How to grow arms?!?!

malthouse5656

hey guys just wanted to know if you's had any arm workouts that cater to both strength and hypertrophy. My current routine has gotten me stronger but the size still is the same I feel. My current routine is as follows
One arm preacher curls 3 sets 12/10/8
Ez curl bar 3 sets 15/12/8
Concentration curls 3 sets 20/20/20
Barbell curl 3 sets 10/8/6

What would you guys recommend or do any of you have a nice arm shocker workout you'd be willing to post? I'm very insecure about my arms I feel they are small compared the rest of my body and am focusing on my weak points. Any help would be greatly appreciated brothers and sisters thankyou!

SemperFi

Focusing on your biceps will provide limited results concerning overall arm size... 2/3 of your upper arm is in the triceps so if you want bigger arms focus on compound exercises that will provide blood flow to the entire upper arm region.

I would never recommend isolation exercises for a beginner trying to gain mass. Compound exercises is the way to go. Looking at the big picture of the entire arm is most important in the beginning. Focusing on the details come later. 

Build for size and strength not endurance. Get bigger by lifting heavier with fewer reps. Believe it or not squats and deadlifts will build you arm size and strength faster than curls or tricep extensions. Controlling the weight and engaging the muscle groups are keys to success.

Pushups, Pullups, Supersets, Inverted Rows and Dips have never failed to provide me with positive results.

SEMPER FI

anabolx

Compound exercises will do the job. you may look on the Bill Starr 5X5 training program. I did it in the past and it shows results. the idea is only compound exercises. most of them belong to power lifting. I gained very well from them.

Good luck.

Dolf

X2 SF...focus on the tricep as well  ecause it's 2/3 of your arm. 

Also try hitting your arms more than once a week. 2 or even 3 times to shock them in to growth. If what hour doing now isn't working then change it up. 5x5, German volume, super sets, drop sets, or something else. We are all different and respond different to various methods. Find what works best for you. Genetics also play a role too.

I

icdeadlifters

X2 love old pushups, pull ups....etc. Shit I got one of those old door jam pull up bar. Works wonders.

Dolf

All us old military boys love push-ups and pull ups. They pounded that shit into our heads, and that water and motrin cure everything that ails you.

malthouse5656

thankyou brothers I will be focusing more on the tricep, also incorporating more compound movements into my routine, as well as giving the 5X5 a fair shot. This is what I love about bodybuilding there's so many ways to transform even when you're routine has become stagnant it can never get boring! Thanks again brothers lift on

I

icdeadlifters

Damn right brother..... Can still here drill Sgt (10 more you FUKIN pussy). I do them in bathroom at work, shit after some sex I do 100+.

JARHEAD2

Take a 10-15 lb dumbbell & do 3 sets of 100 of skullcrushers & hammerfists. Do this every night aside from your regular routine. I got this from Rich Piana.

Big Nasty

Just like most on here stated compound exercises will do the most in my opinion but you also have to take a larger approach and mix it up. I have terribly long arms so size has been an issue for me. What has worked best over the years is dips weighted and BW, close grip bench, tri extensions. For bis typical BB curls, Db hammer curls, chins with reverse grip (palms facing you) will absolutely blast the bis. I do hard and heavy with all exercises listed above as well as high rep, squeeze and burn with drop sets. Youtube CT Fletchers 200 rep arm routine. Its a smoker and one of the best tricep workouts Ive ever done. When I finished my tris were sore for 2 days like it was the first time I ever done triceps and I rarely get nothing more than a little soreness. Also try increasing your total sets to 16-20 sets for a few weeks then drop back down. 

I

icdeadlifters

JARHEAD2 said:
</p><p>Take a 10-15 lb dumbbell & do 3 sets of 100 of skullcrushers & hammerfists. Do this every night aside from your regular routine. I got this from Rich Piana.</p><p>
 </p><p>The "Piano".... I met him in Vegas last year...  That is one huuuuuuuge brother.</p><p> </p>

M

Mister A

I have to respectfully disagree with most of the guys here. Although I wouldn't tell anyone looking to improve their arm size not to do barbell curls or dips, I think a beginner bypasses an important step in building their arms this way.

When I was younger I remember being able to do alternate dumbbell curls with 55 pound dumbbells for reps. I thought that with more size and experience I'd easily be able to use the 70s, 80s, hell maybe one day I'd do curls with the 100s. Well I'm a lot bigger and stronger than I used to be and I've put several inches on my arms since then. And today I did alternate dumbbell curls with 15 pounders, used the 20 pounders for 2 sets, then got the 25s for a set of 10 on the last set. Not quite where I thought I'd be.

Being able to contract the muscle OPTIMALLY through a full range of motion throughout the entire workout is the most effective way to stimulate muscle growth. Understanding the full range of motion is key. Full contraction is with the humerus above the head, perpendicular the floor. Full stretch has the humerus behind the torso with the wrist pronated. For the triceps, it's the opposite of that. They are antagonist muscle groups. Contracting one stretches the other. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times - it's not what you do, but HOW you do it that really matters. I guarantee that I can stimulate more muscle fibers with a 20 pound dumbbell than the average gym goer can do with the 60s or the 100s. The execution of the exercises, not the exercises themselves, will always be more important. I don't think about my training as how much weight I can push, but rather how hard I can contract my muscles against a weight. Once you make that shift in thinking you realize how beneficial isolation exercises, especially for the upper arms, can really be.

SemperFi

Griz,

I cannot disagree with your post or find any fault in it what so ever. Though it needs to be pointed out that the OP is a beginner and compound exercises are the quickest way to build muscle size and strength in the beginning because we access the greatest number of muscle fibers during compound exercises than we do in isolations and the body is virgin for growth. You also have a greater release of hormones in compound exercises vs. isolations that your body will be able to utilize for growth and development. Compound exercise will also help avoid overtraining until the OP has a handle on his body and limits. 

Isolations are critical for - building symmetry, utilizing the full range of motion, mind-muscle connection, etc. and that is why I cannot disagree with your post.

I adhere to the same training philosophy as you but I will have to stick by advice concerning focusing on compounds for muscle growth & strength for the beginner. Once a solid foundation is formed then the OP has a balanced and stable platform to build upon.

I am no way a training expert but I certainly am an expert at having an opinion! ;)

We all know because we have "been there and done that" that discipline, execution, technique and consistency are the keys to any training program. There is certainly no shortcuts in achieving the physiques we all want to achieve.... whatever that may end up looking like. ;)

Time to go paint a fence... Huck out.

GREAT READS!

SEMPER FI

M

Mister A

I am absolutely loving how the most simple topic of "How to grow arms" can fuel so much good discussion. "The most basic things take the longest to master." The reality is that neither one of us are disagreeing with the other. I think you can build an above average, strong, highly athletic physique with only 4 exercises - chins, dips, squats, and deadlifts.

I think I could argue that the first 6 months of someone's training career can be benefited by any kind of training so long as the trainer is working hard.  You could do nothing but squats 4 days a week and your upper body will grow during those first 6 months. Your back will get thicker, your core will strengthen, your traps will respond to the weight of the bar pressing into them, your chest and shoulders will develop from being so taught at the bottom of the rep, your neck will thicken from the strain of pushing, your hands will get stronger from loading the plates onto and off the bar, etc. So whether you do 3 sets of barbell curls for 10 reps or a highly specialized bicep workout featuring 5 different exercises for 3 sets each that hit the bicep from a variety of angles and emphasize full range of motion, your biceps will grow in those first 6 months. I personally think that if bodybuilding is the goal, then emphasizing isolation work right out of the gate is the best way to go. It doesn't make sense to start prioritizing the mind muscle connection after the first year of basically just throwing around weight. It's safer and more effective to emphasize learning how to contract your muscles optimally from day one. And the best way to learn that skill is through isolation work.

Another point I want to bring up is that there are no compound movements for the biceps. Bicep contraction is achieved through elbow flexion. There's only one joint involved. The forearms are involved in all bicep exercises, but they're also involved in everything that requires us to hold something. A compound exercise is defined as: any exercise that engages two or more different joints to fully stimulate entire muscle groups and, indeed, multiple muscles. Only dips and close grip bench presses are compound movements associated with triceps training because they involve elbow flexion and shoulder extension. 90% of upper arm training falls under isolation work. 

The argument then is whether or not compound movements are the most effective way for beginners to build muscle. If that is true then you'd have to be willing to tell someone not to specifically target their upper arms during their initiation into weight training. This is dependent on goals. Should high school freshman trying out for football incorporate db curls and tricep pushdowns into their first weight training program? The science points to no because isolation work is going to work against the body functioning as a single unit. When you tackle someone, you don't use your lats or your pecs, you use your entire body. The body then must develop the skill of acting synergistically with itself. This helps avoid injury on the field. Athletes should train with almost exclusively compound movements and sport specific movements.

But if body composition is the goal, and most people who start training have an initial goal of increasing their arm size (as per OP) then specifically targeting the arms should not only be a necessity, but a priority. If arm training is made a priority then emphasizing peak contraction and a full stretch through a variety of angles with reps in the 8-15 range is going to be the most effective plan for both developing the skill of optimally contracting the muscle and building size.

I'm off to win Becky Thatcher's heart.