How long so you work out for

buster

So I'm of the school of thought of more is not better when hitting iron (time spent in the gym), and that one should get in, hit it hard, and get out. I spend around 30 or 40 minutes in the gym, sometimes as low as 20 minutes! Then I hear about other guys hitting it for two hours??

The reason I say this is because I bust my ass for those 30 minutes (single body parts per session) and see moderate gains, but am wiped out after that 30 minutes bustin ass, and thought to avoid cortisol levels by getting in/out quick. Am I wrong? When I'm OFF, should I Be trying to stay in the gym for an hr or two, is that not counter productive?

I saw somewhere of a 20lb transformation of a young guy on a short 7 week cycle that absolutely transformed himself in those 7 weeks (on gear of course), who said he's in the gym for 2 hrs daily, both on and off cycle...

How long are you other ectomorphs in the gym each day?

CrazyMonkey

A lot of factors, including personal preference, social interaction, goals, etc, come into play on a subject like this.
If you think of it more of work done rather than time spent, then someone in there for 30mins busting their ass
like yourself, is probably doing more work (and in turn get better results) than someone in there for 2 hours doing
a half-ass workout. You can break it down further into weight lifted in that time too and you'll probably be lifting
more despite the significantly shorter time.

Time spent may also relate to reps/weight and sets. Again the work done comes into play and someone doing low
reps with high weight is going to be doing more work faster but in turn be done (exhausted) sooner, where a high
rep routine is obviously going to have them in the gym simply because it takes longer to do.

This then bring up the ever going topic of whats better, high rep/low weight, or low rep/high weight.....and again,
many factors determine this, but mostly what your goals are.

IMO if you're looking to gain muscle, and you aren't exhausted after lifting for 30-60 minutes, you aren't lifting enough or hard enough.
As well, if you're in the gym for hours on end, you probably don't have a very good routine and are lifting all over the place rather than
focusing on a specific body area. This means you could end up working everything a little each time and if you're a regular gym goer,
you arent allowing enough time between workouts to recover.
So finally to your question...when youre on cycle you recover faster so you can kill yourself in the gym, but when off cycle, you probably
don't go as hard and might be pushed more to a maintenance workout. If you can keep going, why not? Just be sure you have the time
in there to recover before you hit the same areas again next time, and keep an organized routine as doing a full body requires a good
amount of down time before doing it again.