will be the enemy in a sense (Flex Wheeler is said to have very little myostatin, thats why he just has to look at some dumb bells and he grows like a weed!). The body isn't going to want to grow past a certain point, it makes no sense for the body to grow so huge that its basic function of hunting, gathering, procreating, and raiding would be hampered by having to lug around 300 pounds of mass. Shit, catching that amount of food to maintain that size would wipe out the entire animal kingdom rather quickly if every body was like that! Anyhow, the gains will slow mostly due to biological systems keeping the body at a size that would allow for survival.

Then there are those with too much myostatin production and never make any gains whether on or off gear. If the myostatin is in excess, muscle just simply will not grow, especially in a deficit, whether they have loads of experience or not.

Here, we have come full circle, from the lazy fat person who couldn't survive in the wild whose body is anxious to get rolling, to the fit athlete who could take on an animal and eat the thing, to the body that is so big, that it couldn't run through the thickets to escape a herd of wild beasts thirsting for the blood of a man. 

There are so many factors to consider when tackling the question "Who would make the most gains, the newbie or the advanced lifter?" It just simply depends...

malthouse5656

Personally I agree with what most have said here about tren being the go to compound if gaining lean mass while in a deficit. But I also believe the more experience you have, the less likely that it will happen and this is my thinking and reasoning behind it. When you're first embarkin on your fitness journey, it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you put the time in at the gym, and are getting your 8 hours, you will see muscle gain as your body isn't use to the workload. But after you experience that break in newbie gains, your body is now accustomed to that workload and need proper nutrition to see added benefits. You may get more shredded on a deficit which may look like you're gaining lean mass but In reality you are just thinning the skin and any fat deposits you may have. The only way in my opinion to gain lean mass while in a deficit is if you are using a compound such as tren, or even masterone. Not to say it's impossible as everybody's body is different so there is no right or wrong answer here.